Author Topic: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan  (Read 2163 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan
« on: Tuesday 05 May 20 02:58 BST (UK) »
In Griffiths Valuation, 1862, there is a Quinton Stevenson leasing a house, office, land from a Hugh Montgomery in Lismavallaghan, Dunaghy parish, Co. Antrim. He also is the immediate lessor (next line) and leases to a Nathaniel Morton. Next line is a William Stevenson leasing from same Hugh Montgomery.

In the 1825 Tithe Applotments, same townland, is a Robert Stephenson. I presume this is their father.

Does anyone connect these two Stevensons to a father named Robert and can tell me more about Robert?

(there is an older thread on this board with a Quinten Stevenson but I think he is a different person)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Quinton Stevenson Lismavallaghan
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 03:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks gaffy: I think the William Stevenson marriage is correct but the Quinten Stevenson marriage to Hessie Knox is a different person.  I just found Quinten's will on the PRONI website and he died in 1877.

Also- the 1825 Tithe Applotments show Quinten next to Robert and William. So I now presume they could be brothers (or Robert is the father of the other two) and it's Robert that I'm looking for.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Stevenson Lismavallaghan
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
For reference-
The Will of Quintain Stevenson late of Limavallaghan County Antrim Farmer deceased who died 5 November 1877 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of John Maxwell Farmer and David A. Heaney Schoolmaster both of Limavallaghan (Clough) same County the Executors. Will mentions son Robert.

Probate of the Will of Quinton Stevenson late of Charles-street Ballymoney County Antrim Salesman who died 26 January 1899 granted at Belfast to John Thompson M'Cracken of Union street Ballymoney Clerk. Will mentions Wm. Stevenson.
Quintin Hugh Stevenson born Charles St., son of Quinton & Hessie (Knox)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03399/2246464.pdf

1851 census extracts- Limavallaghan townland-
http://www.ulsterancestry.com/free/ShowFreePage-79.html#gsc.tab=0
#3 John Stevenson
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1851/Antrim/Kilconway/Newtown_Crommelin/Linnavallaghan/3/
#9 Quintin Stevenson
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1851/Antrim/Kilconway/Newtown_Crommelin/Linnavallaghan/9/
#10 William Stevenson
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1851/Antrim/Kilconway/Newtown_Crommelin/Linnavallaghan/10/
#11 William Stevenson
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1851/Antrim/Kilconway/Newtown_Crommelin/Linnavallaghan/11/
#13 William Stevenson
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1851/Antrim/Kilconway/Newtown_Crommelin/Linnavallaghan/13/

National Archives transcriptions not good- see original images from links given
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census abstracts, Quintin Stevenson's age shows him born approximately in 1796 and William Stevenson in 1785. I assume that they are the sons of the Robert Stevenson whom I am looking for. I say this because of two Pre 1858 Wills:

1. Will of Moses PAUL of Skerry in 1826. Executors were Archibald ELDER and R. STEVENSON.
2. Will of Archibald ELDER, Ahoghill, in 1830. Executors were John PAUL and Robert STEPHENSON.

John Paul was the oldest son of Moses Paul and John was born in 1777. He had (a son, I believe) named William Paul who appeared in the 1825 Tithe Applotments in Tullykittagh townland adjacent to Lismavallaghan (Limavallaghan). Only 11 names separate Wm. Paul and Robert Stevenson in the 1825 Tithes. There are other Robert Stevensons in the Ballymena area but for some reason I think this Robert (in Lismavallaghan) is the one named in the 2 Wills mentioned above. There may be a blood relationship between Elder, Paul and Stevenson but only DNA matching might be able to prove that. If Moses Paul and Archibald Elder died as old men in 1826 and 1830, respectively, then Robert Stevenson was probably of their age/era and born in the 1750's.

Offline nkiaora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 November 20 02:28 GMT (UK) »
lanarman, I am curious if you have been able to connect Quintain and William Stevenson to the elder Robert? Quintain's son, Robert, was my g-g-grandfather. That Robert was a doctor, who died in Tullykittaugh,  and is reported to have been buried in the Clough Churchyard burying grounds in 1880.
Noble, McVicker, Stevenson, Crow, Baxter, Dean, Alcock, Dunlop

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 20 15:25 GMT (UK) »
nkiaora- unfortunately the answer is no. The records are so scarce for that time period that I believe the only avenue to prove this is DNA matching. I will do a more thorough check with my DNA sites and report back to you.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 November 20 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Clough Cemetery Plot Owners 1875-1937 list a Robert Stevenson from Limavalaghan with plot # 385; 2 graves. No date given. Not sure if this is your Robert.

I see that the 1880 Will of Dr. Robert Stevenson of Tullykittagh left his estate to his wife Grace.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 November 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I see that the 1880 Will of Dr. Robert Stevenson of Tullykittagh left his estate to his wife Grace.

Robert Stevenson left no Will and his widow Grace was granted letters of adminstration to administer the estate according to law-
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Robert Stevenson late of Tullykittagh County Antrim M.D. deceased who died 14 June 1880 at same place were granted at Belfast to Grace Stevenson of Tullykittagh the Widow of said deceased.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!