Author Topic: Info sought on Thompson family on this grave stone, please.  (Read 3929 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Info sought on Thompson family on this grave stone, please.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 June 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me and I used a Durham Records Online credit to get Isabella Sarah's 1818 baptism, as I couldn't find it in the BT's.

It appears that the family were Roman Catholic which accounts for the wording of the first couple of lines on the gravestone.

25 Aug 1818 Isabella Sarah Thompson, born 23 Aug 1818, 2nd daughter of William Thompson (merchant, native of Newcastle-upon-Tyne) by his wife Isabella (daughter of Peter Mellis, merchant of Aberdeen), baptized by James Worswick, Romish priest

The record is in fact from a 'Dissenter's list' in the All Saints records. None of them were actually baptised there, despite what Family Search would have you believe.

Further investigation reveals that James Worswick was the priest at St Andrew's Catholic Church in Newcastle.

And here is the baptism at St Andrew's again from Family Search  :-X https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJCK-XZ6
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 June 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Going back to the gravestone and the date of Isabella Sarah's death.

Given that she had a brother called Stephen Octavius Thompson, this must be her death, in North Shields in 1874 (2nd q 1874, Tynemouth 10b 118, aged 55), which will make her burial much easier to find.

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 June 20 14:42 BST (UK) »
Any link to Ancestry is only accessible to people who have a subscription.

Ah right, I will use family Search for links  ;)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 June 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
William Thompson was buried in Jesmond Old Cemetery on 12th May 1848
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-ZQV5?i=505&cat=828520
(Section 4F, extreme r-h column)

On 3rd August 1971 his body, along with several others, was exhumed and re-interred in Plot F2/4 of the same cemetery
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-CSWN-4?i=843&cat=828520

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 June 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Marriage notice in Newcastle Courant 12 June 1840  at the " Catholic Chapel on the 8th inst by the Rev James Worswick, B.G Tyzack, Esq., solicitor  to Elizabeth Louisa eldest daughter of William Thompson Esq., merchant".

1851 census has Isabella Thompson in the home of the Tyzacks in Bridgwater Somerset showing as mother in law age 59 and born Aberdeen. 1861 has her in Tynemouth with now widowed daughter Elizabeth Tyzack. She is listed as blind. She is not with Elizabeth in 1871 and so will look for death between 1861 and 1871.

William

Added : One possible death for Isabella Thompson in Tynemouth RD Apr- Jun 1870 age 78.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
Added : One possible death for Isabella Thompson in Tynemouth RD Apr- Jun 1870 age 78.

William the only problem with that one is that the memorial stone seems to have the month of August in relation to Isabella senior’s death  :-\

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
I think I have now found Isabella in the 1871 census living in Jarrow - again she is showing as blind. The entry states grandmother but not clear as to who she is grandmother of!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Whoa!  What an incredible amount of info has come forth since I first posted this morning!  Thank you all so much - this is way beyond what I dared hoped for!  Also many thanks for using a credit Jen to figure out the puzzle to the baptisms. 

I have looked again at the image closely in light of what information has come forth and although not 100% about this I think I can now make sense of a few more words of the inscription.  I think it might read ..
..'ISABELLA THOMPSON
HIS WIFE WHO DIED AT ABERDEEN
AUG 27 ..'

I don't know what any one else might think  .. is the part about Aberdeen there or am I imagining it?  Might she have gone back to Aberdeen after Jarrow where you, Millmoor have discovered her, I wonder?  When I next get time to get to that cemetery I am going to have another close look at the inscription.

I am on nightshift coming up tonight but I do hope to collate all this info and add this to their biographies by tomorrow evening.  As soon as it is safe for the library to reopen I will certainly chase up the burials (although wife Isabella) may have been buried in Aberdeen perhaps?  With the 'will' info you found Jen I think this will certainly make it easier to find a burial.  Likely Old Tynemouth Cemetery or Preston Cemetery I suspect.  If burials were at Tynemouth the cause of death may also be included in the entry.

I will also check out the A-Z files for more info at the local studies when this reopens.

I will post anything I find on here and on Find A Grave.

Who would have thought so much would have been found and so quickly from one very old and ravaged inscription.  Great detective work everyone!  I really appreciate everyone who has contributed with help.  When I do get this all on the site as a 'biography' I am sure this will all be very helpful to the all their Thompson descendants who might view this on Find A Grave.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 June 20 16:37 BST (UK) »

Further investigation reveals that James Worswick was the priest at St Andrew's Catholic Church in Newcastle.

and he was the priest who, in 1798,  founded the first RC church in Newcastle since the Reformation.

Worswick St., where St Andrew's is was named for him.

and I used to catch the bus home from school at Worswick St bus station (long gone now) in the 1960s.

Boo