Author Topic: The Snows of Ontario  (Read 594 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Snows of Ontario
« on: Tuesday 07 July 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there I always find relative tracing in Canada difficult and would appreciate some help, please in tracing my distant cousins the Snows, who came to Canada at around the end of 1851. (In Devon England in 1851 census for 30 March and in Canada for the same census, taken Jan. 1852). They were the children of John Snow, a blacksmith, and Susanna/Susan Bowden.  I believe that James Bowden Snow, baptised Sept 1822; Joshua Snow, bapt. 27 Jan, 1828 and Arabella Snow bapt. Jan 1833 all came to Canada. I have traced them all to Ontario. Arabella married Frederick Turner and I have her death and that of several children, Joshua married Margaret Jakes in1863 in Port Hope and they had a daughter Sarah in 1865. I have them in 1871 but can trace the adults no further. Sarah married William Ward in 1883 and I have her in 1911 on a farm in Grey East, Ontario with her 2 children Joseph and Mabel. I haven't located any deaths for Joshua's family.
James Bowden Snow is present in 1851 in Pickering, Ontario as a blacksmith but I cannot find him after that.
Help with either of the 2 boys (James and Joshua) would be most kind and very much appreciated.
Thanks

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: The Snows of Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
Mais oł sont les neiges d'ontario?

[Sorry, couldn't resist.  I agree that Canada is difficult.]
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Joshua Snow, 1861, Port Hope, Durham
single, but with family members, including children. Wesleyan Methodist,
is that a match? Did maybe James B die and Joshua had the family - just a wild guess for now.
unless the numbers go with the man on the next line?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pot/
click on .pdf or .jpg to view the image.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
was Margaret Jakes also known as Mary?
1881 Clarke, Durham
Mary Snow, 40, servant, born in England
Sarah Snow, 16, servant, born in Ontario
both: Bible Christian
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pou/

1881 Clarke, Durham
daughter Martha Snow, 14, servant, born in Ontario, Bible Christian
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pov/

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
1901 Census Grey East

William J Ward 40, April 29, 1860
Sarah S, 34, June 27, 1866
Alexander, 14, June 6, 1886
Mary F, 12, March 6 1889
Mable E, 8, Sept 6, 1892
Joseph W, 5, July 5/6, 1895

I'm having problems with the Canada census site at the moment. That came from ancestry.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
It looks like the Joshua Snow in the 1861 census (above) is living with the family of James Brownscombe. There are 7 people listed as members of that family; Joshua is listed as not a member of the family.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there all, thanks.
Joshua must die between 1871 and 1881 as Mary/Margaret is listed as a widow in 1881 and Joshua is with her in 1871./ Although I know that daughter Sarah married a William Ward, this cannot be the Sarah with William James Ward, farmer  with children Joseph and Mabel,(my mistake) this Sarah was Sarah Jane something else entirely, consistently. So I think from the 1871 census Joshua And Mary/Margaret had 4 children - Charles (1863) Sarah (1865) and Mary and Martha (1868). I would dearly love to find Joshua's death between 1871 and 1881(when Mary/Margaret is a widow) and in 1881 with only Sarah and Martha Snow listed with her.
Thanks

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Here is a few more sources.

The Bomanville Library (Clarington) has an extensive old news paper section covering Darlington/Port Hope and Bowmanville from the mid 1800's and I have used it many times.

http://www.clarington-library.on.ca/localhistory

But the place that has oodles on the old families is the OGS Durham Region Branch in Oshawa.
durham@ogs.on.ca

Their local museum is a good source as well you will see their link in the Library.

There are lots of online publications such Bomanville Early Settlers; Early Settlement and Pioneers of Darlington; Towns & Villages of Ontario (1866).

Bible Christian and Wesleyan records are scarce; Sir Sanford Fleming College had a few years in their archives covering this area.  Its been maybe 30 years since I was looking for these and I am not sure if they are still there or were moved elsewhere.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
It looks like the Joshua Snow in the 1861 census (above) is living with the family of James Brownscombe. There are 7 people listed as members of that family; Joshua is listed as not a member of the family.

PB
Thanks, I'm not that familiar with the Canadian censuses. I was looking at it like the early US censuses where they list just the head of household, followed by a breakdown of males and females by age group.