Author Topic: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Forfarian. Great advice , I always try and remember that.

There are quite a few folks with the name McKrenkine or similar in Maybole at the time and before. I was getting excited thinking I had found the right Agnes Mckrinkine born late 1724 ...17 years before the 1740 birth mentioned earlier. Looking at it again that would make the tailor from 1688 far too old to be the John Stewart that married the lass born in 1724. So the 1688 John could have had a son of the same name that did... or because the name Agness was so popular ...and there were many McKrinkine's about, I could easily see a case where the 1724 Agness is the wrong record and the right one is simply missing (only one Agnes Mckrinkine on SP back then).

The earliest records on SP for anyone with a surname starting with Mc ____ is 1710 and you don't see McKrinkine until later.

On FindMyPast you see many McKrenkine/McRankine in the area back to early 1600's. They don't list births for an Agness's but they mention several marriages. None to a John Stewart but that would be too easy.  ;D

First name(s) Agnes
Last name McCreinkine
Marriage date 13 Aug 1646

First name(s) Agnes
Last name McRankine
Banns date 05 Feb 1687

Tempting as it is ... I won't put Agnes McKrenkine 1724 parents in my tree. That's where all the trouble starts. I'll be happy with I have found so far and keep looking.

Perhaps Agness McKrinkine is the mother of James (listed as father of 1724 Agness on SP)   ::)
I say this because while there are many McKrenkine's about the area, there are only so many actually in the toun of Maybole, James being one of them.

Another interesting one:

First name(s) Gilbert
Last name McRankine
Description Wright in Maybol
Source List of witnesses agst Thomas Kennedy of Graing 1685

Also I still haven't found Coories Miln where the Stewart births took place to see it's distance from Maybole. Any help there appreciated.

Last name Stewart
Birth date 05 Nov 1740
Residence Cories Miln
Place Maybole
Mother's last name McKintein <--- looking a lot like McLinteen

Of course ancestry tells you what you want to hear... if you say you are related to Quintin Stewart then you are related to John Stewart of Moulin ...suddenly it auto-fills that you are directly related to the House of Stewart and all the lords, kings , queens...pure fantasy.

I'll report back if I find any new clues.

Thank you.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 22:32 GMT (UK) »
You are right not to use the function or "  similar " when searching for names on trees of ancestry DNA matches

But I can recommend doing searches 1 spelling at a time
With alternative s
McKrenkine
McCrinken
McRankine

And always put a possible parent at top of tree . Without a first name if you find a sibling

Of course if your DNA matches have incorrect information copied from each other you might get odd suggestions which don't fit your research for thru lines

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 February 23 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. The feature "Surname in matches trees" is hardly useful at best and more likely to sew misinformation than anything anyways.

I prefer the feature "match name" showing living DNA relatives with that name. In this case not much comes up besides several McCrackin ...which is similar to McKraikin (one of the variations). Not  many Rankin-related names.

Agnes McKrenkine would be 7 or more generations back of me so that probably effects the above.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 February 23 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Some of the variations:

MCKRENKINE , MCKRENKIN , MCKRINNILL , MCKRINNLE , MCKRIN , McKrankin , McRainkin , McCrenkein , McCrinkin , McCronkin , McRamken , McRankein , McRanken , McRemkin , McRenken , McRenkin , McRinkin , McRainking , McCainkin , McKrakin , McCrankine , McCrankane , McCrankyne , McRamkine , McRankane , McRankene , McRankin , McRankine , McRenkine , McCrintone , McCainkin , McCrakine , McCrindie , McRinking , McRinking , McRinkin ....

I'm sure there are probably many more ways to hear and spell the name.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I find " matches in surnames tree" more useful
Because you find descendants thru the female lines . Also some women put their married name so even if a McKrenkine wouldn't show up

If you know you match DNA and they have one of those names in their tree it's worth checking out . Also look at your mutual matches with them if they have small trees you may be able to identify common ancestor

I colour code  or put star for matches with a certain surname + variations that I'm investigating . So I can come back to that group when I've identified more people on the tree
I remove them from group if I see they relate from a different side

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:31 GMT (UK) »
My father had ancestors from MAYBOLE
I looked at my aunts DNA results
Just to
 test out my theory that unusual names only show up if you have exact spellings

I punched in 5 varietie of McKrenkine surnames ...no matches

To counterbalance I  typed in the more common surname CRAWFORD ( less spelling options too) and got lots of matches but our Crawford's were from Fife
Interestingly one of the matches...with a huge tree user  surname s mckichine

As an extra check for fun

I added a location search of Maybole to the  Crawford search and have a distant match  IW

She has Agnes Crawford  1749
Husband Quinton
Daughter  Janet Stewart died Australia

Try using the location search with a name maybe you will get similar results

+ Maybe we should compare notes
I.ll see if IW matches my DNA too
But am busy this morning

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 February 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have used those very features a lot and in combo but didn't really know what I was doing/seeing.

She has Agnes Crawford  1749
Husband Quinton
Daughter  Janet Stewart died Australia

Yes , those are my grandparents that we are discussing here. Same Quintin. Janet died in Ayr not Aussie but the rest is correct. I spent too long searching Australia for them.  8)

They are buried together in Ayr:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/206799471/janet-steward-orr

Janet and John died at the longtime family home on Windmill st. Ayr

Janet Stewart's death cert:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jVThAqiapQFSuNznsb8bCkgCQMChoAB9/view?usp=share_link

John Orr's death cert:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TftaxHgZ6YZkygxNkT9KQS5nLY8Skeep/view?usp=share_link

Quintin's wife Agnes Crawford's parents are: (and I have researched extensively)
Janet McClewnan 14/10/1713 Maybole (another last name with many variations)
Archibald Crawford 1709 (birth not found yet. I have seen dozens of variations on Crawford)

Does that mean we are related?

Anyhow that is very interesting. I'll try plugging some stuff in and see if anything interesting comes up.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 February 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
yes we must be related but very distant as this person matches my aunt by 8cm and doesnt match me

we have an isabel crawford who married william robertson in govern lanarkshire  lots of dna matches and thru lines to 5 of their children
check out her tree its called
 mary's DNA to macdermid /stephenson/ McKay/kyle

just found a floating branch with marion Crauford daughter of mathew who married william JOHNStson in old kirkpatrick son james b 1740 m

pm me your ancestry user name and i,ll see if we match you too

do you match anyone called IW ? probably not if there are too many generations between you and agnes  Crawford

offhand i  think we have a janet orr on tree

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 February 23 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Janet Orr is the daughter of Janet Stewart and John Orr. She had my grandfather Frederick out of wedlock with Frederick Adolphus McPherson (epic thread about it here on Rootschat) and then she married a chap called William Edgar and had a family.

A known common ancestor to Quintin Stewart and Agnes Crawford that you might try plugging in is stance35noc. Funny , I was just in the process of writing her when you chimed in.