Author Topic: John and Jane Williams Froncysyllte  (Read 524 times)

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Jane Williams Froncysyllte
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget for your info while I was typing my reply.  I'm sure this is right.  I think Llwynmawr is a hamlet near Glyn Ceiriog village.
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
Well done everybody on disambiguating people with these so very common Welsh surnames. I'd have cautioned against assuming neighbouring Davieses were related, but you never know.

(Just finally decided, still short of absolute proof, which Thomas Morris born 1821 in nearby Llangynog was my ancestor. The less interesting one, as it happens.)

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
I just read properly your reply Gadget, and hadn't noticed you had put Llwynmawr between Glyn and Pontfadog.  This is a warning to me to read replies thoroughly, I just got a bit excited!!!!!!
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is. 

I grew up in Chirk and went to secondary school in Llangollen. Some of my friends were from Llwymawr. 

I think they used to have sheep dog trials near there. We used to go with some farmer friends of my parents. Also a nice pub - the Golden Pheasant  :D

Gadget

I left the area to go to university when I was 18 and only went back to visit parents and other relatives. Sadly there are very few left.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, I lived in the Fron early 1970s for few years as a child.  So I also went to Dinas Bran School!! 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
I was gone by then  ;D

It was Llangollen Grammar School until about 1960ish, when  I was in 4th or 5th form. Then it became a comprehensive as Dinas Bran School. I expect you had some of the same teachers as me though!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
The deputy head in the 70s was Mr Potter. He was in Llangollen Grammar the same year as my grandfather in the 1920s.  He was from Chirk.  Mr Gibson was my form teacher, he taught biology. I also remember a Mr. T.V. Jones. My Welsh teacher was Revd R. Coetmor Jones. No other names come to mind at the moment, but plenty of faces!!!