Author Topic: WW2 British uniform question  (Read 1808 times)

Offline tonip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 British uniform question
« on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, my grandparents were married during WW2 in Jerusalem. He was with the RAF and she was with the WATS. In their wedding photos there are a couple of men who do not appear to have any badges etc on their uniforms. I have been hoping to find out who one of them is and was wondering if the uniform gave any hint at all? Or if the lack of badges actually makes it unlikely I can find out more?

I have attached one of the photos with the man in question beside the bride. He does not appear to fit age or look for any of her male relatives so I am not sure why he is in the bridal party photo holding the brides hand?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 British uniform question
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
He is in the army rather than the RAF.  They may all have been members of a bi-/tri-service outfit and he perhaps her superior.  The man on the right is in the RAF.  You could apply for her records which would show what unit she was in at the time which may help a little,

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »
have you checked marriage certificate see if witnesses are listed ? He is an army corporal

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean she was in the WAAFs?
GEDmatch M157477

guest141721

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »
WATS, Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, though usually just known as the ATS

Offline tonip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
He is in the army rather than the RAF.  They may all have been members of a bi-/tri-service outfit and he perhaps her superior.  The man on the right is in the RAF.  You could apply for her records which would show what unit she was in at the time which may help a little,

MaxD

Thanks for your reply!  The records I have say that my grandfather was RAF and grandmother was with 512 Company Auxiliary Territorial Service. So, the man in question is army? Would it fit for him to be an officer with that unit? Would it have been acceptable for them to be holding hands?

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
that is the ATS. The three women's services were

WRENS - Navy
ATS - Army
WAAF - Air Force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_Territorial_Service
GEDmatch M157477

Offline tonip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
have you checked marriage certificate see if witnesses are listed ? He is an army corporal

Ady

Hi there, yes I have the certificate. I haven't managed to find any other records of the male witness, military or otherwise. Having said that, looking at the photo I feel like the younger guy is more likely to be the best man. This feels like a photo of the bridal couple, the bestman, bridesmaid and an unknown older guy holding the brides hand...  :) There is one uncle who might be the right age  but he didn't serve in WW2 that I can find so it seems unlikely he would be there in uniform.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat tonip.

I can’t add anything useful, but I think this photo is wonderful! Even if the army chap was a relative, it would still be odd for him to be holding his female relative’s hand in her wedding photo .... or even if this was a split second touch unintentionally captured by the photographer - still odd ... and strange that they had the photo printed rather than choose one where he wasn’t touching the bride’s hand.

I am letting my imagination run away with me here.  ;)

Did the army chap appear in any other photos, wedding or otherwise?