Author Topic: Searching for information on my grandfather  (Read 3670 times)

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for information on my grandfather
« on: Monday 04 January 21 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.
Hopefully I have posted this in the right place. I am only 6 months into my ancestry exploration and after looking back at what I have done and what I know now I sure wish I could start afresh. 

With that my research and DNA test has not been particularly useful in finding out about my Paternal Grandfather Frank George Scott.

I only have an aged aunt and uncle, his daughter and son, to ask any questions. They know next to nothing about their father in terms of his parents, his date of birth etc. He never gave away info other than he was from London. I do have some records for him through Ancestry such as his WW2 POW records and his England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 record. This record said that his Death Age was 63 and Birth Date was Jun 1905.

With that clue on the birthdate I searched on Ancestry I found the England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915 record and found a Registration Year of 1906, Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec, Registration district Islington and Inferred County London.
I did see that the date was a year difference between the birth and death registration, but it was the only matching name. With that I fired off to the UK and received a birth certificate back. I have to admit to even more confusion and am keen on any advice as to what to do next.

The certificate gave the names of his parents as Francis Charles Henry Scott and Alice Scott formerly Hann.  Hann was transcribed incorrectly in my opinion as all other research has found Hamm being the correct name. Then I got very curious. The 1911 census shows Francis Charles Henry Scott and Alice Scott had two children but both had died. I am unable to find another birth against their names so have no idea who the other child was. Also was my Grandfather Frank George Scott the correct birth certificate I requested. And my DNA matching has me worried. All other Grand parents have matches on Ancestry but not this line. With my Grandfather not telling his family a thing about his past I speculated he may have been adopted out as I read that prior to 1926 there are no UK records. But the census says two dead children.

I am giving thought to getting my grandfather’s military records that requires me to purchase a physical copy his death certificate. I am OK with that, but I have read on this forum that there is a very long wait for these at present. I am wondering if there is another way of doing this and not having to wait for maybe a year or two.

I have read the forums excellent pinned guides but feel a bit overwhelmed as to what direction to take from here. I am only on Ancestry at present though have searched other resources that give me the same information mostly. Any ideas will be gratefully received. Thanks. John. 

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for information on my grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1906 birth looks to have a corresponding death:

Name:   
Frank George Scott
Event Type:   
Death
Registration Quarter:   
Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year:   
Registration District:   
Islington

You mentioned a service record, is that under Frank George Scott or George Frank Scott?

Out of area, but have you checked the Francis George Albert Scott 1906 Portsmouth birth, even if only to rule it out?

What was his wife's name? If they are in the 1939 register, a date of birth on that might help.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate as that should give details of his father, ie name & occupation.  Sometimes the marriage witnesses names are helpful.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Jun 1969   
SCOTT    Frank George    -Je1905    Reading    6a   385

This may be his birth?

SCOTT, FRANK  GEORGE     HANN 
GRO Reference: 1906  D Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 175

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
The 1906 birth looks to have a corresponding death:

Name:   
Frank George Scott
Event Type:   
Death
Registration Quarter:   
Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year:   
Registration District:   
Islington

You mentioned a service record, is that under Frank George Scott or George Frank Scott?

Out of area, but have you checked the Francis George Albert Scott 1906 Portsmouth birth, even if only to rule it out?

What was his wife's name? If they are in the 1939 register, a date of birth on that might help.

Thanks. I have just found that. I was looking under my grandfathers entry in Ancestry but had not considered an independent search. Unfortunately I suspect that that rules out my previous research and thoughts.

Frank George Scott it is. I found his POW records that match what little I know of him. It has a service number and regiment.     

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate as that should give details of his father, ie name & occupation.  Sometimes the marriage witnesses names are helpful.

No I don't. I had not thought of that. I am a bit concerned about ordering one though as I understand it is taking a while to get the order through. Also I am in Australia, and it would have to come via mail. They do not seem to be doing PDF unfortunately.

I am happy to do this but am looking for quicker options I suppose.

Offline John Scott 1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Jun 1969   
SCOTT    Frank George    -Je1905    Reading    6a   385

This may be his birth?

SCOTT, FRANK  GEORGE     HANN 
GRO Reference: 1906  D Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 175

Colin

That is the info I have but am not sure that I have the correct Frank George Scott after a reply above.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Dec 1900 Islington 1b 394
SCOTT Francis Charles H   
HAMM Alice

SCOTT, GUY mmn HAMM 
GRO Reference: 1903  D Quarter in ISLINGTON  Volume 01B  Page 207

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
You missed my other Q:

.  What was his wife's name? If they are in the 1939 register, a date of birth on that might help 
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .