Author Topic: Unknown boy probably taken in Lanarkshire  (Read 1019 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown boy probably taken in Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
My apologies to everyone who replied to my post, especially those of you who went to the trouble of restoring the photo.  I haven't posted on Rootschat for a while.  When I did so before I received emails to tell me that I had received a reply to my post.  It was just by chance that I discovered your replies.  Many many thanks.
I will attach photos of my grandfather but I doubt if he was ever a telegram boy.  We come from a mining family.
My other thought was that it was that it might be this boy, but again I am probably wrong.
Birth: WOTHERSPOON JAMES   M   1895   652/1 119    Old Monkland (Western District)
Death: 1910   May   6   Kenmuirhill No 2   Lanark   Glasgow Coal Co Ltd   
James Wotherspoon   15   Office Boy   was run over when Caledonian Railway Co.'s engine was shunting a waggon.   
James Wotherspoon, Colliery Clerk, Kenmuirhill Colliery, Mount Vernon
Usual residence 26B Crosshill, Baillieston 15 years
Father: James Wotherspoon, blacksmith      Mother: Elizabeth Parker
RCE Cause of death: The deceased while at the railway l… at No.2 Kenmuirhill Colliery attempted to snibble the wheel of a moving waggon and was completely caught by the snibble, thrown on the rail, run over and instantly killed, as per Verdict of Jury, Airdrie 6 July 1910   
Such a very sad story.  The attached card has been passed down through the family.  The Wotherspoons were good neighbours of my grandparents in Baillieston..
I will try to find out if any cousins worked for the GPO.  Following a lead in the past I searched for a "cousin" who "rose to be head of the Post Office in Edinburgh" but have never found him.
The photo I have also attached which includes my grandfather dates from around 1922.
My post with attachments received an error message so I have removed them.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
This is the photo of my grandfather which I tried to attach to my last post.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 01:40 GMT (UK) »
A makeover for Hugh and Barbara. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Lovely little chap!

I think the exaggerated lips on both are very alike as well as the hairline at the ear.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"