Author Topic: Thomas & Harriet Simmons (nee Pilbeam)  (Read 16057 times)

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Harriet Simmons (nee Pilbeam)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Hope all is well with you!!  Just to let you know that a relative also following the Simmons family back in time has Thomas c1700, married Elizabeth Boys on the 30th May 1721 by licence at Rye.  These were the parents of Thomas 1724, married to Grace Parks.  Prior to this date he believes that the surname was spelt Symonds.

Hope this is useful

Regards Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
Sheila

Thanks for the information, I shall look that one up on the Sussex Marriage Index. 

I imagine that before long we would find other spellings of Simmons, so wouldn't be surprised.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Sheila

Just to confirm your last message, I went to East Sussex Records Office recently and checked the Brightling PRs and there is no Thomas Simmons born there round 1730 so we can cross him off our list.  I also found the marriage of Thomas to Elizabeth Boys on the Sussex Marriage Index, so that where he came from then!

Thanks again

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Starbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 April 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone -
sorry if I'm posting incorrectly but this is all new to me. I am related to the Simmons/Pilbeam through Harriet (1851) who was my great grandmother married to William Coleman, have just started researching this line so any help would be fantastic.
Thanks
Linda

Offline Starbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 02:58 BST (UK) »
The Lamb at Wartling is definitely not nor ever has been The Horseshoe. The Horseshoe Inn is  just up the road at Windmill Hill Herstmonceux. I know both these places well. I live about 20miles from either of them.
hope it helps
Linda

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda,
I haven't been keeping up todate with my family tree, I got a bit stuck at 1600 ish and got a bit disheartened.  I will check my spreadsheet later today and see if I have your gt grandmother, thinking back she must be the daughter of Harriet & Thomas Simmons.
Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
The Lamb at Wartling is definitely not nor ever has been The Horseshoe. The Horseshoe Inn is  just up the road at Windmill Hill Herstmonceux. I know both these places well. I live about 20miles from either of them.
hope it helps
Linda
Hi Linda

I don't know why I ever said that, because I know the Horseshoe Inn too quite well, I think at the time I got confused because Wartling parish is in two halves and I didn't realise the Horseshoe was in.  I live about 10 miles away.  I haven't done much research on the Simmons family lately, got stuck with an early one in the Rye area.

Kerry

Offline speedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda, Sorry for the delay, can you confirm if this is the Harriet you looking for, she was the 4th child of Harriet Pilbeam and Thomas Simmons (married 1842)

Harriet Simmons   Ticehurst,Sussex Abt 13th Oct. 1850

1851 Census   Borzell Farm House aged 8months
1861 Census   Lattendens Ashburnham

Sheila
Simmons Sussex & Kent
Payne Kent

Offline Starbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila!
Thanks for your reply, yes she is "my" Harriett sh is my great grandmother.