Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 6th February  (Read 2231 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Saturday 6th February
« on: Saturday 06 February 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Well thought I’d start today’s as I’ve not posted for the last few days... I’ve read everyone’s posts but to late to respond to all that’s been said...
felt quite down  so not been worth writing...

Today was pretty much the same as the last few days...
mixed weather....
shopping delivered on Thursday.... drove to the post office to post grandsons card for next week and my DiL’s to Oz for mid March birthday in the hope it’ll get to her in time....
Played some games of scrabble and won, lost, won.... so think we’re back to me being four games up...
Watched England v Scotland rugby match... couldn’t believe how badly they played loosing the Calcutta cup after 38 years... spent a lot of time shouting at the tv and the ref who was so biased it wasn’t true...,
Consoled ourselves by watching The Plank... anyone remember that with Eric Sykes, Tommy Cooper, Jimmy Edwards and a few others.... it made us laugh!
Other than that not much else going on....
Washing machine decided to have a moment when it was spinning and made most dreadful noise... as has our boiler aged five years! Think it’s the pump ... if it is and needs a new one that will be the third in the five years.... chap coming on Monday....
Previous boiler lasted 30+ years.... just hope it doesn’t konk out with cold weather looming...
Not much else to add really... think I’m going to have to get back to sewing my 🌈 scrubs on Monday as they’re crying out for them!

Hope others days have been better...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Saturday 6th February
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 21 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, have missed your posts, sorry that you've been feeling down. I'm imaging you jumping up and yelling at the TV! I'm afraid I know nothing at all about rugby other than the players get into a scrum. There must be something in the air with these pesky washing machines, hope the central heating manages to keep going.

My day:

A bit of a strange day, I seem to have been busy all day but not sure with what. It was raining when I woke up and it didn't stop all day. Would have liked to get out for a walk but there's no pleasure in it when the weather is so bad, pretty cold too. The Beast from the East 2 seems to be on its way, bringing Arctic air.

I remember a joke from the last one  - Southerners, stay inside, do not take any unnecessary journeys. Northerners, you'll need your big coat.  ;D ;D

No rush to do anything this morning, read for a while, exchanged messages with a friend. Did some ironing at some point during the day, gave the kitchen worktops a good clean, also the hob, seems to get dirty so easily. Other than that I can't really recall what I did.
Had a go at cooking Caroline's recipe of chicken breast with cream cheese and bacon. Did jacket potato, roast peppers and tomatoes, broccoli.
Watched an episode of Doc Martin, also Joanna Lumley's programme about her travels in Britain, it was quite good. She'd been up in Whitby, don't know if she was there for goth weekend or whether it was just footage. Great atmosphere there on Goth weekend.  :D
Don't know why I feel so tired tonight when I've done so little.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 21 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all

Had a good start to the morning, the sun was shining, mostly blue sky and warm for the time of year, but I knew it wouldn't last.
Letting the golden devil out for his usual sniff around the perimeter of the tiny garden, it was eerily still and quiet, and quite dense line of low lying fog hugging the far side of the valley, looking like I needed to take a photo, then I realised it was smoke from a huge bonfire. OK, so I'd only just woken up 
The smoke was drifting very slowly from right to left and disappearing behind a hill, which leads to the Exe estuary, I still thought it worth a photo. Within 15 minutes, the wind had done a 180 and the smoke, still very low, was going left to right, down the valley towards Pathfinder Village. It was an extremely smokey fire.
So, time to wake the OH up with her usual cocktail of tea, toast, nebuliser and meds, remove her oxygen and sit on the bedroom chair, telling her about the smokey valley. It got me talking about an experience years ago in  Northern France when I was crewing for a hot air balloon and it was my turn at the retrieve. Sat on a huge ex WW2 airfield, watching 500+ balloons all heading off into the distance very slowly, followed by the retrieve crews, except for about half a dozen which included me. I sat and watched for about 45 minutes by which time mine was 3 or 4 miles away and wasn't going any further. That's because the slow, weaker morning breeze had stopped and the stronger, more prominent daily wind had taken over and was blowing everybody back, I had to laugh when eventually, the balloon I was retrieving flew right over head and landed a short distance away, so I drove over and was greeted by the pilot (who just happened to be my older brother) with "you smart a**e" or words to that effect. Next morning the same thing happened and nearly all the crews remained at the airfield.
So, there I was this morning, boring the OH to death with one of my many ballooning adventures, sadly, although I did that for some 15 years, it was before we met.
By then it was time to get her into the bathroom etc.
The dressings on the wound were a real mess this morning, so I cleaned and redressed the wound but decided to try something other than how I'd been shown, and it's not leaked all day and should go through the night too.
On Saturday, we have a mobile shop come to the village, a good chance to catch up on the local gossip, but even that was thin on the ground today, so it was a quiet day.
I did get to watch one of my favourite shows tonight, The Voice, but it seems to me its going the same way as everything else and "staged", some of the singers are so talented though.
By half way through, dinner was ready, a simple one tonight of whole tail scampi in breadcrumbs with mash, easy for the OH to eat, the potato was quite coarsely mashed which leaves some small chunks and I use a French, butter with salt grains that gives it an occasional crunch and when dished up, a couple of thin slices of brie on top, soooo tasty!
Dinner things washed up, dogs fed and a nice cappuccino, that's my day done, a little TV and a scan through one of my many photo albums ending the day.

Photo is of the smoke from the bonfire. I think someone must have complained because it was eventually put out.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 21 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Nice to see you girls back on the diary thread.  ;D

I hope you are feeling a bit brighter Caroline. I don’t watch any sport but I can understand getting involved in a game and shouting at the TV. Yes, I remember seeing The Plank many years ago. I loved it at the time. Great to have a bit of nonsense and light relief. Household maintenance repairs and getting “someone” in to repair things I find quite stressful - I hate having strangers in the house fiddling with my things.  ;D

Roobarb, you said you cooked Caroline’s chicken recipe bit didn’t tell us if it was a success.  ;) It’s one I fancy trying too.

As usual, a fairly uneventful Saturday for me - very hot, so sheltering indoors with the airconditioning turned on, binge watched The Drowning. Interesting story but the ending spoiled it somewhat. Still, it was worth watching. Walked the dog, but unpleasantly hot.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 21 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone, another day over and no-one murdered, so pretty good!!
Woke horribly early, but was rewarded by an amazingly clear sky. The living room was brightly illuminated by a crescent moon and its reflection across the water. Lots of stars/planets visible too.
Slipped out to buy bread as soon as it started getting light, and really enjoyed the quietness. I don't see anyone around at that time, except I did pass a car on a side street with the engine running and the door open.....That would have disappeared very quickly in Newport!!
Walked back through the park and via the prom. The grass was covered in frost, and I needed to watch my step.  Glad I had my big coat on Roobarb!  ;)
I heard oyster catchers calling as I was walking, but could'nt see where they were.
4 cruise ships at anchor in the early sunlight.
One oyster catcher very busy in the harbour, along with swans and seagulls.... don't know where the turnstones are hiding.
H watched both rugby games while I watched some Ted talks on my laptop.
Tried to watch a Montalbano later, but that always lulls me to sleep, so around ten, I gave up on my non productive day and went to bed.
Caroline, I am sure that getting back to your sewing will give you greater purpose through your days.
The photo is lovely Griff. Not surprised you thought it was mist! Ballooning tale amused me. Great memories for you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

guest141721

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everybody. Will post my Saturday entry shortly.

Griff, I was intrigued by your reference to Pathfinder Village so I Googled it. Sounds like a very nice little community. From the location I guess that places you somewhere in the Six Mile Hill area between Tedburn St. Mary and Whitestone?

I'm just dead nosey.

Glyn

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse, good morning and thank you.
I've quite a few ballooning tales stored somewhere in the old memory. Including one about taking a boy scout for a flight from the Isle of Wight, across the Solent and landing in Southsea.
His task was to cook something to eat in an unusual place, he grilled a burger on the balloon burner while over the water. I think he got his badge. :)

Glyn, good morning.
Yes indeed, spot on.
Pathfinder village is on what used to be the A30, the main artery into the west country before the duel carriageway, I remember it well from my childhood holidays going through it in the sidecar and knowing our destination was getting close, the next landmark was Okehampton and the first building on the left was a big guesthouse called "Yer Tiz!". I knew we were in the west country when I saw that.
Griff

guest141721

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone, another day over and no-one murdered, so pretty good!!

Mowse, at one time OH and I were contemplating relocating from Sweden to somewhere in the English countryside. However after watching Midsomer Murders, Agatha Raisin, Father Brown, Shakespeare and Hathaway, Grantchester and Miss Marple we decided to abandon the idea as the risk of meeting a grisly end was far too high. On the other hand, considering the high mortality rate there must be some fantastic properties going cheap.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
The rugby score of 6-11 flatters the English side , the Scots lost 8 points through missed kicks. Superb outcome though!  ;D

Skoosh.