Author Topic: william verling / verlin  (Read 1301 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william verling / verlin
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 02:01 GMT (UK) »
hi i m trying to find the birth of my great x 4 grandfather william verling, he married in cobh in 1833 to abbey keefe and they had children there one being my great x 3 nan mary verling born 1836 cobh, she married stephen pilcher, on the original marriage cert which i ve got she says her father is william verling and he s a waterman by trade,i also have her birth record that has her parents names, same, cobh, i can find plenty of births for verlings from castlelyons round the later 1700 s to early 1800 s, such as richard, bartholomew, garret, john, patrick and a good few more, but i can find no william :( , i ve been on rootsireland but can find no birth or death for him .... i know the verlings i ve mentioned above were quite well to do, so i m not saying my william is related to them, i ve fell for that before on another line of my tree lol, but i was told on the website coastguards of yesteryear that there were only a few verling families in cobh, castlelyon area and all naval, ,thomas, garrett,patrick, john, edward, matthew and richard all born between 1780 to 1820, which would be from when he was born, any help or pointers most welcome, i should point out that stephen pilcher and his father also stephen were both coastguards after being in the navy in cork and waterford, thanks cathie

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: william verling / verlin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 21 20:24 BST (UK) »
There is a death Registration for a William Verling 20 Feb 1885 Age 86yrs a gardener Informant wife Mary Verling. Address Carrignafoy Queenstown (Cobh) Reg District Cork

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 21 00:24 BST (UK) »
hi thanks for reply but theres a marrage for a william verling and mary dinan in 1842 cobh, while my william verling was married to abigail keefe and she last gave birth in 1847, i think the death for william is the one who married mary in 1842 :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of deaths started in 1864 so perhaps your William Verling died before that date. Hoever, another possibility is that wife Abigail died and William remarried.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 21 00:38 BST (UK) »
hi the only other marriage for a william verling and mary was 1842 and my williams wife abgail last gave birth in 1847 and they married in cobh 1833 :), they could have died before 1864 though

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 October 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
hi the only other marriage for a william verling and mary was 1842 and my williams wife abgail last gave birth in 1847 and they married in cobh 1833 :), they could have died before 1864 though

You haven't mentioned what religion the family were but if they were Catholic then it's entirely possible that William could have remarried between 1847 (wife Abigail alive) and 1863 (start of civil registration of Catholic marriages/deaths).

There is a death Registration for a William Verling 20 Feb 1885 Age 86yrs a gardener Informant wife Mary Verling. Address Carrignafoy Queenstown (Cobh) Reg District Cork
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06292/4803335.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Think that William Verling the gardener is a different man than your William the waterman.
Hannah Verling married 1874- father William Verling (gardener)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11248/8125315.pdf

You probably have civil records of Patrick Verling's 2 marriages but have you checked church records to see if his mother is listed?

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 October 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
hi my verling fam was catholic, who do you mean when you say patricks 2 marriages ?, he did have a son called patrick, but i only have him marrying a catherine enwright ??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 October 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Patrick & Catherine had a daughter but Catherine died 1870. Patrick remarried 1874 & had further children (son from 2nd marriage was informant for Patrick's death). See Irish Genealogy & census records. Do you have any church record for Patrick's first marriage? It would be worth checking for that as well as the 2nd one.