Author Topic: Bolton workhouses, can you get records?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
Bolton workhouses, can you get records?
« on: Saturday 24 July 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
I've never really looked in to workhouses apart from when they've been in during a census, my gr gr granddad adopted a boy from a workhouse between 1901 and 1911, he was with his parents in the 1901 census in Chorlton and then my ancestors in Bolton in the 1911 census ( his mum died in 1901 and dad 1905 so im not sure when he ended up in a workhouse). For my gr gr granddad to find him and adopt him i presume he was in a Bolton workhouse ( they lived in Westhoughton) but what route is the best route to take to find workhouse records around that time?

Thankyou :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bolton workhouses, can you get records?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
What makes you think he was in the workhouse? He may have been in an orphanage, or he may simply have been taken in by your family if his family were known to them.

You may not find any formal records at all. Formal adoption didn’t take place until 1927, after the adoption act of 1926.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are some Bolton workhouse records available free on FamilySearch.
Need to be registered and logged in.
Workhouse records for Bolton Poor Law Union, 1880-1905
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1370292

Various workhouse records, 1839-1941
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/375199

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at the distance between Chorlton and Westhoughton - about 17/18 miles - my thought would be a family connection of some description.  Did both parents die in the Chorlton area?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:38 BST (UK) »
What makes you think he was in the workhouse? He may have been in an orphanage, or he may simply have been taken in by your family if his family were known to them.

You may not find any formal records at all. Formal adoption didn’t take place until 1927, after the adoption act of 1926.

From a relative who got stories off her mother, she was told that my gr gr granddad was a Guardian, it would have been a workhouse in the Bolton area and the boy was there, i don't think he officially adopted him no and he kept his own surname, i was just wondering the best way to maybe find records of him and when i went there if its possible?
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
"The Workhouse - The story of an institution", Peter Higginbottom's website, is the go-to site for information about workhouses.
www.workhouses.org.uk/Bolton/
Plans dated 1893, 1915, 1929, the 2 later plans show Hollins Cottage Homes which was the children's section. The cottage homes site contained a hospital and gym. Report 1908 mentions "two receiving homes for children". Hollins Cottage Homes opened 1878/9. Bolton Union was one of two pioneers in introducing cottage homes for children. A report of a field and sports day for the children, Aug. 1904 was reported in "Bolton Evening News". There was also separate accommodation for working boys. Townley House working Boys' Home. Links to sources at bottom of page including Bolton Archive & Local Studies Service and Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society.  Bolton Archive holdings include admissions and discharges registers 1839-1930 and religious creeds registers. Manchester & Lancashire FHS members have been transcribing records.

List of holdings in Bolton Archives can be found on National Archives online catalogue.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society has a Bolton branch. As you have Bolton ancestors you may consider joining.
https://www.mlfhs.uk/bolton/research/documents
Cowban

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:44 BST (UK) »
Looking at the distance between Chorlton and Westhoughton - about 17/18 miles - my thought would be a family connection of some description.  Did both parents die in the Chorlton area?

They did yes, and they came from Nottingham and Staffordshire areas. I did think it was a bit of a stretch for him to go to Bolton for no reason i just cant find the reason, im hoping to find his siblings in the same workhouse.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:45 BST (UK) »
"The Workhouse - The story of an institution", Peter Higginbottom's website, is the go-to site for information about workhouses.
www.workhouses.org.uk/Bolton/
Plans dated 1893, 1915, 1929, the 2 later plans show Hollins Cottage Homes which was the children's section. The cottage homes site contained a hospital and gym. Report 1908 mentions "two receiving homes for children". Hollins Cottage Homes opened 1878/9. Bolton Union was one of two pioneers in introducing cottage homes for children. A report of a field and sports day for the children, Aug. 1904 was reported in "Bolton Evening News". There was also separate accommodation for working boys. Townley House working Boys' Home. Links to sources at bottom of page including Bolton Archive & Local Studies Service and Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society.  Bolton Archive holdings include admissions and discharges registers 1839-1930 and religious creeds registers. Manchester & Lancashire FHS members have been transcribing records.

List of holdings in Bolton Archives can be found on National Archives online catalogue.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society has a Bolton branch. As you have Bolton ancestors you may consider joining.
https://www.mlfhs.uk/bolton/research/documents

Thankyou i shall have a look at what you suggested :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are some Bolton workhouse records available free on FamilySearch.
Need to be registered and logged in.
Workhouse records for Bolton Poor Law Union, 1880-1905
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1370292

Various workhouse records, 1839-1941
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/375199

Thankyou :)
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young