Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 5th December  (Read 4147 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 5th December
« on: Monday 29 November 21 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Here  begins  another  week now in the  run up to Christmas,  doesn't  feel like  it  at  all

Looking  at  todays  paper a  lot of  places  have  been affected  by  snow,  hope everyone  is safe

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 5th December
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Well done LM for starting us off again….
It’s unbelievable that we’re shortly into December… the year has gone like a flash not sure what I’ve got to show for it this year!

Hope your bazaar was successful and you raised good money LM.

This week has started really cold… heavy frost which has hung around most of the day… I’ve put numerous layers on and feel a bit like Mitchelin man! Balmy 11C tomorrow supposedly… T shirt sorts and flip flops ( thongs for those down under readers 😂)….

This coming Saturday is our Christmas Fayre and now things are looking much more difficult….
Face coverings for everyone and I’m considering asking all stall holders and helpers to do a lateral flow test… am I being over the top… hard to tell..I just hope we get people in as we have all gone to a great deal of effort and raising money is so vital these days for all causes… so keep your fingers crossed for us folks.

My heart goes out to all those without electricity because of the storms… apart from the 60+ people who are snowed in at a pub somewhere up north!
Captive audience, one way for the pub to make money 😀. Although they did say an ambulance had got through to deal with a medical issue… so I’m wondering how snowed in they are…. Maybe just don’t want to go home!

Look forward to reading everyone’s entries..
Take care, stay safe and warm..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 21 19:00 GMT (UK) »
This  year  the  bazaar  was  slightly  different , less stalls, spaced  well apart and  no food cooked,  only bacon  rolls , usually they  have  shepherds/cottage  pie  which is  very  popular, I  don't  work  in the  kitchen, don't   have the "ology",  only safeguarding certificates.
I had  my "£1.00 ,  everyone  gets  a  prize" stall,  I made £135 and  was  very  pleased, we took almost  £700 , it  was made  up to  a  round total  by a donation, so although things  were  different we  didn't do to  badly, no  one  passes the  church,  I  had  posters  made and  one family   allowed  us to  put the 6ft X 2ft  poster on their  fence  at the  cross roads,  I am  sure that  drew  a
lot of  people in.
We had  25 victorian  type  dolls donated, we  were  hard  pushed  to sell any  as it would  appear  youngsters  don't  want  to  collect  them, if  would  break  your heart if  I  told you what we  charged just to get rid of them due to lack of space,  we had  about 12  left
Anyway  I  won't  go on but  just  to say  it was a  happy rewarding time  but  hard  work

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the stallholders and helpers to do a test, it's for everyone's benefit and I'm sure they'd be horrified if they did have Covid and unknowingly pass it on to the punters.

The people who were snowed in at the Tan Hill Inn have now been freed! Forty of them had actually booked to stay there but they ended up with another twenty guests! It was actually the mountain rescue that got through to the guest who needed medical attention, so not your average ambulance! People being snowed in there is a common occurrence but I think you're right that they weren't exactly unhappy about it.  ;D

There's a pub on the North Yorkshire moors that used to to have something similar happening regularly, not sure whether it still does or whether road improvements have put paid to the fun!

Very cold here but bright, the weekend's storm has seen off the begonias in my front garden and the rudbeckia in the back have also taken a beating. I'm hoping it stays dry enough tomorrow for me to pull out the begonias and put some bulbs in. Late I know but I've checked up and they can still be planted, will probably just flower later.

Had lunch with a friend today, quite busy in the pub, everyone seemed relaxed.

Well done with the bazaar LM.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 03:49 GMT (UK) »
The story of the snowed in pub goers has made international news - heard a few mentions of it on the radio today. I read about it first on rootschat of course - good to be informed about all the important UK news via rootschat.

Rain rain and more rain here. Had a fine day or two, now rain again. Mostly light in my neck of the woods so little backup and flooding - more forecast over the next couple of days. I enjoy light rain and grey skies - probably why I love the UK so much. Also a bit cooler with temperatures only into the mid 20s. Downside = wet dog/s.

Lots of news about Omicron. (What ridiculous name. Surely there are some better letters of the Greek alphabet to choose from.  ::) ). Not surprisingly, there are a few cases here, one has been all over the place since arriving in Australia on Saturday. There are some restrictions/changes in place until more is known - postponed returning travellers, etc. Good idea.

Daughter’s dog to the vet today. Her immunotherapy hasn’t proved beneficial as yet, but still early days - hoping for some miracles. She’s been put into conventional drugs and drops to make her more comfortable in the meantime.

Caroline and Louisa - well done on your charity work. I hope all the effort is worthwhile and you are happy with the profits. Such a shame that your poor plants have suffered in the storms Roobarb.

Enjoy that lovely cold weather everyone.  :)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Well Ruskie, I always say "we can only do our best, miracles cost more" but under the circumstances like most charities they have all suffered over the last 20 months , as some of us have but I am not complaining

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Well done Caroline and Louisa.
I must admit I went to bed feeling guilty last night. I'm a cold person, always have been and attributed it to as a child being in a house pre central heating and Lino floors.i just seemed to always be cold and had to wrap up.  I love my central heating and would say to be warm is one of the most important things for me ( I hate cold churches too.) Being underactive thyroid now doesn't help either.
There was a news item of an old peoples home that is STILL without electricity today since Friday due to the storm so has no heating or lighting. There were these 90 year olds wrapped up in lots of clothes and space blankets and staff taking food home to cook so they had hot food and a local fairground lent them a generator yesterday to help out. There was me all tucked up in a warm house and a warm bed ........
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes under an  active thyroid does make you cold, plus many medications give cold extremities.
My Thyroxine tablets were reduced after I had a heart attack ,to slow things down a bit.
But I get by O.K.
Well all thawed out here ,no glassy pavements, so will make the most of it and my
trip to Bury will be safer today
than it would have been yesterday when I chickened out!
Still quite dark at almost eleven O’ clock.
Good to hear of Bazaars etc
doing well.
Many charities are refusing donations of goods,no storage.
What a pity if stuff gets dumped.
It amazes me what good reclaimable things get chucked out on the programmes like the one wher a young woman gets stuff before it gets in a skip and tarts it up for ridiculous amounts .
Why not donate to charity - ,many do collect free of charge.
Well post arrived,and Bury to visit so cheerio.
Look after yourselves,
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Today  is  a  better  day, went  shopping shopping  to a  centre,  got  very  busy at  about 11.30
I  bought 2  items  in  a  shop plus a photo  frame  my  grandaughter  wanted, amazingly  it  was  reduced  to  £3,  doesn't  matter  if it isn't  quite right,  when  I  got almost  out of the  shop  thinking  of  how  much  I  paid  I  realised the cashier hadn't charged  me  for the  frame  but  had wrapped  it separately, so  I  jumped  tbe queue , unchallenged,  to speak to the cashier,  I did  say to  my husband  if  I  had  been stopped it  would  not  have  been  my fault, luckily  I checked the  bill, I  can  sleep tonight.

As it  was getting  busy we  decided  to return  home, found  it  quite tiring to  be  honest, luckily  we  give  money to  most  in the  family  for Christmas, I  still have  bits to  buy  but I think it is  a  case  of getting   out really early to  beat  any crowds

Take  care  everyone

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London