Author Topic: Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses  (Read 432 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses
« on: Wednesday 22 December 21 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to establish how many dwellings were contained in Victoria Terrace, Ringwood in 1881 and 1891- the terrace comprised of row of 3 cottages plus a larger dwelling and were later renumbered as 86/88-80 Southampton Road, Ringwood. I am attempting to ascertain which number Victoria Terrace was later renumbered as 82-I have a list of names of possible residents from 1845-1911 but there is no continuity to help! I am wondering if anyone can look at the census images for me for 1881 and 1891 to maybe give a clue or indication as to how the dwellings in this terrace were divided and possibly numbered.
I live over 200 miles from the address and am researching for my nephew who lives there!
Any suggestions gratefully accepted as i have amassed a considerable amount of research for the terrace but now need to cut it back to details relative to the correct dwelling.
Many thanks indeed
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Terrace Ringwood- a conundrum 1881/1891 Censuses
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes- this is part of the confusion. There are 3 terraced cottages adjoined to a 3 bay larger house- all in the same terrace. I believe that the larger 3 bay dwelling at the end of the terrace was also known as Carvers House- and later possibly numbered 86/88 Southampton Road. The whole terrace was previously called Victoria terrace in Victorian times, and I have references to folks living at Victoria Terrace with numbers ranging from 1-7!   My challenge is to work out which addresses shown as Victoria terrace in the late Victorian censuses relate to the new re-numbering of the cottages which now show as 80,82,84,86,88 Southampton Road Ringwood. I do know that on Victorian censuses, the individual dwellings are marked by // between each dwelling and I am wondering if anyone can see images of the census entries to help me work out how the dwellings listed as being Victoria terrace and Carvers House  relate to the existing cottages. It is also possible from a faint marking on the wall that Carvers House may well have formed the start of Victoria Terrace in the late 1800s.
I can also supply some surnames of possible inhabitants if that helps- just need to crack this nut so that I can make sense of it all.
Thank you so much
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
History, gazetteer, and directory of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
By William White · 1878

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/History_gazetteer_and_directory_of_Hamps/W-IHAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

lists some of the occupants of Victoria Terrace
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you- yes I have now looked at this resource which confirms names that i already recognise and reveal:
Page 458- Charles Hiscock- 1 Victoria Terrace- measuremaker and wheelwright
              His uncle James Hiscock at 6 victoria Terrace

Page 459 - Stephen Street- master of the workhouse in Ringwood  whose home address is                         
5 Victoria terrace- he was married to the daughter of James Hiscock who is living next door at number 6!

So the terrace does seem to be a nest of the Hiscock family in various forms but i just need to try and establish how the numbering worked for Victoria Terrace in relation to Carvers House and the cottages now renumbered as 76-88 Southampton Road.

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Further to the last post- Stephen street (at 5 Victoria terrace with his wife Amy) - my research shows that amy comes from the Carver family on her maternal side and is therefore presumably somehow reflected in Carver House which is the larger 3 bay dwelling at the end of the 3 terraced smaller cottages. My gut instinct would be that Victoria Terrace maybe started at Carver House but there is also the train of research that indicates that carver house was at one time split into 2 dwellings itself!

Based on findings that refer to addresses from 1-7 Victoria Terrace in Victorian times, I am reaching a conclusion that the 7 dwellings comprised of Carvers House (2) the 3 smaller terraced cottages (3) and the house built a little later -split from the terrace by a small passageway and now shown as 76& 78 Southampton Road which would create a further 2 dwellings- giving me 7 dwellings in all.

If this theory is right then the crux of the question is this - from which end of this row of dwellings numbered as 1-7 Victoria Terrace? Was it numbered from carvers House or from the other end which is now addressed as 76 &78 Southampton Road?

Guidance please!

Caroline x

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that Martha Warner lived at number 4

The enumerator's schedule for the census should tell which direction he walked.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you- that is a new name to my research! Was that in the 1878 Gazetteer as well?

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
yes.

Is it significant that nos 2 & 3 are not mentioned???
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE