Author Topic: Missing family on ionic ship 1897  (Read 13685 times)

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family on ionic ship 1897
« Reply #198 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:12 GMT (UK) »
You have all done incredible research in the short space of time that I went out! I’m on a different time zone to you all I think. I am going through it all now - so many lies and so many people involved in their lives that probably had no idea what the truth was ! What was John running from all those years ago, can’t just be to hide from his wife!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:22 GMT (UK) »
You have all done incredible research in the short space of time that I went out! I’m on a different time zone to you all I think (I’m in NZ). I am going through it all now - so many lies and so many people involved in their lives that probably had no idea what the truth was ! What was John running from all those years ago, can’t just be to hide from his wife!

Do we think John was absolutely without involvement in the English court cases, fraud, mentioned by Maddy Reply #22 Page 3 ??

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arnside98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:25 GMT (UK) »
His death cert is on Ancestry. As Gordon Forrest
Here if you have access

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5164/images/42410_2421406274_0894-03981?
treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.174204386.1389959400.1642616127-231156398.1625019848&pId=5877975

Thanks. Yes I have ancestry. I think this is him. I saw on documents for his father, John Edmund, where he’s been recorded as Scottish. His mother Margaret Daquid Forrest was Scottish. Easy to pull off the accent.

3 June 1948
Says his father is John Forrest born in Scotland and his mother unknown, but born Scotland.
Says he was born in Australia.

Added. And date of birth is the same 11 Dec 1885.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it could well be he was simply running from his wife.  He took the children, a very brave thing to do in those times.  He gave them his protection from her during their childhood.  He did not put them into orphanages.  There is integrity in those decisions,  the family name is retained.

The research done once that FORREST sighting was found is absolutely grand,  Well Done.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I really think he was simply a witness in the cases reported that I found earlier. I would think there would have been more reporting, or subsequent reports on the matter if he had been involved.  :-\

I don't have a subscription to newpapers.com, however I note that are some hits for "Owen Gordon FORREST" in Pennsylvania at least, probably others too.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with finding them in Australia, however John Edmund SMITH, bank cashier of the London and County Bank, Hammersmith branch is mentioned as a witness in a cheque fraud case in 1886.
Wednesday,  Dec. 8, 1886, Publication: The Times

Then in 1894 there are a number of items about another fraud case where he is mentioned as manager of the Bayswater branch of the London and County Bank. eg
Saturday,  July 28, 1894, Publication: Sheffield Evening Telegraph

Happy to send you copies if you're interested.

Does seem strange a bank manager travelling under an alias and disappearing. Very intriguing.

Yes,  Agree with Sue.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Sunday 23 January 22 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed these to Arnside, but in case others are wondering, here are the articles mentioning John Edmund SMITH. The 1894 is just part of a much longer article, but shows that he wasn't really involved in the fraud, merely a witness in the trial.

The first is the 1886, and below that the 1894.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Sunday 23 January 22 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Some relevant NZ newspaper items re Owen Gordon Forrest
Letter to Editor 1908 – a long but interesting read
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DOM19081015.2.62?end_date=31-12-1911&items_per_page=10&query=%22Owen+Forrest%22&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1839

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Sunday 23 January 22 04:42 GMT (UK) »
A couple of items regarding Trooper Lionel Forrest ..
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)