Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 16th JANUARY  (Read 6511 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 16th JANUARY
« Reply #54 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a massive arguement with them.  I told them that if they are refusing to fix it then they have to let me fix it, I am not adding features just restoring an existing feature to a functioning state.  They said I have 2 choices apply and wait (a couple of months with no washing machine) or get the plumber but then if they refuse retrospective permission then I am legally obliged to return it to it's non functioning state as I have to leave the property as I got it.  It was working when I moved in.

Edit: I also stated that I beleived I had carried out my end of the contract by calling them in the first instance and allowing them the opportunity to repair it and that I considertheir refusal worded as "not my problem get a private plumber" as permission.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:38 GMT (UK) »
But it is their problem  >:( I can assure you it's not your responsibility to pay for this. I advise putting an email together for your landlord so there is no misunderstanding or they can deny any knowledge of it. I think you should also check your tenancy agreement which clearly outlines what is the responsibility of the landlord, ie. fixtures and fittings. I shouldn't worry about threats to evict you, trust me tenants have more rights than the landlord!!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm so angry Jo, they're acting like I amtrying to remodel when all I want is to return a valve that was once in working order to a fully functioning state.  And I've not started with the "i want to do it myself" mantra, I only went own that route because their plumber refused to fix it.  They have now said that I can ask for retrospective permission but the foreman dislikes this as people should wait so likely to be refused.  Would a court seriously uphold an order to return a functioning valve in the plumbing to a non functioning state?   
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 14 January 22 13:58 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT,  I understand your frustration but I do advise against sorting this out yourself. Your landlord has the responsibility to sort out the plumbing. he should do it himself or send a plumber round. If you take this on and there are problems later on he could blame you and present you with a large bill to put things right. You could also be in breach of your tenancy agreement if you get a plumber in yourself and they make a botch of it. If you are in breach of your tenancy agreement then the landlord has the right to serve you with an eviction notice. Please don't try to fix this. Pass it straight to the landlord and quote the relevant part of the tenancy agreement which states what his responsibility is.
Good luck and keep me posted.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:44 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT,  I understand your frustration but I do advise against sorting this out yourself. Your landlord has the responsibility to sort out the plumbing. he should do it himself or send a plumber round.

Pass it straight to the landlord and quote the relevant part of the tenancy agreement which states what his responsibility is.

Excellent advice from someone who understands the complexities of landlord-tenant rights and responsibilities.
Get a local councillor onside too. NHS worker doing 12 hr shifts with 2 kids, having to wash uniforms at home, you should be a priority for repair.
Is it a private or public landlord?

Cowban

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
PharmaT,  I understand your frustration but I do advise against sorting this out yourself. Your landlord has the responsibility to sort out the plumbing. he should do it himself or send a plumber round.

Pass it straight to the landlord and quote the relevant part of the tenancy agreement which states what his responsibility is.

Excellent advice from someone who understands the complexities of landlord-tenant rights and responsibilities.
Get a local councillor onside too. NHS worker doing 12 hr shifts with 2 kids, having to wash uniforms at home, you should be a priority for repair.
Is it a private or public landlord?

Public landlord. My friend thinks the plumber just couldn't be bothered.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 14 January 22 21:53 GMT (UK) »
PT, you mentioned  a  friend, could  she/he  help  you  out with  washing  particularly  your  uniform , you  could  always  offer  to  do  something  in  return  as  a thank  you, just  a thought

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 15 January 22 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Here we are and almost another week gone of doing nearly nothing, it is a miserable day here today after having such a nice day yesterday, seems here in Essex we have every other day a pleasant day, it has been misty here this morning

I am a little apprehensive but have been asked to go to a theatre this afternoon, seems there is an unwanted ticket so I accepted, I have made myself a doubly insulated mask as masks must be worn throughout the show, so will test before I go, just have to hope all will be well

I hope all the poorly people are feeling better, Viktoria and MH

Take care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 15 January 22 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I once had a washing machine that wouldn't fill, inlet valve seized up I think. I filled it with water from the kitchen tap using a bit of hose into the powder dispenser tray. That meant the water level got high enough to trigger the water level sensor and start the wash cycle. A bit tedious and would be needed for wash and then again for rinses. Don't overdo filling, just go carefully until machine responds.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott