Author Topic: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER  (Read 1565 times)

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks very much Neale, you've been quite busy :), I'll keep that for later after I've downloaded and entered all my convict stuff. Many thanks.
BANKS, CHIRNSIDE, DUKE, SEATON, WOIDE

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
This is probably Catherine Dowse coming into the colony.
Ship – “Sir John Rae Reid”
Departing London 6 May 1833
Arriving Sydney 24 Sept 1833
Bound for New South Wales and Van Dieman’s Land
Mrs DOUSE is in steerage in the list of passengers for NSW

Her death notice 1846
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28649810?searchTerm=Dowse%20AND%20Catherine
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Attached is burial entry for the Mary Ann Palmer who died in 1850. She was buried at St Davids (NS282/11/1/1 - microfilm at Tas Archives) The age given in the burial entry is 32 and that matches pretty closely to Mary Ann Robinson's birth in 1817? I suspect when the original death certificate was copied someone's misinterpreted the 3 for a 5 and that's how they ended up with an age of 52... ::)

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
There is a public tree for this couple which seems mostly well-researched and has some documentation shown.
Apologies if some of this has already been posted.

The tree gives a death date for Henry Palmer 16 Dec 1877, Launceston and for Mary Ann 6 Nov 1864, Hobart - however there is no link to documentation for these dates.

Mary Ann was born in Hobart, 8 December 1817 (shown on Australian Birth Index)
Mary Ann Robinson
Birth Date: 8 Dec 1817, Tasmania, registered 1818 at Registration Place, Hobart, Tasmania, #581 
Her parents were married: 
Edward Robinson, Elizabeth Burn, 24 Dec 1816 at Hobart, #245

Edward was a convict (born Lincolnshire) arriving per Indefatigable, 1812.  By 1817 he was appointed 'overseer of Government carpenters'
Elizabeth"s birth (from Australian Birth Index), noting date of registration of the birth - perhaps she needed it for her marriage.
Elizabeth Burn
Birth Date1797; Birth Place Tasmania
Registration Year1816, registered at Registration Place, Hobart, Tasmania, #474

Edward and Elizabeth apparently had 8 children.

Judith

Thanks Judith, I did see this public tree but was not enough info (for me) to understand how they came to the conclusion with those deaths for Henry and Mary Ann, obviously some families have more inside info through their descendants that I may not necessarily have access to. Yes a good possibility for Henry Palmer, at least the age is consistent, definitely 70 as died of senility, I'll see if I can find a will or anything about a billiard maker to see if I can make a connection or rule it out.

However, I don't quite follow the Mary Ann Palmer death they have in 1864, I filtered all the Mary deaths in 1864 until I found record for that date and it was for a Mary Ann Watson, b.~1822 Ireland, boatbuilder's wife (we do have Watsons in our family), but in my eyes I am 99.999% sold on Tas Tyger's 1850 Death for Mary Ann Palmer.

And yes, Elizabeth Burn seems to have been baptised age 19, 5 months before her marriage to Edward Robinson, possibly as the father was not named or unknown, I have not yet investigated the family that far back yet.

Many thanks.

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Attached is burial entry for the Mary Ann Palmer who died in 1850. She was buried at St Davids (NS282/11/1/1 - microfilm at Tas Archives) The age given in the burial entry is 32 and that matches pretty closely to Mary Ann Robinson's birth in 1817? I suspect when the original death certificate was copied someone's misinterpreted the 3 for a 5 and that's how they ended up with an age of 52... ::)

Amazing pickup Tas Tyger, thank you!  :o I know I should be 100% sold on this death record. 32 fits perfectly, carpenter's husband makes sense even though I have no other records yet of Henry as a carpenter, and given Mary Ann's father was Overseer of Govt carpenters. I didn't pick up that the death was another copy of an original register. .001% of me would have loved to have seen Frederick (not Henry) Roff as the informant, knowing Frederick is on 2 other family certificates in 1852, Susanna Robinson's death, and his marriage to Eliza Robinson, but given I can't find any Henry Roff's around that time, I should chalk it down to another transcription error on this copy.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re the deaths shown on that public tree - as I said, there is no documentation shown to support those dates, and I couldn't find anything although the 1877 Launceston death of a Henry Palmer seems possible. I couldn't find a will for him, nor anything on TROVE that would help.

Mary Ann's family were very early settlers.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just a follow on from Neale's info. There appears to have been an H Dowse travelling from Brisbane to Sydney in 1860 -

Name:   H Dowse
Port of Departure:   Bresbane Queensland
Port of Arrival:   Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date:   2 Mar 1860
Vessel Name:   Telegraph

This may be Henry Palmer Dowse? At least another possibility that may be useful in the future?

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 May 22 08:29 BST (UK) »
Just a follow on from Neale's info. There appears to have been an H Dowse travelling from Brisbane to Sydney in 1860 -

Name:   H Dowse
Port of Departure:   Bresbane Queensland
Port of Arrival:   Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date:   2 Mar 1860
Vessel Name:   Telegraph

This may be Henry Palmer Dowse? At least another possibility that may be useful in the future?

Thank you Tas Tyger, I'll save that to my possibility files for future, might come in handy. Many thanks.