Author Topic: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER  (Read 1564 times)

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies, Judith for your questions/comments, and big thanks to Tas Tyger (and Matthew) for the source documents which have been extremely informative on both information, and to know banns and original non-transcribed marriage registers exist and provide that little bit extra. Possibly I have more questions than answers on this one now, but grateful to know additional information of convict and New Town and another occupation, and will look to see if that can provide further leads. At a very quick glance Palmer/Robinson seem to fall between the cracks with convict marriage permissions CON52-1-1 (starts Oct 1834) or applications for indulgences go up to 1832.

Unfortunately the name Dowse still continues to baffle me and still can’t determine if it has any relevance/link yet to Henry Palmer DOWSE in Qld in the 1840s, or just a coincidental similarity of name.
BANKS, CHIRNSIDE, DUKE, SEATON, WOIDE

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 April 22 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.
There was a convict named Henry PALMER who was tried at Old Bailey receiving a 21 year sentence and transported to VDL per Earl St Vincent. He arrived 1826.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/

I cannot find his VDL indent.
I am not good at this kind of record search and someone else might do better ;)

Have you looked at him? He might be worth a follow up.
 He was one of the lucky few to receive an absolute pardon which meant he could travel anywhere including out of Australia.

https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=obpt18251027-111-defend607

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 April 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
Considering there were only two convicts named Henry Palmer who arrived in VDL and the one per Surrey (3) died in 1836 - https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD34-1-1p201j2k I’d be pretty confident the  Earl St Vincent convict is your man. This convict’s assigned master was a Captain Wilson and there is mention of of a Captain Wilson having residence on the New Town Road -  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233615162?searchTerm=Captain%20Wilson This would tie in nicely with the residence of Henry Palmer in the1834 Banns.

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 April 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue & Tas Tyger,

I had copied the Earl St Vincent records into my “Possibility” files back in 2014, the wheels of progress move slowly! I’ll take another look at that convict record as I see he was listed as a Gent Servant/Groom, and the Banns refer to occ. Servants for both. Thanks also for the tie into Capt. Wilson and new town road, I’ll try and research that further to see if it gives me any leads. I have a gap of more than 2 years between the marriage and birth of only known child which troubles me a little, and nothing on the parents after her birth.

I questioned if I had the right parents (Henry Palmer & Mary Ann Robinson) connected to the child (my 3rd G-Grandmother Mary Ann Palmer b.1837), I checked back on my factual sources I had to support this, I’ve still come to the same conclusion of these parents. I’ve not been able to find any other children by this name born to parents of those names in Hobart at this time.
•   MAP birth certificate - 1837, father Henry Palmer, Hobart Town, labourer mother Mary Anne. Cannot find any other children born in the 1830s in Hobart to those parents, apart from family of Henry Palmer & Mary Ann Notley in Launceston (ruled that family out)
•   MAP marriage certificate – 1852 in Hobart, age 18 puts her birth ~1834, a witness her uncle Wm Robinson, marriage notice says only daughter of Henry Palmer, Hobart.
•   MAP left Tas for Vic ~1856 with her family, was still in Hobart in Jul 1855.
•   MAP death certificate - 1902 in Vic, age 66 puts her birth ~1836, born Hobart, married Hobart age 17, father Henry Palmer, mother unknown.

I’ve been reading a well documented blog on a Thomas DOWSE (Sydney/Brisbane) whose diaries had been donated to the John Oxley Library http://tomdowse.blogspot.com/2003/02/thomas-dowse-samuel-pepys-of-early.html , transported out when he was 14 due to his mother’s actions, he was the younger brother of a Henry Palmer DOWSE, this researcher has their family attached to Henry Dowse PALMER (of Tas) as his older brother, and states Henry and his mother emigrated from England to Sydney to be with the younger brother Tom, but having now come to light that we’re looking for someone with a convict past, I dare say there is no linkage between Henry Palmer DOWSE (Syd/Bris) and Henry Dowse PALMER (Tas), that I can see if we’re chasing a convict.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 April 22 11:30 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1855 death in Hobart for a Henry Palmer (builder), which mentions a son in New Town?
There seems to be a will associated with this death date, but I am not able to access the image online.
Maybe Tas Tyger can help with the will.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 April 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
There are quite few newspaper mentions of Henry Palmer of NewTown being insolvent in 1855
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2479999?searchTerm=“Henry%20Palmer”
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 April 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
I would like to mention that on at least two occaisions  a person seeming (to me) to be Henry Dowes Palmer has been reported in close connection with Thomas Dowes.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/226462501
And
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3715344

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 April 22 13:59 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1855 death in Hobart for a Henry Palmer (builder), which mentions a son in New Town?
There seems to be a will associated with this death date, but I am not able to access the image online.
Maybe Tas Tyger can help with the will.

Hi Neale, I have a full copy of the the Death certificate, Will (made in Melbourne), Codicil and Probate related to this Henry Palmer, d. 17 Aug 1855, he is a Coach Builder, previously residing in Geelong in 1853. Also had a wife named Mary Ann (Notley) m.1824 in England and child named Mary Ann b. 1825 in England, over a dozen children and many daughters. So I ruled this one out based on the wife and daughter and birth/marriage dates, and my Mary Ann (child b.1837 Hobart) was apparently an only daughter per marriage notice in 1852.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 April 22 23:07 BST (UK) »
The impression I get- no real evidence- is that Henry left his wife Mary Ann at some point early in the marriage.
The 17 year old bride, his daughter, had as a witness at her marriage to WATSON one William ROBINSON. Not her mother and not her father, another relative perhaps. But the wedding announcement made it clear whose daughter she was.....

I wondered whether the point about her parentage was made lest there be any speculation....  ::)
His absence being somewhat noticeable.

Sue