Author Topic: Balteagh Pres. records  (Read 962 times)

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Balteagh Pres. records
« on: Thursday 26 May 22 21:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for any entries for the Long family of Drumsurn Lower and Upper, the lands owned march on the south of Lower to the North of Upper.
I have a Robert Long (1801-1859) who had at least two sons James 1837 and Samuel 1839
Robert is on Griffiths and name crossed out to James Long. John long in Upper was son of William Long ( died before 1863) he married and move to Galliagh in Londonderry.
But the Tithe of 1828 has Matthew Long in Upper and Lower, Samuel Long and Samuel jnr in Lower, William in Upper and William jnr in Lower and Upper. The 1831 census has f families - William and Matthew in Lower, and William, Widow and Samuel in Upper.
The family were Pres. except Samuel ( son of Robert 1859) who married a Rc and moved to Galliagh.
Is there any baptismal records for Balteagh Pres before 1864 and is there any burial transcriptions of the graveyard. I don't know how to figure out who belongs to what family.
Thanks

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Balteagh Pres. records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 22 19:59 BST (UK) »
There are no existing baptisms, marriages or burials for any denomination for Balteagh parish before the onset of civil registration of births (1864).

The Presbyterian congregation of Balteagh was only created in the early 1820s (previously Presbyterians in the area attended Drumachose Presbyterian in Limavady town where there was the 'Balteagh Aisle').

A census of the congregation from circa 1829 names five Long families in the congregation - names head of household with names of chidren (but ignores the names of wives, unfortunately). Only one Robert is listed - as the son of a Samuel Long as follows: it may be that Robert Long married after 1829 so it is possible that this is your ancestor --

Drumsurn
Samuel Long & his wife with children Robert, Mary, Peggy

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 22 20:33 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your reply. I was not aware of the 1828 Balteagh church census, is it available in PRONI or only at the church ?  If in PRONI, where may the census be found in the registers or separate.
I'm interested in all the Longs in this church as I believe they are all connected. Griffiths shows the land farmed in Upper and Lower Drumsurn, the townlands are all connected, so it figures at one time one person owned it all.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 22 20:49 BST (UK) »
PRONI's microfilmed records from Balteagh Presbyterian Church listed on page 101-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide-to-Church-Records-October-2019.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey, these records show no mention of the 1828 congregation census, that's why I was looking for a more specific location at PRONI, ie at the end of the baptisms etc. Or in fact is it only available at the church. I already have the Londonderry 1831 heads of household census and the Tithe and Griffiths mentions, I searched all the Limavady registers and with the exception of a Wallace Long marriage in Ballykelly Pres these Longs are not mentioned. Hence my interest in this 1828 census, it would all the long family members.
But thank you once again for your help.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 07:09 BST (UK) »
The petition of the congrgation is not available at PRONI but has been published in the Irish Genealogist, vol. 13, No. 2, (2011).

https://www.irishancestors.ie/balteagh-co-londonderry-census-substitute-1828-94

Below are the Long entries - they are grouped together as follows -

Drumsurn Upper & Lower
William Long (2 adults) Children: Esther, Mary, Matthew, Elizabeth, Nancy, Jane, William, Joseph
Matthew Long (2 adults) Children: Mary, John, William, James, Oliver, Thomas
Samuel Long (2 adults) Children: Robert, Mary, Peggy
William Long (2 adults) Children: Jane, Mary, Peggy
John Armstrong (2 adults) and wife
Widow Long & And Sister

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 07:16 BST (UK) »
Gravestone Inscriptions

Balteagh Presbyterian
LONG: In memory of William Long of Drumsurn who died 10 May 1852. Also his wife Margaret who died 24 May 1877 -- daughter Mary -- 1885 -- March 1896 -- their mother Jane -- 1909.
(Source - Irish Family Links Vol 2 no 4 1985)

Drumachose Old graveyard
LONG: Sacred to the memory of Samuel Long of Drumsurn who died July 1845 aged 62 years. And Katie Long nee Scott who died March 1858 aged 69 years. Also Thomas Long of Drumsurn only son of Samuel and Katie Long who died 11 May 1890 aged 80 years. And Agnes Long, nee Simpson who died 30 September 1892 aged 80 years. Also, Sarah youngest daughter of Thomas and Agnes Long who died 28 February 1883 aged 25 years.
(Source - Irish Family Links Vol 2 no 4 1985)

PRONI D3773/4 Balteagh Presbyterian GI
LONG - William of Drumsurn d 10 May 1852 his wife Martha d 24 May 1877 their day Mary Ann d 13 Sept 1895 their dau Matilda d 29 March 1896 their son John d 17 Nov 1905, their children Jan d 4 Dec 1909 (90) and thier dau Margaret d 1 March 1910 (75)

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
Brilliant ! Once again I'm indebted to you. I have all the Long deaths from the Civil registration, so I can pair up most of the wife's with their husbands. My lot are through Samuel's son Robert, who I can find only two children James and Samuel. James married Eliza Wallace of Dromore, T/f, and had two sons, Samuel and Cunningham before moving to Scotland, I had hoped to find the origin of the second sons name.  Samuel married and stayed on the farm.
But very many thanks for all the information.

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 October 22 21:43 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the family of Samuel Loughery, he lived in Maine, Balteagh, The children I know of who were born before 1828 are Margaret, George and Ellenor.
 Thank you for any information!
Judi in Missouri USA