Author Topic: Lansdown of High Littleton and later Bath  (Read 1413 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Lansdown of High Littleton and later Bath
« on: Saturday 04 June 22 12:47 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused by all these Lansdowns and may be assigning some to the wrong line because the same forenames keep recurring.

My main interest is Joseph (1779-1867) who married Charlotte Venn in 1803 and moved to Bath.  Can anyone tell me anything about them and their children (and any spouses of those children): dates and places, occupations, or anything else worth recording?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lansdown of High Littleton and later Bath
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 22 13:27 BST (UK) »
Joseph Lansdown, a Tallow Chandler, and wife Charlotte had the following children baptised in High Littleton (all with surname Lansdown)

Henry Venn  bapt. 22 May 1804
Elizabeth Powell bapt. 14 September 1806
Charlotte bapt 2 October 1809
Joseph 2 October 1809
Thomas Powell born 1811 bapt 4 October 1814
Mary Venn bapt. 4 October 1814 aged 9 months
Lawrence born 22 August 1816 bapt. 26 May 1822
Edward born 1 February 1819 bapt. 26 may 1822
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 22 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, emeltom.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 22 19:27 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:SGGL-GPZ

Above is a link to the 1851 Census for Henry Venn Lansdown

www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:SGGY-981

This one gives father Joseph with daughter Charlotte and son Edward in 1851

www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ND-N56

and Joseph, Charlotte and 3 granddaughters in 1861

I think Elizabeth married a William Hammond Haddack or Huddock in 1830. She died and was buried in Bath in 1831.

There is a burial for Joseph in Bathwick 27 April 1867 aged 88
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 22 20:20 BST (UK) »
1841 has Joseph with children Edward and Charlotte, and also a Thomas Lansdown aged approx 50, of independent means

1881 - Charlotte is still around with a collection of Lansdown nephews and nieces. They're all teachers, apart from Henry who is still a student. address 12 Kensington Place, Bath

Charlotte Lansdown    72
Charlotte Lansdown    39
Mary Lansdown            37
Sarah E. Lansdown    33
Henry V. Lansdown    16
Emma Bailey    17 - servant

RG11; 2439; 127; 10;

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
Looks like Charlotte dies q1 1891

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 22 06:18 BST (UK) »
Clever of you to find Elizabeth's death, emeltom (assuming it is her).

As far as I knew, she was married in Bathwick on 19 Apr. 1830 to William Hammond Haddock, landscape painter.  At least, I was told that was his occupation, but I haven't found confirmation anywhere.  He was buried at St Swithin, Walcot, on 6 June 1839, and I wonder why his wife would have been buried elsewhere -- different addresses given, as well as a different spelling for the surname, so there's still doubt, I feel.

I think Joseph born in December 1779, so was 87 when he died, but it was common enough to state age next birthday or "in his 88th year".

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 June 22 07:23 BST (UK) »
Clever of you to find Elizabeth's death, emeltom (assuming it is her).

As far as I knew, she was married in Bathwick on 19 Apr. 1830 to William Hammond Haddock, landscape painter.  At least, I was told that was his occupation, but I haven't found confirmation anywhere.  He was buried at St Swithin, Walcot, on 6 June 1839, and I wonder why his wife would have been buried elsewhere -- different addresses given, as well as a different spelling for the surname, so there's still doubt, I feel.
Marriage for Elizabeth Powell LANSDOWN 1830
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818563fe93790eb7f9c8f6a/elizabeth-poweel-lansdown-william-hammond-haddack-marriage-somerset-bathwick-1830-04-19?locale=en

This could be Elizabeth's burial 1831
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818d3fce93790ec75ad2f01/eliza-haddack-burial-somerset-bath-1831-12-01?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 June 22 08:03 BST (UK) »
Laurence LANSDOWN marriage to Elizabeth POWELL
31 Mar 1777 Stowey, Somerset.
Groom from High Lilttleton
Bride from Stowey
Witnesses Thomas Powell and Thomas Weeks

Children baptised High Littleton, Holy Trinity:
Thomas LANSDOWN 1778
Joseph LANSDOWN 25 Dec 1779
Thomas LANSDOWN 1781
Martha LANSDOWN 1782
Jane LANSDOWN 1784
Elizabeth LANSDOWN 1787
Thomas Powell LANSDOWN 1790
Jane LANSDOWN 1792
John Kingman LANSDOWN 1797
Mercy LANSDOWN 1798

Possible Burial for Elizabeth LANSDOWN 10 June 1804, High Littleton, Holy Trinity

Burial for Laurence LANSDOWN 3 March 1815 High Littleton, Holy Trinity, age 62
Birth for Laurence LANSDOWN 17 Dec 1752 High Littleton. Father Thomas LANSDOWN, mother Jane KINGMAN (married 24 Nov 1751 in Farrington Gurney, Somerset.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)