Author Topic: Illegitimate Children marrying  (Read 634 times)

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegitimate Children marrying
« on: Friday 12 August 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
Am researching a long distant cousin of mine and wondering about his father's name.

He was born as Hugh Henry Arthur Cushnahan in 1885 to his mother Jane Cushnahan and an unknown father.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02629/1969893.pdf

His mother dies in 1892 and he continues to live with his grandparents and aunts + uncles.

He appears in 1901 with them and appears in 1911 with just his aunt.
He was known for his voice and was a popular folk singer in the area, his wife was name Annie so I believe the following is his marriage record:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09750/5538486.pdf

On this record his father is named as George. Would this be some sly hint as to a bio fathers name or is it possible he just made it up? the name George doesnt really appear in this family so it has confused me. Has anyone come across anything similar and if so do you have any advice.

Thank you :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate Children marrying
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
It's quite common for a child whose birth was registered without a father listed to acquire a father on their marriage certificate. Sometimes it's impossible to find the truth but the name given could be the name of birth father, mother's partner, foster father, maternal male relative (grandfather, uncle, etc.) or could be simply a name made up for appearance sake.
Have you looked for a baptism record to see if a father mentioned?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 22 15:29 BST (UK) »

On this record his father is named as George. Would this be some sly hint as to a bio fathers name or is it possible he just made it up? the name George doesnt really appear in this family so it has confused me. Has anyone come across anything similar and if so do you have any advice.

Thank you :)

It was relatively common for those born illegitimate to make up a fictitious father to "save face" when required to provide these details for officialdom.  There is also a slight possibility that if he had any knowledge of his biological father then the details may hint at that but there is really no way of confirming this.

added :- snap  ;D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 22 17:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had assumed it was just a made up name to safe face but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the name on the marriage cert actually meaning anything :) no baptism unfortunately so no mention of a father!

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
My gt gt gt grandmother, Mary Follett, was born illegitimate in 1803, as indicated in the Baptism Register. Her second marriage in 1851 named her father as John Perham. There were some Perhams in the village, not connected to my ancestors, so I don't think the father's name was invented. I wasn't able to identify John Perham - too little to go on with just a name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had assumed it was just a made up name to safe face but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the name on the marriage cert actually meaning anything :) no baptism unfortunately so no mention of a father!

What religion was Hugh's mother?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother has no father listed on her Birth Certificate and on her Marriage Certificate her Grandfather is listed as her Father.

Years later following a DNA test I find a high cM match and if I place the match’s Great Great Grandfather as the Father of my Great Grandmother then this DNA match and the other shared DNA matches that I have with them are linked to my high cM match then all the relationships all tally with DNA Painter’s probabilities

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hugh's mother was Catholic. The baptismal records for the local church (Glenavy and Killead) are on RI for 1849-1899, he doesnt appear there unfortunately.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 22 23:51 BST (UK) »
Is the townland Lurganteneil?
NLI have that in Aghagallon parish via the link to Irish Ancestors.