Author Topic: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?  (Read 24526 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:36 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census address Bolton Street Govan
Hugh Watters age 23 born about 1828 Formunoch Ireland would think it would Fermanagh
Occupation carter
Isabella Watters age 23 born Riccarton
Mathew Fisher age 24 born Riccarton brother in law

Rosie

Addedwww. freecen,org 1851 census his place of birth County Fermanagh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
There was one daughter, (that I know of) Margaret born in 1854. I don't have her birth certificate yet  .. should the 1854 birth certificate for Margaret have Fathers Occupation listed?
Statutory civil registration began in 1855. Before 1 January 1855 there was no such thing as a birth certificate, so you will not find one for Margaret born in 1854.

In 1854, any record you find is not a birth certificate, but a record of baptism. The information in a baptism record can be a sparse as just the father's name, or it can include details of the mother's name, child's name, child's date of birth, the parents' residence, the father's occupation, and the names and residences of witnesses. Some parishes even note whom the child was named after, or the relationship of witnesses to the child, but those are quite rare.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have put baptism I have amended my post  ;)

Rosie

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 13:53 BST (UK) »
The baptism is on Scotlands People other churches  for their daughter Margaret Gemmill Watters born 11 September 1854
Eglinton Street United Seccession  Glasgow baptism 1 October .Parents Hugh Watters and Isabella Fisher .It would be worth viewing to see what information is there
Rosie
Amended
Thanks Rosie17. I have downloaded the birth record and that's all there is to it. The Watters/Waters is actually written as Waters in the record. Would be nice if there was more info but that's how it goes! Cheers
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:04 BST (UK) »

"Hugh, Isabella and Margaret (and possibly Isabella's sister, Sarah Fisher) migrated to Australia and Hugh is listed as Labourer."
What details do you have for their arrival.......ship......port of arrival....date.
What children did they have in Australia?
Where and when did Hugh and Isabella die?
Thanks Wivenhoe, I have the passenger list page (looks as though it is from a ships log over a period of time but I haven't seen one like this before, the first page of the document shows the departure was from Liverpool
arrival point was Adelaide South Australia and the arrival date 23 April 1860.
I don't believe that they had any other children in Australia but I will continue to check that.
cheers
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:06 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census address Bolton Street Govan
Hugh Watters age 23 born about 1828 Formunoch Ireland would think it would Fermanagh
Occupation carter
Isabella Watters age 23 born Riccarton
Mathew Fisher age 24 born Riccarton brother in law

Rosie

Addedwww. freecen,org 1851 census his place of birth County Fermanagh

Wow, you guys are FAST! Thanks that is the right family, as I have a record of Matthew for 1826 Riccarton, he was the eldest of the Isabella's siblings, she was 2nd child followed by Elizabeth, Mary, John?, William Kissock, Sarah and Margaret forn in 1841.
Thanks Rosie

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
There was one daughter, (that I know of) Margaret born in 1854. I don't have her birth certificate yet  .. should the 1854 birth certificate for Margaret have Fathers Occupation listed?
Statutory civil registration began in 1855. Before 1 January 1855 there was no such thing as a birth certificate, so you will not find one for Margaret born in 1854.

In 1854, any record you find is not a birth certificate, but a record of baptism. The information in a baptism record can be a sparse as just the father's name, or it can include details of the mother's name, child's name, child's date of birth, the parents' residence, the father's occupation, and the names and residences of witnesses. Some parishes even note whom the child was named after, or the relationship of witnesses to the child, but those are quite rare.

Thanks Forfarian, I knew it was a Baptism record as SP has a note that it wouldn't be registered as such prior to 1855. It would have been nice to have had the extra detail but with the help I'm receiving its going well anyway. thanks all.
The church record of the marriage of Hugh Waters and Isabella at least included that he was from Govan Parish and she was from 'this' parish.

Cheers,

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:26 BST (UK) »

"Hugh, Isabella and Margaret (and possibly Isabella's sister, Sarah Fisher) migrated to Australia and Hugh is listed as Labourer."
What details do you have for their arrival.......ship......port of arrival....date.
What children did they have in Australia?
Where and when did Hugh and Isabella die?

Hi again Wivenhoe,
The ship was the Grand Trianon (I'm presuming the first page of the document is the details for all the pages (Hugh, Isabella and daughter Margaret waters are listed on page 7).
Hugh Waters, died in Hawker, in the Frome District of South Australia in 29 Aug 1897. Hemorrhage of the heart, mentions his wife as Isabella Howie Waters and his daughter, Mrs John Cocks.
cheers

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 14:44 BST (UK) »
Not having much luck finding him on the 1841 census  ??? and any more family for them

Rosie