Author Topic: Gilmores (and Wilsons) in Ballyagan (near Garvagh)  (Read 1867 times)

Offline ballyagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilmores (and Wilsons) in Ballyagan (near Garvagh)
« on: Wednesday 23 November 22 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all: I am new to researching in these parts, and was hoping to see if anyone can help confirm and add to my unravelling of my Gilmores and Wilsons. It has been quite a challenge, but think I have taken it far enough to share and look for feedback!

My Gilmores lived in Ballyagan, so across the river from Inshaleen were there was another large contingent of Gilmores. I have seen some posts related to the Inshaleen Gilmores, particularly from aghadowey, and so perhaps someone either connects to the Ballyagan line or has come across it when sorted out their own Gilmores.

What I have pieced together comes from a combination of the Garvagh visitations (though I understand those can be problematic), church records, civil death registrations, graveyard transcriptions, Griffith's valuations, and probate indices. The highlights are as follows:

1. John Gilmore & Rebecca [------], Ballyagan. John seems to have died between the 1796 and 1818 visitations, while Rebecca ("Widow Gilmore") seems to have died between the 1825 and 1840 visitations. Children include 2. James, 2. John, Anne, Elizabeth, Jane, and, most likely, 2. Thomas.

2. James Gilmore & Elizabeth [------], Ballyagan. James died 1847 (probate index has a record of a James Gilmore in Ballyagan in 1847). Elizabeth may have died before 1861 per the valuations (she is listed as tenant from 1859 to 1861). Children include John, James, Anne, Robert, and William.

2. John Gilmore & Margaret [------], Ballyagan. John died 27 Jul 1888 in Ballyagan, reportedly at age 102, and Margaret died there 14 Jan 1881 aged 88. Considering the names of John & Margaret's children, Margaret may have been the youngest daughter of Hugh and (presumably Hugh's wife) Rachel McMullan in Inshaleen listed in the 1796 visitations. Children:

• 3. Rebecca Gilmore, married James Wilson, son of William Wilson in Ballyagan, 28 Mar 1843 at First Garvagh. She died before 1855, as James married second Nancy Alexander 05 Dec 1855 at First Garvagh. Rebecca and James Wilson had children Nancy Wilson (born abt. 1845; died 19 Jul 1913 at Ballyagan; married John Gilmore, son of 2. Thomas 10 Jan 1871 at Aghadowey, so I believe they would have been 1st cousins, once removed), William Wilson (born abt. 1848; died 13 Nov 1918 Movenis; married Emma Louisa Bradshaw 17 Jul 1888 at Portstewart), Margaret Wilson (born abt. 1851; married George Moon 28 Mar 1878 at Third Garvagh, Rachel Wilson (born abt. 1852; married Robert James Maxwell 18 Apr 1878 at Moneydig; died 04 Sep 1925 Peterborough, Ontario, Canada), and John Gilmore Wilson (born abt. 1853; married Annie Stevens/Stephens 25 Mar 1886 at Moneydig; died 05 Jan 1941 Peterborough, Ontario, Canada). John Gilmore Wilson & Annie Stevens is my line.
  • 3. Hugh Gilmore, born Ballyagan, baptised 04 Dec 1822 at First Garvagh. Hugh married Jane Wilson 03 Oct 1859 at Third Coleraine. Jane was a daughter of John Wilson and Mary Woodburn, and it appears a first cousin of James who married Rebecca Gilmore in 1843. Jane had first married John Gilmore, son of Robert in Inshaleen, 26 Aug 1845 at Second Garvagh. Hugh died 14 Aug 1908 at Inshaleen.
  • 3. Rachel Gilmore, born Ballyagan, baptised 19 May 1825 at First Garvagh. Married Thomas McIlroy 21 Jul 1870 at Moneydig, and died 16 Nov 1895 in Garvagh.
  • 3. Mary Ann Gilmore, only know through the 1840 visitations.
  • 3. John Gilmore, born Ballyagan, baptised 29 Sep 1830 at First Garvagh, and died unmarried 09 Nov 1898 in Garvagh where he was a grocer. Brother Hugh Gilmore in Inshaleen present at death. Probate calendar indicates administration granted to "James Gilmore of Ballyagan Garvagh said County Farmer the Brother."
  • 3. William Gilmore, born Ballyagan, baptised 27 Jun 1834 at First Garvagh. Seems not to be listed in the 1840 visitations. May be the William who died unmarried at age 30 in Ballyagan on 25 Dec 1875.
  • 3. James Gilmore, born about 1840. Married Mary Jane Maxwell 02 Oct 1877 at the Registrar's Office in Coleraine. Died 29 Dec 1912 at Ballyagan. Gravestone at First Garvagh.

2. Thomas Gilmore: Though perhaps not certain, the Thomas in Ballyagan baptised 17 Mar 1796 at First Garvagh seems most likely to belong as a brother of 2. James and 2. John. That baptism date would have meant he might have just missed the 1796 visitations. Thomas married Margaret Gilmore 18 Sep 1835 at First Garvagh. Their son John Gilmore was born Ballyagan, baptised 26 Dec 1836 at First Garvagh, and died 19 Jul 1914 at Ballyagan. As noted above, John married Nancy Wilson, his first cousin, once removed if Thomas' placement is correct.

In Ballyagan, there was at least one other family in the 1840s, that of Robert & Elizabeth Gilmore. I believe that Robert was the son of David, and that David was in all likelihood a brother of 1. John.

The Wilsons are mentioned above, and William, son of the James who married Rebecca Gilmore, and John, father of the Jane who married (2nd) Rebecca's brother Hugh appear to be brothers. I will likely expand on that later!

Does anyone connect to this family, or perhaps have come across details in your own research that could either correct or expand on what I have above (particularly in generations 1 + 2)?

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmores (and Wilsons) in Ballyagan (near Garvagh)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and good luck the genie journey. Not much i am interested in but the general area [maybe Wilson] but very impressed with your presentation of material. You have obviously dome a lot of work and your have told your story very well. There are some very knowledgeable Rootschaters of Co Londonderry who i hope will be able to help you out and you never know that Gilmore gateway cousin might just be lurking. While you wait avail yourself of the search aspect of Rootschat and have a look at what has already been posted.
Good luck.
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 21:58 GMT (UK) »
A couple of my Wilson notes on Aghadowey that may or may not be of assistance -
Plantation name
1630 Ironmongers Estate Muster Roll
Aghadowey - Hugh Willson & Robert Wilson.

Aghadowey Presbyterian CH
Christina Wilson.m.1858 Alexander Cochrane
William Wilson
John Horner Wilson bapt.1832

John Wilson Snr of Meathpark, Aghadowey
sons John, James, Daughters Mary & Ann.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 22:14 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Some links-

Hugh married Jane Wilson 03 Oct 1859 at Third Coleraine.

Marriage 1859
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1859/09567/5468767.pdf
Hugh Gilmor [sic] living at Ballyagan
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/desertoghill/garvagh/ballyagan/

....as James married second Nancy Alexander 05 Dec 1855 at First Garvagh.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1855/09487/5438181.pdf

Married Thomas McIlroy 21 Jul 1870 at Moneydig....

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1870/11390/8182136.pdf
She married Thomas McElroy at Moneydig Presbyterian Church.

....married Emma Louisa Bradshaw 17 Jul 1888 at Portstewart..

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10773/5928931.pdf

Married Mary Jane Maxwell 02 Oct 1877 at the Registrar's Office in Coleraine.

James GILMOUR married MARGARET Jane Maxwell.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11147/8082975.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline ballyagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
A couple of my Wilson notes on Aghadowey that may or may not be of assistance -

Thanks for the kind words and those Wilson notes Jack!

Offline ballyagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 22 22:44 GMT (UK) »

Married Mary Jane Maxwell 02 Oct 1877 at the Registrar's Office in Coleraine.

James GILMOUR married MARGARET Jane Maxwell.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11147/8082975.pdf

Thanks for those, and in particular for that correction! That was an unfortunate error on my part, especially as "Margaret J. Gilmore, daughter-in-law" was present at death for both Margaret in 1881 and John in 1888, and that was originally an important fact to tie the individuals together.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello from Dublin
I believe that my 4X grandmother was a Wilson of Ballyagan, mother of James Wilson Torrens of The Carragh, Culnaman. He married a Dunlap, who may also have had Wilson ancestry?? I have Gilmour ancestors in Inchaleen and Mayoghil. I have just about given up on all of them, so intermarried and difficult, but it is nice to see someone taking an interest! Ballyagan, have you done DNA? We may have been in touch before I think?

Offline ballyagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 23 01:29 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for only responding to this now!

I do not believe we have been in contact before, and I am actually related to these Wilsons by marriage and do not believe anyone has done DNA on that side (yet).

Looking at family trees on Ancestry, I think your Wilson connection would need to be at least one generation higher than what we know of our Ballyagan Wilsons. But in any event I will sketch out the earlier Wilson information we have below. The sources are basically the same as for the Gilmore information from my original post, along with tidbits from a biography of the Rev. John Wilson of Killymurris (written in 1885) and some other sources. These Wilsons were secessionists, and so do not appear in the visitations themselves.

1. James Wilson & [------], presumably Ballyagan. There are notes in research by descendants of these Wilsons who moved to America that John Huston, who married a granddaughter of these James, referred to "old grandfather James Wilson" in a letter to his mother dated 1857-03-28. This is the only known reference to James, and indicates he was alive in 1857. Children include:

• 2. John Wilson, who married Mary Woodburn, daughter of Matthew Woodburn and Isabella Gilmore, 02 Mar 1810 at First Garvagh. John died 06 Aug 1851 at Ballyagan, age 73, and Mary died at Ballyagan age 74 (both according to the gravestone at the Desertoghill Parish Burying Ground). Children: James Wilson (born 22 Feb 1812 at Ballyagan; only child recorded in First Garvagh records), Matthew Wilson (married Abigail Crawford 25 Mar 1845 at Derry; died 14 Jun 1882 at Miltown Lodge, Derry; minister at Ramelton, County Donegal from 1839 - 1849, and minister at Strand, Derry from 1849 to his death), Isabella Wilson (married John Huston; died 04 Feb 1878 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA), William Wilson (married 1st Nancy Young 05 Mar 1846 at Terrace Row (Third Coleraine); married 2nd Jane Wilson 16 Jan 1855 at Aghadowey; died 10 Mar 1873 at Ballyagan), Nancy Wilson (married Hugh Dunlap; died 18 Oct 1867 at Garvagh), Jane Wilson (married 1st John Gilmore 26 Aug 1845 at Second Garvagh; married 2nd Hugh Gilmore 03 Oct 1859 at Terrace Row (Third Coleraine), Hugh being one of the Gilmores in my original post; died 25 Mar 1913 at Inshaleen), John Woodburn Wilson (died 22 Mar 1857 at Kildrum, Donegal age 31; was minister at Crossroads from 1854 to his death), Margaret Ann Wilson (died 30 Aug 1893 at Coleraine), Martha Wilson (married Hugh Young 08 Feb 1850 at First Garvagh; died 05 Apr 1904 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA).
  • 2. William Wilson, who married Agnes Lynn 24 Jan 1809 at First Garvagh. Judging by the visitations, Agnes must be the daughter of James Lynn and Agnes [------] of Trienaltenagh. There is a note in the biography of son Rev. John Wilson of Killymurris that on his mother's "Dr. Brown of Aughadoey, and all the scholarly and able Brown's of that ilk, were cousins only a step or two removed". This is a reference to the family of Rev. Dr. John Brown of Aghadowey, and these Browns are found in the 1796 visitations listed right after the Lynns (or Lynds) in Trienaltenagh. However, it is not currently clear what the exact connection between the families is. Children are James Wilson (the one who married 1st Rebecca Gilmore at found in my original post; he married second Nancy Alexander 05 Dec 1855 at First Garvagh, Mary Wilson (married John Boyd 30 Jan 1849 at Moneydig; died 10 Mar 1900 at Coolnaman (Culnaman)), Nancy Wilson (married 01 Oct 1858 at First Garvagh William Gilmore, son of John Gilmore and Mary Brown; died 03 Mar 1905 at Movenis), John Wilson (married Eliza Graham 11 Apr 1865 at Third Ballymena, Antrim; died 16 Jul 1884 Dromore, Glarryford, Antrim; minister of Killymurris from 1851 to his death).
  • 2. Jennet Wilson, who married Alexander Smyth 25 Sep 1807 at First Garvagh. Alexander supposedly died 05 Nov 1851 at Aghadowey. Children include James Smyth, Catherine Smyth, Mary Smyth, Alexander Smyth (died Titusville, Pennsylvania, USA), and William Smyth (died Owego, New York, USA). The connection to this family is made with letters from descendants of 2. John Wilson that mention their Smyth cousins.
  • 2. Agnes Wilson, who married Archibald Smyth 21 Sep 1809 at First Garvagh. Children include John Wilson Smyth (who became a minister and died in Haldimand, Ontario, Canada), James Smyth, Mary Smyth, Marth Jane Smyth (married Robert Parks and died in Warkworth, Ontario Canada), and Hugh Smyth. The connection to this family is made with the biography of the Rev. John Wilson of Killymurris, which refers to the Rev. John Wilson Smyth as his first cousin.

Happy to share more if useful!

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ballyagan thank you so much for the fascinating post re Wilsons etc. It is going to take me a while to digest and respond but hope to reply ASAP!