Author Topic: James LUMSDEN  (Read 1276 times)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James LUMSDEN
« on: Sunday 15 January 23 23:53 GMT (UK) »
James LUMSDEN was born at Macduff on 13 Aug 1817, second son of Joseph LUMSDEN and Margaret RAFFAN.

In 1841 he is at Ordiquhill with his mother and a couple of siblings.

In 1851 he is still at Ordiquhill, a baker, with his mother. He is 36 and indicated as married.

The only marriage I can find that would fit is 14 Aug 1847 at Gamrie and Macduff, where a James LUMSDEN married a Sophia FRASER. There is a burial in August of 1848 of an un-named child of James LUMSDEN at same parish.

No sign after that of Sophia. No sign after 1851 of James.

Can anyone find them anywhere. Did they die or perhaps emigrate.

Many thanks
Ian C

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James LUMSDEN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 23 04:20 GMT (UK) »
While looking for other LUMSDENs in Australia who went there from New Zealand, I found a son of James and Sophia in the Victorian records.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if the James I am looking for is the one who married Sophia FRASER. A number of trees on you know where have James born 1823 in Gamrie, son of Robert LUMSDEN and Ann DUFFUS, which makes sense as one of James and Sophia's daughters is named Ann Duffas LUMSDEN.

So still looking for my James born 1817. Who did he marry if it wasn't Sophia FRASER.

Ian C

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 23 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Two stones in Doune kirkyard in Macduff. They are not beside one another.

In memory of Jane Raffan d. 13 Feb. 1852 aged 27. Her father John Raffan d. at sea 30 Nov. 1831 and his son George d. Nashville. Tennesee 13 May 1864 aged 34. Also his wife Helen Lumsden d. 3 Nov. 1867 aged 72.

Erected by James Lumsden baker in Banff to the memory of his father Joseph Lumsden late gardener in McDuff d. 27 July 1835 aged 62.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I note the census returns 1841/1851 but I do not see James from 1861.
Sadly no death records at Ordiquhill, 1851 - 1855, and no death for James from 1855.

Have you considered the marriage below.

1841 census 6 June 1841 (no relationships 1841)

JAMES LUMSDEN   MARRIED ROTHIEMAY   ELIZABETH MACKIE    3/12/1840   BANNS 15/11/1840 BANFF

1851 - Regent Street, Keith
LUMSDEN   Elizabeth   Head   M   F   30   Bakers Wife   Banffshire   Rothiemay      
MACKIE   Jane   Niece   U   F   14   Partly House & Agr Servant   Banffshire   Banff

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2.
Not sure about the RAFFANs, but the James the baker is the James I am looking for as it is known his father was Joseph the gardener.

Colin
Thanks for the census for Elizabeth and the suggested marriage. That looks more likely than any others. Found it on ScotlandsPeople and it said he was a baker.

Did find a Lord Provost Passports listing on Ancestry for June 1858 in which a James LUMSDEN and Mrs LUMSDEN of Banffshire were going to France. Whether it is them or not, nothing clear.

Ian C

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth LUMSDEN died at Lossat on 21 Jun 1878. She was married to James LUMSDEN, baker, so he must still be alive at that date. Found her probate on Ancestry when looking for someone else.

Ian C

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Did find a Lord Provost Passports listing on Ancestry for June 1858 in which a James LUMSDEN and Mrs LUMSDEN of Banffshire were going to France. Whether it is them or not, nothing clear.

Ian C
[/quote]

Hi Ian, my Ancestry membership has just ended but I did look for any emigration on family search without success.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of James/Elizabeth 1840 is on FreeREG but only names her Father.
Her Father was Alexander a Farmer
James a Baker.

Trish :)

Oops just realised you have found it on Scotlandspeople
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I was unable to find a baptism for Elizabeth but I think this may be her, based on the post by Trish. Its on freereg, parish record also on SP.

Elspet MACKIE   Baptism   1 Sep 1816   Banffshire   Rothiemay : Parish Church : Unspecified

Father Alexander a Farmer, mother Elizabeth Taylor abode Knauchland.

Colin