Author Topic: Brennan , Whelan and Finning Ballintubbert queens county  (Read 239 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan , Whelan and Finning Ballintubbert queens county
« on: Monday 27 February 23 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, im wondering if anyone could tell me about the town Ballintubbert Queens Co. how large it was the area in around 1830's please i keep looking at google but all i seem to get is the big house and gardens

i have my 4th gt grandparents Whelan and Brennan coming from Ballintubbert area. i loose track of them, after there 4th child is born , but 3 out of 4 children i have traced through. what ive noticed is that the same couple of names show up on baptisms as sponsers and also witness's to marriage. im told that it was mainly family members or very close friends if no family availble. so ive thought i would suggest that some are Brennans and that could be siblings of my 4th gt grandmother . also another name that is there a few times , ive checked the area for random marriages and births around the same time and notice the name Finning is then married to a Whelan. - i do understand how you cannot presum, i am only trying to piece it all together and get further.

it doesnt help i have 2 DNA to my 4th grandmother but they have her married to a possible brother of Whelan and the dates kinda dont fit, plus this is my maternal line, yet no match with my mum and Ancestry seem to say its my paternal side ???

thankyou Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan , Whelan and Finning Ballintubbert queens county
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you used the Townlands site or Griffiths Valuations ?

https://www.townlands.ie/laois/ballyadams/ballyadams/ballyadams/ballintubbert/

At bottom of Page for your place of interest is a link to Griffiths. The time period is more 1840’s.
You can get to the period map when you go to Griffiths …

Janelle

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 07:42 GMT (UK) »
A couple of items here

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/LEX/Ballintubbert
https://www.townlands.ie/laois/ballyadams/ballyadams/ballyadams/ballintubbert/

1901 census for Ballintubbert shows 89 people including
Cathrine Brennan 60 yrs, single
James Whelan 73 yrs married but living with his nephew and family

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Is this the problem with the ‘possible brothers’ discussed on this thread, where it could just be someone using the wrong information in their tree?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=835353.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your query.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 08:18 GMT (UK) »

You may not have seen this, OP but this is a map of 1837-1842 on the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer showing the townland of Ballintubbert. It shows the townland boundary (in colour) and the site of Ballintubbert House, the school house, church and police barracks.

Click 'Accept' and 'OK'. Click 'X' in the black band (if necessary). Then select the map in Basemap Gallery.
MapGenie 6 Inch First Edition Colour.

https://arcg.is/1HbG9K1

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all, i will have a look at the links.

reply to Heywood- I have decided to ignore the 2 different DNA links , they never got back to me, and since the post about them, Ancestry have now added the parents side to dna and like i said in this post it has them assigned to my fathers side?. They have parents as James Brennan and Mahir surname of mum, but i couldnt piece James and John together as parents, especially when they had link to Johns marriage to Ann not James?.  i know that could be wrong too. so i thought i would try going backwords by collecting the names of sponsers and working there branches, see if i can then tie them in to my 4th gt grandparents , as possible siblings etc. i mean if its a small village of around 89 people as posted by yourself on the reply before on the 1901 census. then its highly they are related.

although Catherine/Kate Whelan stayed in Ireland after marrying Thomas Carbery 2 of there children did go to Manhatten , which is why may have thought that Ann could have followed her, after all Mary and brother John came to Leeds England around 1845 /1847. - which i never understood why James Moss (marys husband) went to ireland and there son was born in Birr Barracks 1845 when he left the Army in 1838 according to his chelsea records, it states he was staying in Leeds his home town?

thankyou Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool