Author Topic: Theatre Playbills  (Read 637 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Theatre Playbills
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
For a year or two, until recently, I had been searching the marvellous collection of playbills on the website British Library Theatrical Playbills 1600-1902  http://blplaybills.org

Now I can't connect to it - a problem I have had for at least a few weeks.  Does anyone understand why this might be?

Thanks and regards.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Theatre Playbills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 23 15:10 BST (UK) »
I just tried the link and it doesn't work for me either  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s7j/    Would this be it?It looks to have lots of PDF files which I didn't look into.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
Treetotal: Thank you, it is reassuring to know I'm not the only one affected.

Hepburn:  Thank you.  The webpage you linked to contains similar material, but I don't understand how it relates to the site that I've been using, or how to use it.  Can one use it to do searches in the playbills?  The dates covered seem different (1660?)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 00:09 BST (UK) »
i can't access it directly either, but it's on The Wayback Machine and I was able to do a couple of searches. Not all results led me to playbills, though, and those with the WM  portico ("birdcage") icon said NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE. Maybe this is normal?
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 23 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Chris.  I tried three searches on the Wayback Archive, using theatres and an actor as search terms, but each time I received the message, "No playbills found".  That isn't normal.  I didn't follow what you meant by the portico icon and "NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE".   

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry, the Wayback Machine can't do searches on the databases of sites it archives. In fact, I was a little surprised to even be able to find and view playbills.

If you look up Rebecca, for example, the 5th and 6th squares show a "birdcage" thumbnail and if you click on it you get the "NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE", but there is some basic index information.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Chris.  When I used "Rebecca" as a search term, I received the same "No playbills found".  I didn't notice any squares.  We must be doing something different.  Can you tell me the date of the snapshot you used on Wayback?

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 23 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. I just went to archive.org, put http://blplaybills.org/ into the URL box and got taken straight to playbills' Search page. There was an error message  in the middle of the page above a big magnifying glass but when I entered a play name I got a chessboard of thumbnails to click on. Wayback seems to have changed since I last used it and there was no timeline and calendar page to select a date, though there is a list of years on the left, along with what look like variousselecrion options I haven't played with.

This page is my results page for Rebecca. Most of the thumbnails go to pages for people called Rebecca rather than playbills.

I've tried the Edge and Chrome browsers on Windows 10.