Author Topic: Ancestor from Ayrshire but where is Wintocks?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor from Ayrshire but where is Wintocks?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 April 23 16:31 BST (UK) »
Street View

I believe we have ruled out this property and location, AlanBoyd.
Forfarian has not found any dwelling or farm at the location off Foulpapple Road on an Ordnance Survery map of 1858. So it is unlikely this is the 'Wintcocks' referred to in letters from 1830s& 40s.

Looby :)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I didn’t read Forfarian’s map post carefully enough. Sorry to have muddied the waters – I’ll try to delete.

Added: deletion successful.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 23 17:11 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I didn’t read Forfarian’s map post carefully enough. Sorry to have muddied the waters – I’ll try to delete.

Added: deletion successful.

No bother, Alan   :)

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:39 BST (UK) »

I took a little look via www.freecen.org.uk at the 1841 and 1851 Scottish Census for Loudoun, and managed to find New Intax and Little Intax recorded. They are next to each other on the Census - Little Intax would be the farm labourer's cottage.

In 1841  the farm name as been transcribed as New Iintax - the family of William Montgomerie live there.  The other dwelling has been transcribed as Little New Intax  and Andrew Donald (farm labourer) and family are resident.

Interestingly ten years later in 1851 the farm name has been transcribed as New Wintox.
A James Neil is the farmer.
The cottage name is Little Wintox and the Donalds still live there.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 April 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Well found Looby.  :D

Interestingly, in the 1851 in the next property the other way is "Whatricks" with the family of Archibald MITCHEL. His nephew is with them - James ORR (12). In the article I found mentioning New Intax in 1869, it says "property of the Marquis of Bute, occupied by James Orr, farmer."

Also just noticed the article mentions a John YOUNG, cattle herd. Possibly a coincidence - YOUNG being quite a common name.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 April 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Well found Looby.  :D

Interestingly, in the 1851 in the next property the other way is "Whatricks" with the family of Archibald MITCHEL. His nephew is with them - James ORR (12). In the article I found mentioning New Intax in 1869, it says "property of the Marquis of Bute, occupied by James Orr, farmer."

Also just noticed the article mentions a John YOUNG, cattle herd. Possibly a coincidence - YOUNG being quite a common name.

Yes, I noticed Whatricks - this is usually spelt Whatriggs  - obviously the enumerator in 1851 would write down what he heard - and the local accent would make the 'ggs sound like 'cks'

Young is indeed common name - and there were many Youngs (still are) in the area.

I must check out Archibald Mitchel .....he could be descended from one of my Mitchells  ;D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 April 23 12:40 BST (UK) »
Interesting about the Marquis of Bute - according to the 1855 Valuation Roll the proprietor of the farm of Newintakes was The Most Noble the Marquis of Hastings. In 1865 the same man is proprietor of Newingtax, and in 1875 the proprietor is Charles Frederick Clifton Abney-Hastings.

Is it possible that the author of the article wrote Marquis of Bute in error for Marquis of Hastings?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 April 23 03:17 BST (UK) »

Is it possible that the author of the article wrote Marquis of Bute in error for Marquis of Hastings?

Quite possible! Must have needed a better sub-editor.  :D Does make you wonder how often facts are not quite correct in newspaper articles. Whilst newspapers are a wonderful tool, I often try to double check information gleaned from the papers.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 April 23 06:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting about the Marquis of Bute - according to the 1855 Valuation Roll the proprietor of the farm of Newintakes was The Most Noble the Marquis of Hastings. In 1865 the same man is proprietor of Newingtax, and in 1875 the proprietor is Charles Frederick Clifton Abney-Hastings.

The 3rd Marquis of Bute from 1848 to 1900 was John Crichton- Stuart  (he gained the title on his father's death when he was six months old).
HIs father was 2nd Marquis John Crichton-Stuart and his mother was Lady Sophia Rawdon-Hastings  daughter of the 1st Marquis of Hastings. Her mother was Flora Campbell, 6th Countess of Loudoun.

So it was possible through his mother's connection to the Loudoun Estate, that the Marquis of Bute may have been proprietor of Intax in 1869 - but then again perhaps the newpaper got their Marquises in a muddle.

Interestingly, Lady Sophia Rawdon- Hastings older sister Lady Flora Hastings was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Victoria's mother  the Duchess of Kent. Flora's illness and early death in 1839 caused a scandal at court which for a time damaged Queen Victoria's reputation. Lady Flora is buried inside Loudoun Kirk.

Looby  :)