Author Topic: where is Chris Morahan buried?  (Read 467 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
where is Chris Morahan buried?
« on: Monday 15 May 23 15:10 BST (UK) »
FindaGrave has a memorial to Christopher Thomas Morahan, supposedly buried in Lisburn cemetery. 
I went all round it but there's no stone or urn with the name Morahan.  Lisburn & Castlereagh council has no record of a Morahan being buried there or in the new cemetery.  The FindaGrave memorial was transferred unrequested and unannounced to the present manager who is unable to help.

A newspaper announcement shortly after his death on 7 April 2017 may perhaps say where the funeral was to take place.  Can anyone help? 

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: where is Chris Morahan buried?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 23 15:26 BST (UK) »
Link to FindaGrave entry for ref

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/220757578/christopher-thomas-morahan

Have you contacted his son Andrew?  There is no grave photo so I wonder if he was cremated and his ashes buried at the cemetary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 May 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very swift reply, Carole.
I did try asking his daughter Hattie, but she doesn't reply to eMails.

He died in Guildford.  He was born in London, as was his father.  I know of no family connection with Northern Ireland, so Lisburn seems an unlikely place to deposit the ashes -- and if so, then why in a cemetery with no labelled urn and without telling the council?  It would seem more logical to scatter the ashes at some favourite beauty spot.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 May 23 18:36 BST (UK) »
Following up your suggestion, Carole, I contacted Andy Morahan via LinkedIn.
He replied that it's none of my business, so he evidently doesn't care that there's a (presumably) inaccurate memorial at FindaGrave.

I still think a newspaper announcement could resolve it,
but I don't have access to old newspapers.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:40 BST (UK) »
Didn't realise he died in England.  I agree with you - something not quite right given the response from his son

Google throws up a lot of obituary's from the stage & screen world etc so I wonder whether the family would have bothered with a personal one. 

Although he died 7.4.2017 - probate wasn't granted until a year later 4.5.2018.  Depending on your curiosity - you could download a copy of his will for £1.50

What is your interest in finding where he is buried?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:45 BST (UK) »
(deleted - same info given above)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
The gentleman was a very well known TV and film director.
I can find a large number of obituaries but the newspaper archives don’t seem to go up to 2017 in order to be able to find any announcement that might give a burial place.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 May 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Just going back to his parents.   His father Thomas Hugo Morahan was b Wandsworth

His grandfather Michael Joseph Morahan was b Carrick on Shannon - Roscommon

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 May 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo