Author Topic: John Mcguire died 1880 in Springfield Sangamon Illinois.  (Read 511 times)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mcguire died 1880 in Springfield Sangamon Illinois.
« on: Thursday 15 June 23 10:42 BST (UK) »
I need help with a possible relation called John Mcguire (maguire) who died sometime around  November in 1880 in the springfield, Sangamon, Illinois.
if he is the same man i am looking for he would have had a wife called Mary and two daughters that i know of,there names where Mary and Catherine, they would be very young at the time of John's death in 1880.
My John should have been born in Ireland around 1847, 1848 or at least that's what some family think.
Any help or information about this John Mcguire would be very much appreciated.
Dave.

Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Mcguire died 1880 in Springfield Sangamon Illinois.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 June 23 17:41 BST (UK) »

These two men showed up in a search. Here is their information from the state's site. The first one's age matches what you think is true about your John's birth year.
Note, there may have been others. If I remember right, the first man didn't show up in the search by name. The first site I found him on gave his Unit and Company, so I looked for him that way.
No guarantee that either of them is your John McGuire.

Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Detail Report Illinois State Archives

Search Criteria: 7 IL US CAV and B

Name
Mcguire, John
Rank Pvt
Company B
Unit 7 Il Us Cav

Personal Characteristics
Residence Auburn, Sangamon Co, Il
Age 18
Height 5' 5 1/2
Hair Black
Eyes Black
Complexion Fair
Marital Status
Occupation Farmer
Nativity Ireland

Service Record
Joined When Jan 23, 1865
Joined Where Springfield, Il
Joined By Whom Cpt Keys
Period 1 Yr
Muster In Jan 23, 1865
Muster In Where Springfield, Il
Muster In By Whom
Muster Out Nov 4, 1865
Muster Out Where Nashville, Tn
Muster Out By Whom Cpt Chickering

https://apps.ilsos.gov/isaveterans/civilmustersearch.do

------------
Search Criteria: Mcguire, John

Name
Mcguire, John
Rank Pvt
Company E
Unit 19 Il Us Inf

Personal Characteristics
Residence
Springfield, Sangamon Co, Il
Age 28
Height 5' 8 1/2
Hair Brown
Eyes D
Complexion Fair
Marital Status
Occupation Laborer
Nativity Down, Ireland

Service Record
Joined When Jun 4, 1861
Joined Where Chicago, Il
Joined By Whom Cpt Raffen
Period 3 Yrs
Muster In Jun 17, 1861
Muster In Where Chicago, Il

https://apps.ilsos.gov/isaveterans/civilmustersearch.do

There is a tree at ancestry for a Thomas McGuire, born 1839 in Ireland. His wife's name was Rosa Tierney. The tree says Thomas was the son of Timothy McGuire and Mary Maloney and had siblings Ellen, John, Kate, and Ann. Ellen is said to have been born in 1838, but there is no information at all for the other siblings. The tree didn't have Thomas' place of birth, other than Ireland.

This is Thomas' page on findagrave. Maybe some information will ring a bell.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188850889/thomas-julian-mcguire

The records of the Springfield Catholic Diocese are on ancestry, and I didn't find your Katherine or Mary being baptized in Springfield in 1875 +/-5 years. Thomas' daughter Kate was there, so the search does work. I didn't find a marriage for your John and Mary in Springfield in those years either.

A Mary I McGuire, daughter of Richard Maguire and Mary Bradley married Thomas E White, son of James White and Margaret Casey or Carey on May 25, 1881, at Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Springfield. Witnesses were Thomas Corkery and Mary A Crudden.

Your Mary probably remarried soon after John's death, if she had two young children. That might be her, but only if her maiden name was McGuire also.

Burials are not in the register.

I didn't find the family in the 1880 census in Springfield, which John should have been on if he didn't die until November.

Do you know Mary's maiden name? It will help if you start looking for daughters Kate and Mary on later records.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 23 17:54 BST (UK) »

A Mary I McGuire, daughter of Richard Maguire and Mary Bradley married Thomas E White, son of James White and Margaret Casey or Carey on May 25, 1881, at Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Springfield. Witnesses were Thomas Corkery and Mary A Crudden.

There's a pretty good chance this is not John's wife. There is a Thomas E White in Springfield who was born in 1859, and his wife Mary was born in 1858. The ages of their children agree with a marriage in 1881, so that is most likely them. You'd have to find death records for that family that gave their Mary's maiden name to say for sure, but you can probably rule that marriage out.

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, one of the two Johns is most likely him , i will take a closer look at both of them and see if i can see anything, i dont know what the maiden name of Johns wife Mary was sorry.
I will be back with more tomorrow to share, hope to have more by then.
Dave.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 23 22:38 BST (UK) »
In short , there is very little that myself and other people know about John Mcguire/Maguire, what can be known for sure is that he came from Ireland.
We do know that he had at least two daughters and from records that they left that they believed they where born in illinois, there info below.

Catherine Maguire born 20 december 1874 in illinois and she married a George rice in Philadelphia in 1902 and she died in 1949 in New Jersey.
Mary Frances Maguire born either in 1875 or 1877 in illinois and she married a Walter Partridge in Philadelphia in 1896, she died in 1952.
i have seen a record for Mary Frances Maguire's marrige in 1896 that shows her mother Mary Maguire had to give consent for the marrige to Walter Partridge and shows her as a widow.
Other people who have researched John Maguire/mcguire have never found his death info, but from a best guess he is belived to have died between 1875 and 1896 and his birth age is also a best guess based on i think his wifes age as she is born in ireland in about 1850.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Catherine Maguire born 20 december 1874 in illinois and she married a George rice in Philadelphia in 1902 and she died in 1949 in New Jersey…
Other people who have researched John Maguire/mcguire have never found his death info, but from a best guess he is belived to have died between 1875 and 1896 and his birth age is also a best guess based on i think his wifes age as she is born in ireland in about 1850.

Was this census for “your” Mary and Catherine?  [Found on Anc*try, under Maguine]

1900 Philadelphia Census
Mary Maguire, born Aug 1850, Ireland.  Widowed.  Number of children: 2; 2 still living. Number of years married: 6. Immigrated: 1866.
Kate, daughter, born Dec 1874, Illinois.
Address: 1831 Callowhill(?)

1866, 1870, and 1872 Philadelphia Directory (there may be other years as well)
James Maguire, drayman, 1831 Callowhill

Was James related? Or, could he have been John?  :-\   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
PA deaths.
Mary Partridge, January 7, 1952, at Philadelphia General Hospital
widowed, born October 10, 1875, Illinois
her usual residence: 6535 Greenway Avenue, Philadelphia
father: John Maguire
mother's maiden name: Mary Maguire
informant: Mrs Emily M Spering, 6535 Greenway Avenue

-------------------
James Maguire could have been Mary's brother as well.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
Good catch, oldohiohome!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is any connection?

1875 Philadelphia Directory
Mary Maguire, widow James, liquors, 314 N 17th

(I looked up the definition for drayman - one who delivers beer for a brewery)
I’ve not yet checked previous directories to see if she was listed prior to 1875.

Added: another definition for drayman - transports “all kinds of goods”