Author Topic: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?  (Read 856 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this death in 1938?

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 15:19 BST (UK) »
Josey, I am sure you can name all the Skillings in Kilmarnock off by heart by now  ::)...but just as background here to that death entry, his family in 1901:

Andrew Skilling 50 carter b. Ballantrae, Ayrshire    
Margaret Skilling 50 b. Dailly, Ayrshire
James Skilling 26
Andrew Skilling 24 carter b. Maybole, Ayrshire
Robert Neven Skilling 21
Jane Skilling 19
Alexander Skilling 17
John Skilling 14

Address 118 Fitchfield St, Kilmarnock

Monica

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 15:38 BST (UK) »
the pedant in me says Titchfield Street.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 16:00 BST (UK) »
Andrew Skilling is still on VR at Southhook Farm, Dreghorn 1940 therefore a different Andrew Skilling to one who died in 1938.
Limekiln Road on VR gives William Andrews as tenant up to 1940, Sarah Andrews father possibly.
hmcc.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 16:26 BST (UK) »
Josey, I am sure you can name all the Skillings in Kilmarnock off by heart by now  ::)...
And they are nearly all called Andrew  ??? or have a son called Andrew.

That death is a good find. Andrew b 1877 son of Andrew Skilling b & Margaret Hewitt I had down married to Agnes Hunter Thomson in 1902
SKILLING ANDREW
THOMSON Agnes HUNTER
1902 597 / 54 KILMARNOCK (AYR),

BUT this death of a SINGLE Andrew ploughman fits in with the father of the children with Sarah [MacDonald] Andrews if they did not marry and being deceased on a daughter's 1946 marriage.

This is what I have for Andrew & Agnes: 1911 they are living at 29 Elmbank St carter [same occupation as 1901] Andrew 33 with Agnes aged 33 & 5 children, 1921 census @ 86 West Shaw Street widowed living with widowed mother Margaret 72/7, aged 45/11 b Maybole ag servant for Robert Drummond & son John [M's grandson] 18/6 ex-soldier o/w ?out of work. Agnes died in 1914
SKILLING AGNES age 33 MMN BANKS F 1914 578 / 1 / 73 AYR

The birth of Andrew the son of Andrew b 1877 & Agnes née Hunter Thomson in 1905 records Andrew snr's occupation as gardener [carter in 1901 & 1911?] and took place at 20 East Shaw Street.

So I think I should get the marriage cert of Andrew & Agnes to check age, address, parents and occupation. Will report back. I have sent a PM Monica. Thanks.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
OK so 1902 marriage:
14 Mar 1902 [very strange that 14 Mar should be same date as purported marriage of Andrew Skilling and Sarah Andrews in 1923...]
Andrew aged 24 gardener s/o Andrew gardener bach & Margaret née Hewitt, Agnes 24 dressmaker spin both of 39 Waterside Street, Kilmarnock which is where marriage took place, witnesses George McIntyre & Mary Stevens. 

So if this Andrew had a family with Agnes, lived with his mother Margaret & son John in 1921 then another family with Sarah Andrews or Thomson 1925 - 1936, then died in 1938 [the statement of being single may just be that officially he was widowed?] then WHO is the Andrew Skilling with 6 children at 64 Annanhill Avenue in the 1946 newspaper report [he failed to send a 14 yr old son to school, I thought this may be my friend's father born 1931] and an A Skilling still living at that address when he reported his father Robert Skilling's death in 1961 ???
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 17:29 BST (UK) »
I now think the Andrew of 64 Annanhill Avenue 1946 newspaper report & the 1961 informant are the Andrew born 1904 - son of Robert Neven [various spellings] Skilling and Margaret Campbell - who married Margaret Wilson in 1927
SKILLING ANDREW WILSON MARGARET 1927 608 / 37 NEW CUMNOCK [I have this certificate, he was aged 22] and died in 1983 [I have this certificate too he was aged 78]; on all these certificates he is an engineer & son of the parents named above.

Andrew and Margaret [Wilson] had I think possibly 7 children one of whom died.

ADDED: I have tried to find an Andrew Skilling on the Glasgow electoral rolls at t he address given on the 1938 death certificate without success.

I now need to reconstruct my database  ;D with yet another theory which may or may not be able to be proved. But thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 17:55 BST (UK) »
the pedant in me says Titchfield Street.
cheers, Ian

More that likely, Ian  ;D

Monica

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:21 BST (UK) »
I just want to put Andrew & Agnes' childrens' names here so that an internet search by their descendants or researchers may find them [rootschat threads are very good at topping search results....]

John Banks Thomson Skilling 1903
Andrew Skilling 1905
Ellenora Banks Skilling 1907
Elizabeth Banks Skilling 1908
Thomas P G Kell Skilling 1910
Alexander Hewit Skilling 1912