Author Topic: Thomas Quick serving in Gibraltar in World War Two  (Read 324 times)

Offline willowandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Quick serving in Gibraltar in World War Two
« on: Sunday 30 July 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out any information on a THOMAS QUICK who may have served in Gibraltar in World War Two?

He was born in 1920 in Bootle, Liverpool, Lancashire. 

His father was a THOMAS ELLIS QUICK and his mother LETITIA QUICK ( nee KIRBY )

I am sorry that I do not have any more information.

Thank you for any help recieved.

Regards,

Pauline.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Quick serving in Gibraltar in World War Two
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
WW2 service records are still with the MOD

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline willowandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thank you for this information.

Regards,
Pauline.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
Are you wanting any other info about him apart from WW2 service?  A tree on Ancestry incorrectly has him b 1919 Wigan but with the parents of your Liverpool Thomas.

A Thomas E Quick was b September qtr 1919 but the RD was Chorlton
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
His mother Letitia died 1921 aged 26

Offline willowandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thank you for the kind offer.

He is a bit of a mystery I have to say.  So here goes he was born in 1920 in Bootle, Liverpool, Lancashire.  His parents were a THOMAS ELLIS QUICK and LETITIA QUICK nee KIRBY they married in 1917.

Unfortunately LETITIA died in 1921 at 107 Rice Lane, Liverpool ( which was the workhouse ).  THOMAS was with her in the workouse when she died.  I have no idea what happened to him after this.

His father a THOMAS ELLIS QUICK for some reason decided to emigrate to Canada and leave THOMAS and JOHN behind ( which seems rather cruel ) I have been in contact with someone who was connected to his second wife's family.

So there is a huge gap of what happened to him between the year of 1921 - 1940

Until my mum mentioned that he used to visit her family home between the years of 1940 - 1948 this was in the Waterloo, Liverpool area.  Her father was a RICHARD KIRBY who was a brother of LETITIA QUICK ( THOMAS'S Mother ).

We don't know where he was living or what he did in the war.  Apart from a very slight suspicion that he may have served in Gibraltar / North Africa.

His brother JOHN QUICK was born in 1918 and may have died in Devizes in 1950.  Again like his brother THOMAS he did not say much.  No idea why.

Both brothers THOMAS and JOHN QUICK seemed to like everything secret.

I have tried to find both brothers on the 1939 Identification Cards - but again with no luck.
More confusion about the tree on Ancestry in Wigan 1919 are they the same parents THOMAS and Letitia.

The THOMAS QUICK I have mentioned I have his birth certificate ( I am confused more than ever )

So any ideas / or suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

Kind regards again for any help

Pauline.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 23 18:04 BST (UK) »
The Ancestry tree says he was born as Thomas Quick in October 1919 Wigan & died there in 1977.

I think they are referring to the Thomas E Quick b Chorlton September qtr 1919 which rules out an October birth.  I have messaged the tree owner via Ancestry.  Thomas E Quick's mothers maiden name was Lawes

Your Thomas's birth was registered in the March qtr 1920 but he could have been born late 1919 & his birth registered early 1920

The 1977 death reg supports that as the birthdate is shown as 17.10.1919 at death.  This makes it more likely to be your Thomas.  If that is the date on the birth cert you have then it's your Thomas

Unfortunately the GRO website is down so I can't check the middle name of the Thomas E Quick b 1919 mmn Lawes

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately LETITIA died in 1921 at 107 Rice Lane, Liverpool ( which was the workhouse ).  THOMAS was with her in the workouse when she died.  I have no idea what happened to him after this.
It was also the infirmary which later became Walton hospital, so it may be she was admitted because of whatever it was she died of. It may not mean that she was in the workhouse itself due to destitution.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
To get more info you would need a copy of his death cert to establish who reported the death. 

No guarantees he married in Lancashire - if at all.  If he did marry in Lancs there are only 2 possible marriages if we ignore any with a middle initial & my bet would be the 1954 one.  However - quite a few births to that marriage - all in Liverpool. 

The other is 1975