Author Topic: FindMyPast has decided I'm a "Nibling" !!!  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast has decided I'm a "Nibling" !!!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 09 December 23 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I am left-Handed too but there are so many myths about it, I always believed that Left-Handers were right brain dominant but that has been debated over many years. Ideas and theories change over time.
There is still so much that we don't know about the mechanics of the brain.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 December 23 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Right vs left!  Let's just remember that only the BEST people are "cack/cody/coddy-handed"   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 09 December 23 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Well we "Lefties" have our own special day dedicated to Left Handers everywhere, that's  in August, Obviously started by a bonkers left hander.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 09 December 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh, shame it isn't 1 August - then I could celebrate with my wedding anniversary, and Yorkshire Day  :-* 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 09 December 23 18:11 GMT (UK) »
"the Telegraph newspaper has printed images of the male brain which shows communication travels from front to back and back to front. Underneath is and image of the female brain, which shows most thoughts travel from one side of the brain to the other side of the brain."

There is no such thing as a 'male brain' or a 'female brain.'  No one can look at a disembodied human brain and tell what sex it is.  Sex differences in lateralization [the connectivity between the right and left sides] are so slight that some large studies find no statistically significant difference at all.  When all is said and done, the only consistent difference is that male brains are, on average, slightly larger [when controlled for body size].  Perhaps we could say that the female brain is more efficient - women can do more with less.

https://theconversation.com/you-dont-have-a-male-or-female-brain-the-more-brains-scientists-study-the-weaker-the-evidence-for-sex-differences-158005
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 09 December 23 18:14 GMT (UK) »
"he didn't want anyone to think that he could not look after his family"

Interesting.  Despite any career interests she might have had, she had to stay home to boost his ego.

Erato my parents were born 1912-1918.   

Actually, my mother joined the local fire brigade as a volunteer, and I remember her using the bone handle of a knife with spit and polish, in order to "break in" the shoe leather lol.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 09 December 23 18:29 GMT (UK) »
"the Telegraph newspaper has printed images of the male brain which shows communication travels from front to back and back to front. Underneath is and image of the female brain, which shows most thoughts travel from one side of the brain to the other side of the brain."

There is no such thing as a 'male brain' or a 'female brain.'  No one can look at a disembodied human brain and tell what sex it is.  Sex differences in lateralization [the connectivity between the right and left sides] are so slight that some large studies find no statistically significant difference at all.  When all is said and done, the only consistent difference is that male brains are, on average, slightly larger [when controlled for body size].  Perhaps we could say that the female brain is more efficient - women can do more with less.

https://theconversation.com/you-dont-have-a-male-or-female-brain-the-more-brains-scientists-study-the-weaker-the-evidence-for-sex-differences-158005

I haven't done any medical study but I did once see on TV the "Milgram Experiment".   My late OH was in the forces and he knew about the experiment too.

<The Milgram experiment was a famous and controversial study in psychology that examined people's willingness to obey authority. Participants in the study were instructed to administer electric shocks to a learner, even when that obedience caused harm to the learner.>

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 09 December 23 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this review in "Nature" - probably the most respected scientific journal in the world.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x

Neurosexism: the myth that men and women have different brains
"The hunt for male and female distinctions inside the skull is a lesson in bad research practice"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 10 December 23 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this review in "Nature" - probably the most respected scientific journal in the world.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x

Neurosexism: the myth that men and women have different brains
"The hunt for male and female distinctions inside the skull is a lesson in bad research practice"

I applaud your defence attempt   :D :D :D

However, according to the old men chatting in the local watering hole - they will never understand women  :D