Author Topic: A link in GEDMATCH  (Read 493 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
A link in GEDMATCH
« on: Thursday 17 August 23 21:06 BST (UK) »
  I have posted my FTDNA results in Gedmatch and have had several results and some replies.
I have recently had this result from a respondent who unfortunately is using a pseudonym; it shows longest segment 121.6 ; total cM 1625.8.
  As other matches have been in the range longest segment 40.0 total cM 200.0 I suspect this person is a really close relative. I have contacted my close relatives, son, daughter, nephews etc. but none of them had had a DNA test. What relatives fall in this range?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A link in GEDMATCH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 August 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
  I have posted my FTDNA results in Gedmatch and have had several results and some replies.
I have recently had this result from a respondent who unfortunately is using a pseudonym; it shows longest segment 121.6 ; total cM 1625.8.
  As other matches have been in the range longest segment 40.0 total cM 200.0 I suspect this person is a really close relative. I have contacted my close relatives, son, daughter, nephews etc. but none of them had had a DNA test. What relatives fall in this range?
It would be the correct amount for your half sibling, niece or nephew, your aunt or uncle, or your grandparent or grandchild.

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 23 16:26 BST (UK) »
Have you uploaded your DNA to My Heritage? The person you have the close match with may have tested with them.
You could also see if any person on Ancestry is using the same pseudonym.
Fair chance that you or one of your brothers has had a child they never knew about.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 23 23:03 BST (UK) »
I would be very careful, you could be opening a can of worms that could even lead to a Paternity Action.

I am aware of someone who answered their door to find a teenager there, “are you my Dad” she asked and as she was the spitting image of him he was dumbfounded, it ended up in Court with a claim on him of £70,000.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
As you have raised this matter again on another thread - have you checked what other sites you match with this person on? I do not know whether you can check Shared Matches on GEDMATCH.
Fair chance that Shared Matches will show that the person is a descendent of both your father and mother.
Have you done your homework and confirmed that you have DNA linked to the people who you think are your grandparents and then the same with your G Grandparents etc.
Could be you and not the other person who has an NPE in your tree.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Have replied to the similar query that you put up on another thread, Roger:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877358.msg7495536#msg7495536
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***