Author Topic: Chirk Mill  (Read 465 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk Mill
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 September 23 09:38 BST (UK) »
I ws thinking about the Mill when I lived in Chirk. It always seemed apart from local life.

We used to go for walks in the steep fields between the Church and the mill, as it was a short cut to theMill Meadow and the Ceiriog. We called these shortcut fields 'The Glen' - are they still called that ?   The part that was just to the south of the vicarage was full of primroses in the Spring and I remember a patch of watercress growing in a damp patch just before we got to the Mill.

I don't remember any children from there attending the junior school in Chirk when I was there, either there weren't any or they had dispensation to attend Shropshire schools -  Weston Rhyn Primary/Junior school and Oswestry for their secondary education.

My cousin wrote a long piece about the Glen in the  1930s. I'll see if I can find it and if she mentions the Mill.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk Mill
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 September 23 09:59 BST (UK) »
 re the newspapers that Maddy referred to~

There are numerous refs to Chirk Mill in  the FindMyPast newspaper collection, which overlaps with the  British Newspaper Archive. Many are from the Oswestry Advertizer (Now called the Shopshire Star??).  However, there are many refs to it in various other newspapers in the collection and lots of adverts.

I'm not sure if Oswestry Library still has a local studies section. If so, they have an extensive collection of old local newspapers on microfilm and I found them very helpful when doing my research.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***