Author Topic: Lookup request please marriage  (Read 1835 times)

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request please marriage
« Reply #36 on: Friday 17 November 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Abhanliath the soldier died in S Africa, heywood do any of the papers name his father because if its not Andrew we are on the wrong track.

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 November 23 12:37 GMT (UK) »
If he was fighting for the British in the Boer War, wouldn't their archives be the place to look? The UK's national archives in Kew keeps most of the British military archives. If you are in London or visit you can go there yourself - you need to book what papers you want to look at first online. Or you could pay a local researcher to do it for you.

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 November 23 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Have looked, not all records survived due to ww2 bombing, J

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 November 23 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh. A long shot, perhaps, but if you go to the National Army Museum in Royal Hospital Road, London SW3 4HT; (phone +44 20 7730 0717) they just might be able to help - they have things like old photos of army pals, diaries, etc.

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, J

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Abhanliath the soldier died in S Africa, heywood do any of the papers name his father because if its not Andrew we are on the wrong track.

No they don’t but I can only see snippets. I think some might refer to family if it is local hence my suggestion re Cork archives.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ork23110

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 November 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks heywood, I suppose at this point it's worth a punt, J

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 17 November 23 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Heywood yes that was the original thread. J
Just a thought where would I find the soldiers death certificate?

You can get details of Irish soldier's deaths in South Africa from the GRO in Roscommon.
But it will not provide any additional information over what you already know.
And it may take some prompting before they acknowledge that they do have the information - which they insist is not a "death certificate". Forget what they called it.

If anyone ever looked at the old annual printed indexes to deaths in Ireland, you may have noticed that at the back of each volume there was an appendix for military and naval deaths of "Irish subjects" overseas. Those deaths include deaths in South Africa, and can be looked up using the reference number like any other index entry.

I went through this process for a great-uncle of mine killed by the British in South Africa in 1900. I don't think his death and the other overseas deaths are  online/included in Irishgenealogy.ie  - wonder why not.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 17 November 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
The Irish death registration normally has the person's address, though sometimes it's just the hospital where they die. If you're lucky it has the profession, address, and (if not in hospital) often a relative who was present at their death. Of course, it'll only be an Irish death registration if he died in Ireland.

Not true. Deaths of "Irish subjects" in the military and navy were recorded in Ireland
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area