Author Topic: Ann(e) Bradbury  (Read 495 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann(e) Bradbury
« on: Saturday 25 November 23 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Ann(e) Bradbury was probably born in Leek in Staffordshire in 1756, though there are trees on Ancestry with different opinions. From the little evidence I have seen, I would favour Leek in 1756.

What is known for sure is that she married Robert Gettliffe on 13 May 1777 at St Oswald in Ashbourne. At their marriage, he is resident in Ashbourne and she in Leek.

Robert was a tailor. They had at  least 8 children together, several of whom went on to become tailors.

Robert died on 30 Sep 1820 at Ashboune.

We know that he was survived by Ann, as she placed an advert in the Derby Mercury on 4 Oct 1870 stating that despite the death of her husband that all their businesses would carry on as usual.

There was another advert, several years later on 15 Feb 1832, also in the Derby Mercury, offering for sale a number of premises belonging to the family, including some in the possession of Ann Gettliffe. So assuming that this is the same Ann - it was a common name in the family - she was still alive in 1832, which is not impossible as she would have been 76 years of age.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I can't find a death or burial for Ann, which is surprising as the family were clearly quite prominent and reasonably wealthy. The births, marriages and deaths of other family members feature in the local press, but I can't find any mention of Ann, who was clearly an important figure in the family and its businesses.

Any help in locating her death would be greatly appreciated.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ann(e) Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 23 11:49 GMT (UK) »

What is known for sure is that she married Robert Gettliffe on 13 May 1777 at St Oswald in Ashbourne. At their marriage, he is resident in Ashbourne and she in Leek.

Robert was a tailor. They had at  least 8 children together, several of whom went on to become tailors.

Robert died on 30 Sep 1820 at Ashboune.

We know that he was survived by Ann, as she placed an advert in the Derby Mercury on 4 Oct 1870 stating that despite the death of her husband that all their businesses would carry on as usual.

It was a long time between Robert dying and that notice appearing in the newspaper unless you have the dates wrong. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 23 12:13 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right, it was a typo.

The two adverts are dated 04 Oct 1820 and 15 Feb 1832, both in the Derby Record.

I did also find a will dated 1841, for an Ann Gettliffe who lived in Leek and died in 1849. I was hopeful until I saw that she was a spinster.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 23 12:17 GMT (UK) »
There is this death registration Q4/1837 on freebmd and family search, sadly no age and I do not see it on GRO site?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2N6P-7SB

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
There is this on Find a grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/206987150/ann-gettliffe

Everything fits except for the adverts you mention in 1820 and 1832 unless one og Robert and Ann's sons was married to an Ann
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 23 14:38 GMT (UK) »
 emeltom - sorry but ut doesn't all fit. For a start, she wasn't born in Ashbourne in 1859. We know from her marriage, that she was from Leek and of full age in 1777, so born before 1859.

Moreover, we only have two definite pieces of information: the record of her marriage in 1777 to Robert and the advert she took out in 1820. I really don't think we can ignore the 1820 advert, which clearly states that she is alive at the time of her husband's death:
"Ann GETTLIFFE (widow of the late Robert GETTLIFFE, tailor) announces that the above business in all its branches will continue, meriting a continuance of favors which her late husband was honoureed with for more than 40 years.
Derby Mercury, 04 Oct 1820"

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 23 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Can I just point out that although her marriage gives her residence as Leek it does not mean that she was born there, just living there at the time of her marriage.
 Also information on gravestones, as with that on death certificates, is only as good as the knowledge of the people who provide it, and therefore it is not always correct.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 23 15:00 GMT (UK) »
As I said earlier her birth in Leek is only probable, though I think the fact that her marriage gives her residence as Leek even though she is marrying in Ashbourne in indicative. But I agree with what you say and I am not wedded to a Leek birthplace. But the date on the gravestone of 1819 can't be wrong and I am convinced by the 1820 advert that she died after her husband.

Ann's daughter who was also called Ann died aged 18 in Ashbourne and was buried on 11 Jan 1820 at Ashboune. She is possibly the body buried in the grave. The area is unfortunately flooded with Gettliffes, many named Ann!

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 23 15:13 GMT (UK) »
ColC - I don't know why it is not on the GRO. It is on FreeBMD and I have seen a scan of the listing, which clearly states Anne GETLIFFE, Q4 1837 in Ashbourne.

Since there is no way to check before ordering, I have requested a PDF from the GRO using the info on FreeBMD. We will see.