Author Topic: Death of Thomas Johnston, Dec 28, 1901,Danforth, Iroquois, Illinois  (Read 364 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death of Thomas Johnston, Dec 28, 1901,Danforth, Iroquois, Illinois
« on: Monday 11 December 23 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thomas J. Johnston was born abt 1818 in Ireland, emigrated to USA, married Isabella Arter/Arlen/Carter from Pennsylvania, abt 1857 and died Dec 28, 1901 in Danforth, Illinois. Does anyone have further info on Thomas such as death certificate naming his parents, or an obit? He is on findagrave but parents are not listed. I have not found his marriage certificate either which might name his parents. First son Edward if that means anything.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas Johnston, Dec 28, 1901,Danforth, Iroquois, Illinois
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 07:07 GMT (UK) »
1900 census Isabelle is listed as a widow age 60 with son James 22 and Belle 18, so he died before
the 1900 census or did he?

Or she was saving face.
--------------
He left a will written 13 August 1894 he was living in Harvey, Cook County Illinois. He was 76 years old.  Probate was 10 July 1902 Cook County.

Wife Isabelle $1
daughter Mary Armstrong $1
Ellen Mulligan ? lot 6 plot 115 of Harvey, Cook County Illinois and all improvements
Children Edward Johnston, William Johnston, John Thomas Johnston, Lizzie Van Hooks, Henry Johnston, James Johnston, Anna Belle Johnston.
Grand daughter Edwina Armstrong.
They share the rest of his estate, his son John Thomas Johnston to hold the share for his grand daughter Edwina Armstrong till she comes of age.

So I would look for a death in Cook County.

They definitely had a falling out and he had moved out as of 1894 , It's a pity the 1890 census was destroyed. Daughter Ellen must have been taking care of him as she got the house.
Ref: ancestry.   

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there is a death notice in the newspaper covering Harvey, Cook County Illinois

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 12:49 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Johnston, age 83, d. 1902 listed on the Iroquois County Genealogical Society's obituary index.  https://www.iroquoiscountygenealogy.org/iroqgene/data/death/obits/obitj.htm  Considering that your Thomas died right at the end of 1901, the obituary might have been published in 1902.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Wow, amondg. Thank you. Your finding of this will explains why there is some confusion as to whether Thomas died in 1894 or 1901. All of the correct children are named, so this is the correct Thomas in the will. So I am thinking that, although the will was written in 1894, the death was in 1901.
And thank you, shelleyesq, for the link to the obits. There are several of his family mentioned. I am going to contact the Iroquois  County Genealogical Society about an obit for Thomas.
I am a Johnston descendant, and one of Thomas’ descendants and I show a DNA match. Maybe this will help me finally solve how I connect to the Johnstons in Ireland. This descendant of Thomas’ also shows a DNA connection to my uncle Kenneth. Thank you again amondg and shellyesq.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There is an online tree that indicates that Thomas's daughter Ellen married William Austin Mulligan. That would be between abt 1883 (when Ellen would be 18) and 1894 when Thomas wrote his will. But I can't find such a marriage. So Mulligan is the correct surname for Ellen in 1894. William died 1913 and Ellen remarried Dec 31, 1918 to Gustav August Suhre (findagrave says 1916). I can't find that marriage either.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I found Thomas J.  in 1900 and he is living with Ellen Mulligan. He is age 82.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01suc/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 22:06 GMT (UK) »
The Iroquois Co. Genealogical Society did send me a short obit for Thomas J. Johnston, published in  their Jan 3, 1902 Times Democrat newspaper. This obit does not list any relatives, even his wife or any children.
However, they cannot find a death certificate for Thomas who died Dec 28, 1901 in his home in the rural Clifton area, Danforth Township, Iroquois Co., Illinois. I cannot find it either. Looking for the names of his parents and I am suspecting his father to be Edward. Wondering if it is misfiled, or misspelt. Thomas was born 1818 in Ireland. Could the date of death be used to find the death certificate? I haven't found his marriage certificate either, although it is reportedly 1858 in Plainfield, Will Co., Illinois to Isabel Rebecca Arter. I know there is much info on findagrave but it does not verify his parents. His firstborn son was Edward in Feb 1859.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks ever so much
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 23:31 GMT (UK) »
In the Danforth Cemetery, Thomas and Isabelle, also children are spelled Johnson. Maybe that is the spelling on the death certificates.
JOHNSON, Isabelle, 1840-1902
JOHNSON, Thomas J, 1818-1901 
JOHNSON, Henry K, 1872-1896
JOHNSON, Grace I, 1874-1874