Author Topic: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)  (Read 1725 times)

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 01:08 GMT (UK) »
That piece of paper for the possible records needs to be very big!

Marriage 1875 - Michael Fallon (father Malachy) and Ellen Dowling
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11196/8102855.pdf

Unfortunately, the parish record doesn’t record any parents

Baptism 24th February 1878
Patrick - Michael and Ellen, Ballyglass -sponsor Catherine Fallon

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633976#page/100/mode/1up

Catherine Fallon Geraghty was already married at this time

Heywood , i did find that register for Catherine as well and noted she was married at the time, so not Catherine Fallon. Also the marriage of Michael to Ellen, as well as Micheal (father Malachy) to a Miss Shine. The elusive Catherine and Michael baptism notices!! thanks Heywood for pursuing.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I may have found the baptism notice for Brigidam Mulligan August 1817 parents being Jacobi Mulligan and Margeritae Manion. St Peters  and Drum . Not sure how to verify this however. Maybe see if I can find Michael and John Mulligan?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I may have found the baptism notice for Brigidam Mulligan August 1817 parents being Jacobi Mulligan and Margeritae Manion. St Peters  and Drum . Not sure how to verify this however. Maybe see if I can find Michael and John Mulligan?

I fear you may be falling into an all too common potential error, one usually denoted as "looking under the lamp posts". That is, looking in locations where records exist, while the records for the correct location simply don't exist.

It is highly likely that your Brigid Mulligan and Malachy Fallon were born before the start of the relevant registers.  The Killenvoy/Knockcroghery registers only start in 1841. If that is where they were from (as it appears), then you simply aren't going to find their baptisms, or marriage either. They were farmers, and farms don't move much (farmers can, but rarely).

Fallon seems to have been a common enough name in the area, and Mulligan is a well known Irish name. Given a number of early enough registers in that area, you will find baptisms with those names. But are they likely to be yours? If further away than an adjoining parish than probably not. In any case, without addresses it becomes difficult to be sure, even if you find one in the same parish - as you have already discovered!

As an aside - it is possible that the Killenvoy registers only start in 1841 because a previous larger parish was divided, such that earlier records might be in an adjoining parish.  I have that sort of knowledge for the Diocese of Ferns, but no idea for Elphin.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 03:16 GMT (UK) »

It is actually September. Address is Queen St., which means it is a birth in the town of Athlone.
Brothers Charles 1816, and Thomas 1820.

From the location alone, does not seem like a farming family.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Further to what I was saying earlier about looking under the lamp posts, I see 600 Fallon baptisms in the parish of Athlone [St. Peter's and Drum]! Including 5 Malachy Fallon baptisms in the period of interest.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Further to what I was saying earlier about looking under the lamp posts, I see 600 Fallon baptisms in the parish of Athlone [St. Peter's and Drum]! Including 5 Malachy Fallon baptisms in the period of interest.
I get what you are saying - grasping at straws! I may have to accept I won't be able to identify these people  and leave it at that. Just being in the area may be enough. Such a shame, before we go to Ireland we are doing Scotland and Cornwall where I have ancestors as well. Their records are so easy to access. Maybe speaking to Niall Fallon (Ballyglass thatched cottage)will give me some information to satisfy.

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned elsewhere the baptism of Michael Fallon, 12th September 1844, Kiltomb parish with parents, Malachid (transcription) and Biddy Mullahan.

Trees have Michael Fallon b 1864
There is a baptism but the parents are Gulielmi (William) and Maria (Mary) Mulligan.
thanks for all your research and help Heywood . I appreciate it.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 05:28 GMT (UK) »
OP - have you done a DNA test?  Finding relatives in the US or Canada can provide answers lacking via Irish sources. Two examples:

I found a Canadian descendant of a man born in Ireland in the 1780s, 50 years before the start of the local parish registers. He fled Ireland in the aftermath of 1798 to avoid a British necktie party. His family papers, plus Irish gravestones, plus the DNA match spanned the 50 years, back to his named parents.

I traced US descendants of a woman born in Ireland in 1830s, 20 years before the start of the local parish registers, who emigrated to Illinois. Her death cert. provided her mother's surname, which was not forthcoming from Irish sources.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 05:47 GMT (UK) »
That piece of paper for the possible records needs to be very big!

Marriage 1875 - Michael Fallon (father Malachy) and Ellen Dowling
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11196/8102855.pdf

Unfortunately, the parish record doesn’t record any parents

Baptism 24th February 1878
Patrick - Michael and Ellen, Ballyglass -sponsor Catherine Fallon

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633976#page/100/mode/1up

Catherine Fallon Geraghty was already married at this time

Heywood , i did find that register for Catherine as well and noted she was married at the time, so not Catherine Fallon. Also the marriage of Michael to Ellen, as well as Micheal (father Malachy) to a Miss Shine. The elusive Catherine and Michael baptism notices!! thanks Heywood for pursuing.

You made me have another look. I didn’t see ‘Miss Shine’ but I think I solved a puzzle (I was puzzled anyway).
1901 - Michael Fallon has a wife Bridget and I wondered re Ellen Dowling.
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Scregg/Ballyglass_Upper/1670239/

Marriage 1892 - Michael Fallon, widower
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10625/5871345.pdf

His son, Patrick, born 1878 married in 1900
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10337/5763369.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk