Author Topic: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)  (Read 1558 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malachy Fallon (1819 ?-1884) and Bridget Mulligan (1816?-1896)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 February 24 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Link to previous thread to save searchers being involved in repetition of what's already been found.  (this is one of the banes of helpers!)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=879887.27

I know this has already been  noted but in fast moving threads it is useful to link more than once. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 February 24 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shanreagh.
I realise that I have repeated records etc but that was purposely done as some of it was not discussed - only posted on the other thread.
As you can see, at times it is a bit of a puzzle which needs careful unpicking.

Here’s my next - and perhaps last - question.
We haven’t yet traced Catherine Ward Fallon, wife of Loughlin/Laughlin according to one birth record.
Would it be possible to for a whole year date error in the probate records?
I hinted at this, in the other thread highlighted again by shanreagh but it wasn’t taken up.

There is a death record for Loughlin Fallon, died 9th July 1883, Ballyglass and a probate record for Malachy Fallon, died 6th July 1884, Ballyglass.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shanreagh.
As you can see, at times it is a bit of a puzzle which needs careful unpicking.

We haven’t yet traced Catherine Ward Fallon, wife of Loughlin/Laughlin according to one birth record.
Would it be possible to for a whole year date error in the probate records?
I hinted at this, in the other thread highlighted again by shanreagh but it wasn’t taken up.

There is a death record for Loughlin Fallon, died 9th July 1883, Ballyglass and a probate record for Malachy Fallon, died 6th July 1884, Ballyglass.

I can't speak for others, but you ask questions which don't have obvious answers. If they did, we wouldn't be debating this!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks as ever, Wexflyer.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:29 GMT (UK) »

It is more than one birth record.

First though I need to comment on parish names. The NLI on its parish registers website has a dreadful habit of using archaic rather than current names for the Catholic parishes. Makes things very confusing when trying to compare with present day churches/parishes, which in the main are the same parish, but not necessarily the same name as the NLI use.

So with that general comment, what the NLI call the parish of Killenvoy is apparently more commonly known as Knockcroghery today.

RoostIreland indexing shows two Fallon baptisms in the parish of Knockcroghery (Killenvoy) with mother Catherine Ward:

Mary Fallon, baptized 6/8/1841, parents Malachy Fallon and Catherine Ward, and
Patrick Fallon, baptized 23/1/1847, parents Laughlin Fallon and Catherine Ward

These baptisms prove two things:
First, Gaffy is correct that Malachy is transmutable to Laughlin, but also
Second, there were two Malachy Fallons in the same parish, having children at the same time.

Note that the Killenvoy/Knockcroghery parish registers only start in July 1841, the month before the baptism of Mary Fallon, so there could easily be earlier children.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 February 24 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Just to point out that there is no doubt that there was a Malachy Fallon, son of Malachy Fallon and Bridget Mulligan - baptized 16/2/1862
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633975#page/15/mode/1up

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:03 GMT (UK) »
In the townland of Toberdan, civil parish of St. John's, Co. Roscommon, I see the following in Griffith's Valuation:
Malachy Fallon
Lacky Fallon
Lacky Fallon, Jr.
I believe Toberdan is in the Catholic parish of Killinvoy/Knockcroghery.

Link for Toberdan townland
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/athlone/saint-johns/lecarrow/toberdan/

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 February 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's valuation shows Malachy Fallon sharing 70 acres in Ballyglass with John and Michael Mulligan.
The most likely explanation is that these are his brothers-in-law.
Griffith's valuation also shows John and Michael Mulligan living in the townland of Lisdaulan, civil parish of Killinvoy.
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/athlone/killinvoy/scregg/lisdaulan/

Under Ballyglass, townlands.ie lists Lidaulan as a bordering townland
Under Lisdaulan, townlands.ie does not list Ballyglass as a bordering townland.
Go figure.
But in either case, they are very close together.

I think it probable that Bridget Mulligan was from Lisdaulan.
That said, there seems to be no sign of any Mulligans in the 1827 tythe valuation - but then there is no sign of the entire townland of Lisdaulan either!

Offline SHRYL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 February 24 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschat friends, I want to thank everyone for their dogged approach to my dilemma of the Malachy  Fallons. I will delve into each link you have given me and try to make something of it.
I have just reserved accommodation at Ballyglass Thatched Cottage Knockcroghery for June this year . It is owned by a Fallon who has communicated with me regarding the Fallons. He has offered his help as well. Very excited to be able to stay in a Fallon abode. I am very new at researching ancestry and all of your input has steered me in a correct projection. It is very confusing having so many people of the same name and the research material a little difficult to obtain. Again thank you and as I proceed I will update my findings.