Author Topic: James Gray McLaren: death information?  (Read 367 times)

Offline Jet Brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Gray McLaren: death information?
« on: Sunday 11 February 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,
Having run of ideas and attempts to trace this relative of mine, I'm hoping that RC might succeed where I have not!
JMG born in Cathcart Glasgow 24/9/24.
Married Alison Agnes McKinnon 26/7/51
divorced: sometime in the 1960s?
Mother:  Rachel Gray
Father:  Robert Findlay McLaren
Trained as a Mental Health Nurse and worked at Ballochmyle Hospital in Ayrshire in the 1950s.
After his divorce, he was last known living in Prestwick, Ayrshire and working as a Grocer (own business?).  Thereafter he disappears of the digital radar....  So trying to find out his death details (assuming he IS now dead) or his whereabouts post the  1960s....
Many thanks for any leads :)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Gray McLaren: death information?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 24 18:45 GMT (UK) »
There’s a death for a John Gray McLaren (with a mother’s maiden name of Gray) in Eastwood & Mearns in 1984. Aged 57 which seems loosely in the right area. GROS ref 650/413.

Might be worth looking at. (The full certificate should give both parents names).
Elwyn

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 24 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Deleted

Offline Jet Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn for your suggestion.  I think this is actually James' brother. The location is about right too I think for where the family lived at one point...  There was some thought that James (Jimmy) had moved to England (possibly the NE?), but again I couldn't trace anything.  I also know that the family, going back, had connections with Ireland.... It's like he has just vanished off the face of the earth!!!

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Problem is that it looks like he might have died outside Scotland and James McLaren is a popular name ...
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Jet Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's quite possible.  I was hopeful that with a middle name this would make finding him a bit easier! ;D

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 24 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Or he could be 100 and alive   ;D

It had occurred to me that Mclean is similar to Mclaren. Sometimes these names are written how they are heard. Maybe not so much in later years?

Anyhow there is on SP a death for a James Mclean in Irvine 1972 no mother's name listed, born 1924. It's an outside chance but it could end up being something like that.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 24 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Or he could be 100 and alive   ;D

It had occurred to me that Mclean is similar to Mclaren. Sometimes these names are written how they are heard. Maybe not so much in later years?

No, that's just a sign of abject desperation! Maclaren and Maclean are completely different names (and have completely different pronunciations) and are simply not likely to be mistaken the one for the other.

Offline Jet Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 February 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course it's quite possible he IS still alive, though his daughter seems to think she remembers being told about his death but, because he was estranged from the family, it doesn't appear to have been validated.