Author Topic: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans  (Read 2703 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 22:15 GMT (UK) »
It's rather odd handwriting, so I think Jane and Thomas' address is Panteg

They're just down the road on the census from  Llwynteg - as is Panteg on this map
 https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/8aa99c11-2ce1-4cce-8163-c517c97e734e

Just a little further up the road is Mount Pleasant home of George Evans when he married Mary

And a little further away is a record of a place called Llwyn y Piad, which might be her address on the marriage
https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/2a197d6a-8878-42de-8d51-74f3c60457b2

Thank you Mabel. On review, I think you are spot on with the address in 1851 actually being Panteg! This fits perfectly, as Thomas Evans, Bachelor, collier of PANTEG marries a Margaret Jones, spinster age 28 of Rhyd-y-Dalan on 22 Jul 1859 in Llanddarog. Fathers John Evans, Farmer and Thomas Evans, Farmer respectively. This Thomas in later censuses gives a consistent year of birth and also a place of birth as Llanddarog.

We still have the discrepancy of Mary Evans father John Evans, Shoemaker and Thomas Evans father John Evans, Farmer. However, I do have other instances in my tree of father’s having different occupations through time and as times, their circumstances and health changed. Mary being older may remember her Father as being primarily a shoemaker while Thomas born later remembers him more as a Farmer.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd seen Panteg somewhere in this thread before!

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Llwyn y Piad is a great guess for the address of Mary Evans in her marriage to George Evans in 1846. If we could find this address in 1841 and who was living there we might get more clues

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 09:37 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 Llainmansel has a John Evans aged 45, occupation - Shoe??
John aged 25
Mary aged 15
William aged 20
Jane aged 14
Joannah aged 10

Hywel

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Llwyn y Piad is a great guess for the address of Mary Evans in her marriage to George Evans in 1846. If we could find this address in 1841 and who was living there we might get more clues

I found Llwyn y Piad in 1841 with Thomas Thomas & Louisa Living there, but next one up in Plas Uchaf, there is a John Evans aged 25, which puts him too young to be the one we looking for!

There is a Jane Evans aged 15 on the same page living at Gilfach yr hen, Llanarthney.  It looks like this location is on the border with Llanddarog.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it's possible Mary might have been living in as a servant at Llwynypiod when she married, so looking back a few years might not help

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have also managed to find Llwyn y pied in 1851. There is an Eliezer Evans age 32 and his wife Emiah (Rees) there, married 06 Apr 1841, Llanarthney. I did consider if they were related Mary Evans as Eliezer’s father is also a John Evans who was a General Labourer of Tower Lodge born abt 1781. Eliezer is with his parents and various other siblings in 1841 but no sign of Mary, Jane or Thomas with them, which makes me think there is no direct relationship between Eliezer, Mary, Jane and Thomas, though there maybe some other connection

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 21 March 24 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted an indirect connection in 1851. Mary Evans (with proposed/probable first husband George Evans) is on page 1 of Llanddarog district 1d register at address Abernant, while her probable brother and sister Jane and Thomas are on page 2 at address Ysanteg.

This was under Llanelly news - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/image-viewer?issue=BL%2F0003035%2F18880616&page=8

I'll email you a copy of the page Roy.

Hywel

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 21 March 24 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted an indirect connection in 1851. Mary Evans (with proposed/probable first husband George Evans) is on page 1 of Llanddarog district 1d register at address Abernant, while her probable brother and sister Jane and Thomas are on page 2 at address Ysanteg.

This was under Llanelly news - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/image-viewer?issue=BL%2F0003035%2F18880616&page=8

I'll email you a copy of the page Roy.

Hywel

Thanks, I have received it. So I think we can assume the probable father of Mary Ann, James Williams, was from the “Llanelly” area. There are plenty of Williams but James is not such a common name as some. They said he looked about 15 but  guess probably just looked young for his age. So any James Williams born abt 1873 or earlier and living in the area are possible contenders.

He could be included in “goal” registers for Carmarthen for 1888, which would give more detail, but I am not sure where to look