Author Topic: James Mumford, Crimean veteran?  (Read 598 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James Mumford, Crimean veteran?
« on: Saturday 24 February 24 02:53 GMT (UK) »
In my ancestor’s (Canadian) obit, it was stated that he was a Crimean veteran.  I am wondering how I might check the validity of this statement, please.

James Mumford, born 12 October 1826, Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, England.  Occupation: Butcher
Parents: James Mumford and Martha Grange
In 1857, he married Susanna(h) Vaus and almost immediately sailed to North America

I have additional details about James, his parents (and other family members) and Susanna.  I am just curious if there is a way to search for his possible involvement in the war, please.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Mumford, Crimean veteran?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 24 09:52 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of James Mumfords on the Crimean War medal rolls:

2235, 3rd Foot ("The Buffs")
3057, 13th Foot

Unfortunately no further information is available online for either of them. It appears that their army records have not survived.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh.   :-\   That’s disappointing but since I know very little about his personal life (beside his possible census images and baptism record) prior to his arrival in Canada, I am pleased that I at least found the possibility of his participation.  I will have a look around for the units you provided; at least I might be able to find out about their involvement in the war.  Thank you very much for your help, ShaunJ.   :)

Added:  there was at least one other James Mumford, born around the same place and time as my James so the records could have been for him/them or even other James’ in England.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I think you can rule out Pte Mumford 3057 of the 13th Foot. He went with his regiment to India in the aftermath of the Indian Mutiny in October 1857 and died there on 2 June 1858 at Bustee.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 24 11:18 GMT (UK) »
There is one more bit of information about Pte Mumford 2235. He was in Ireland in the first quarter of 1851. The regiment left for Malta in early April 1851, leaving its depot company at Boyle barracks in Roscommon. So he should not appear in the 1851 census for England, Wales, or Scotland.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 24 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Andy J2022, that is very helpful.

Thank you as well, ShaunJ.  Very helpful.

I will look at my tree and come right back.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 24 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not added all census images to my online tree.

I have the census images in a binder in our bookcase that I cannot get to at the moment (it’s the middle of the night here).

I do remember that I’ve not found solid proof of James’ whereabouts in 1841 and 1851.  I believe in 1841 he may have been living out of the county with a Mr. Neville, in Dunchurch.  In 1851, a James Mumford was recorded with the Parris family in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire.  However, this James was born in Stansted, Essex and an Ag Lab which doesn’t fit with my James details.  However, also included in the household was a George Patmore.  Patmores were connected with my Mumfords.

I will check my binder in the morning to clarify the census images.  My apologies for not being able to accurately state where he was in 1851.

Added:  again, thank you both very much.  You’ve been incredibly helpful.

1841: was not living with his parents and siblings.
1841 Dunchurch, Warwickshire
William Neville, Butcher…
…James Mumford, age 15, Butcher (J?), not born in the county

I will find the 1851 details in the morning.  Apologies for leaving now.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Just a few thoughts on a possible timeline for James. Since his civilian trade was butcher, he might have been an apprentice, possibly starting when he was about 14. If so, he would probably have been indentured for ~5 years, which would mean he couldn't join the Army* until he was about 19 (~1845). He would have signed up for 12 years and have been expected to serve 7 years with the colours and 5 years in the reserve, and due to complete his service commitment ~1857. So if all that supposition is correct, in 1851 he would have been with the colours, and that fits with the Army Worldwide Index of 1851 which places 2235 Pte Mumford of the Buffs in Ireland. He would have gone to the reserve ~1852. But he would have been recalled to the colours when the Battalion was being brought up to strength to go to the Crimea. After the war was over in the spring of 1856, he would have returned, briefly, to the reserve where he completed the final months of his commitment, and would then have been free to move to Canada.

This seems to fit with the 1841 census information you have for him. However if you have him somewhere else in 1851, he can't be Pte Mumford 2235 of the Buffs.

* There is a specific question on the attestation form which asks if the applicant is an apprentice, and so to have joined before finishing his apprenticeship would have meant he lied about this. Of course this assumes he was an apprentice and not just a butcher's boy.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 February 24 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful summary.  I know nothing about military ways so it was very interesting reading the details.

It does appear to fit.  I started to research the Nevilles, to try to find a link - wondering why he wouldn’t have learned the trade from his father, and could my James be the one in Dunchurch.

James’ wife, Susannah, was baptised in Albury, Surrey.  We’ve wondered if James met Susannah in London…I know that James’ father was in London at least once, perhaps James accompanied his father when he was old enough.

Mr. Neville died during the 1840s.  After a quick search, it appears that one son, William Neville, was born in Effingham, Surrey which, using a 2024 map, is about 9 miles from Albury.  Possibly there is some sort of connection between the Nevilles, Vaus’ and Mumfords?  Or, did James simply meet Susannah one day prior to his departure and there wasn’t any connection between the families. I’ll look into it.

I will also check into the James Mumford from the 1851 Sawbridgeworth census.  Years ago, I just felt like he wasn’t my James.  Wishful thinking?  I don’t know.

Scratch some of the above - I just checked the date of another newspaper article I found last weekend…James’ father sold(?) his goods in 1840 and at some point moved to Fyfield, Essex.  He died there in 1846.  So, the 1841 Dunchurch James could be my James.  Was James’ father ill in 1845 (or earlier) and my James decided to join the military?

I believe James’ uncle settled in Ontario, Canada a few years before James arrived.  Being in the military could explain why James didn’t join his uncle earlier.

There’s a lot to think about and research.  Thank you for providing the timeline - it is very helpful.  I better stop for the night.  Lisa