Author Topic: John Cochrane, Tullyhappy  (Read 216 times)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Cochrane, Tullyhappy
« on: Thursday 29 February 24 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find the death of John Cochrane who in 1911 was residing at Tully Happy age 65. He is living with his daughter Annie ( or Anna) who is 34 I can’t find a death for her either. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Cochrane, Tullyhappy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to the 1911 census showing John Cochrane of Tullyhappy

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Tullyhappy/Keady_More/307292/

and 1901
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Tullyhappy/Keadymore/1036940/

Note age difference....65 in 1911 and 57 in 1901.  Might be explained by birthdates/dates of the census?

Death of John Cochrane's wife Mary on 24/12/1910. The death was registered by daughter Annie.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05407/4510713.pdf

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shanreagh. I compared the 1911 to the 1901 on both household returns their house is after a grocer’s shop. Could such a shop and hence the house be identified today if it still exists from this information?

I believe this is Annie’s birth https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03177/2165367.pdf. We’re she is Anna Maria which I thought was an unusual name for the family.

There was also a brother Thomas. My great grandmother was Elizabeth.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes it can but I have not done this.  You need to find the enumerator's 'run' ie the order in which they took the census around.  The refs to say 'house 14' may not mean number 14 XYZ street but the house 14 in the order the papers were delivered/collected. 

Other clever people will be able to help. 

When many of us help we like to 'go around the traps' as they say getting information about the family, hence the links to the Censuses and deaths of other family members

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

In 1911 it is house 13 and the shop 14. In 1901 the house is 8 and the shop 7 so the enumerator must have went the other way.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 February 24 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks shanreagh. I compared the 1911 to the 1901 on both household returns their house is after a grocer’s shop. Could such a shop and hence the house be identified today if it still exists from this information?

I believe this is Annie’s birth https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03177/2165367.pdf. We’re she is Anna Maria which I thought was an unusual name for the family.

There was also a brother Thomas. My great grandmother was Elizabeth.

NB the spelling of Cochrane seems to be Coughram/Coughrane?

I note that on the birth record for Anna Maria her mother's maiden surname is Irvine....so welcome to the multitudinous, in Northern Ireland,  Irwin.Erwin Irvine/Irvin etc families!   ;)

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 24 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes and also Cockeren, forgot about the first born Mary in 1868. I am fairly sure it is all the same family.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 March 24 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes and also Cockeren, forgot about the first born Mary in 1868. I am fairly sure it is all the same family.

In the 1901 census there is also a George. I am presuming that your gt grandmother was Bessie in the 1901 census sged 18 years.

Have you tracked the children down as if Annie died before her father John may have moved to be with another of the children if close by.