Author Topic: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family  (Read 424 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
Could someone tell me whether there are transcriptions kept anywhere of the MI's in the churchyard of St Nicholas, Brighton.  Might there possibly be some at the Lewes County Record Office, or The Keep in Brighton?  Last time I was down in Brighton in October 2023 when I tried to visit The Keep there had been some kind of a flood and the place was firmly closed...I had been hoping to look for GUILFORD headstones.
Keith

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find any Guildfords on FindaGrave. That isn't to say there aren't any, just that none are listed.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions for St Nicholas Brighton Churchyard - GUILFORD family
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Emelton,
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to look for me!
Generations of the Guilford family definitely got married there, but whether individual members lie in that graveyard I still have to discover...
Keith

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:30 GMT (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk has 16 Guildford burials at St Nicholas betwee 1768 and 1852. I know these aren't MIs but it may help pinpoint family.

Have you thought of contacting the Suusex Family Gistory Group in case they can help.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 24 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh, good, those'll do just fine.
And they don't sound too long ago that the inscriptions are sure to be worn away by the elements.  Must get down to Brighton soon again and have a tramp around the churchyard armed with those details.
Many thanks again,
Keith

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 March 24 14:16 GMT (UK) »
The Sussex Family History Group have a Monumental Inscription Index which includes St. Nicholas, Brighton.

According to the Index there are 44 Guilford burials in the churchyard.  These details are only accessible to members though.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 March 24 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Pheno,
That's very good to know too, thank you for that.  Might see how much they charge for an annual subscription!
Keith

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 March 24 21:25 GMT (UK) »
The Brighton Mortiquarian
Recording Our Deceased
https://mortiquarian.com/about/st-nicholas/recording-our-deceased/

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 24 21:44 GMT (UK) »
There are virtually no grave markers in the churchyard, only large chest tombs are still in place.  Unfortunately, a trip to look for stones may be pointless.

The record office at Lewes closed over ten years ago and the records were transferred to the Keep.

Are you looking for any particular Guilford names?

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk