Author Topic: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.  (Read 5806 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mc Cabe family Rockville Street Belfast.
« Reply #144 on: Friday 19 April 24 08:58 BST (UK) »
There is one last ditched attempt I came across, but couldn't connect the dots to make any true connection, and truly believe only DNA research will help sort it out:

Somewhere many posts ago, Gaffy posted the births/baptisms, and from memory, only John James' stated the McKinstry name, and he was the only one that had a father listed, a fireman.

When Annie lived on Fifth Street, less than a one minute walk from her house (according to Google maps), was a William McKinstry, and his wife and many kids.  He was a fireman.  He was about 20 years older than Annie, so maybe a much older brother?  He was not her father, of that I was sure, but I can't remember why!  He was not RC,  maybe Methodist.  (Sorry, my old notes aren't handy).  He and his family lived on Conway Street for years and years.  He was born out of county, but must have gone to Belfast as a young man, as he married there.
I went down a lot of rabbit holes with this family, but maybe someone else wants to take a peek at them.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 19 April 24 09:21 BST (UK) »
That looks a really good find on the Mc Kinstry connection BBart. Don’t think that has been mentioned before plus the possible Methodist connection which falls into the conversation between my wife and her cousin who stated that she wasn’t a catholic. Brilliant thank you.
History. Militaria.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:10 BST (UK) »
If we're talking about rabbit holes, here's another one I encountered a while back where my efforts came to naught. In short, when a William Byrne married a Mary Irwin in St. Malachy's Belfast in December 1919, one of the witnesses was a John J McCabe:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09691/5515169.pdf

After some digging, I found a baptismal record for the same William Byrne in St. Peter's Belfast in March 1898, I say 'the same' because the baptismal record actually says that he went on to marry Mary Irwin in St. Malachy's in 1919, critically, his mother's surname was recorded as McKinstry.  Here was William in his family in 1901 and the marriage of his parents - John Byrne and Mary Anne McKinstry - in St. Peter's Belfast in 1887:
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls/Ton_Street/952509/
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10816/5944891.pdf

So at this point I was thinking, was Mary Anne McKinstry a sister of Annie and was John J. McCabe therefore witnessing the marriage of William Byrne as his cousin?  Unfortunately, it all started to drift away from that likelihood, for the church record of that 1887 marriage identified Mary Anne McKinstry's parents as John McKinstry and Mary (Hanna) Gannon, who were married in the Church of Ireland church in Lurgan Co. Armagh in 1868:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11458/8210574.pdf

I could neither find a birth to this couple for a daughter Annie, nor did the Lurgan Co. Armagh geography gel with the birthplace of Co. Antrim that Annie gave in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.  But if anyone can see something that I've missed to rule it all back in, feel free. 

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:09 BST (UK) »
We went to the City Cemetery where Annie has been buried. Thanks to the staff there they brought us to a grave she was buried. The strange thing is the grave details is not on their system as it is on the council records. The other problem was there are a lot of unmarked graves in that area as well as damaged headstones. The manager found a grave which had a number on it and from that he paced out to grave . 334. It was a grave with a twisted iron bars going into 4 concrete pillars.The grave had a very large tree growing right out of the centre which I questioned the manager on about as she was buried in 1936 !! But he insisted that was hers and only one person was buried there. The remains of a small stone tablet was buried in the grass which was attached to the grave was unreadable. However we will go back and try and make something of it. They then brought us to the other Grave of which we thought might be Mary Mc Cabe but from what we seen there was 2 others there a Maud and Frederick Mc Cabe which didn’t fit in. I am now looking for the name Mary Mc Kee and Kathleen Mc Kee as looked through all the street directories and they were using that name from 1955 onwards as well as 1910-24. The hospitable incident of Mc Cabe where Kitty had her name as Mc Kee. We are going to the Milltown Cemetery next week to see Eilish’s Grandad and her Granny’s grave as her cousin said there might be 5 people in a grave there. Will let you know what we find out.
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sunday 28 April 24 10:02 BST (UK) »
One other item came up yesterday was that when Kathleen ( Kitty) Mc Kee (Mc Cabe) died she left all her worldly goods to my wife’s Aunt Kathleen Mc Cullough nee Mc Cabe . Would Kitty have had a will made out for this?? and if so what name would she have used??
History. Militaria.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:17 BST (UK) »
One other item came up yesterday was that when Kathleen ( Kitty) Mc Kee (Mc Cabe) died she left all her worldly goods to my wife’s Aunt Kathleen Mc Cullough nee Mc Cabe . Would Kitty have had a will made out for this?? and if so what name would she have used??
Did this come from PRONI's Will Extracts? If so, can you post the full details. It may be that Kathleen McCullough was named as executor (for a Will) or administrator of the estate (if there was no valid Will) but not that Kitty left everything to Kathleen.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Sunday 28 April 24 12:30 BST (UK) »
My wife Eilish told me that her Aunt Kathleen had told the rest of the family Kitty had left her money but it wasn’t a lot plus her Jewellery. From what I can gather Eilish’s father and his brother weren’t to happy about it. We were trying to work out when Kitty died in the City Hospital when she had checked in as Mc Kee and not Mc Cabe and was she buried as Mc Kee ?? As I said earlier we are going to Milltown Cemetery in the morning to try and locate the grave of her granny and grandad and see who exactly is buried there. One wee Question I have is the grave of Annie in the City Cemetery is recorded in detail in the Council records and there is a fee of £1.50 for a copy. Would this provide more detail information about her ??
History. Militaria.

Offline Gerry Burroughs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:03 BST (UK) »
The grave of Mary Mc Cabe had 2 other names one was Maud Mc Cabe died 1937 age 28 the other was Fredrick Mc Cabe  but the head stone was smashed and we couldn’t see any other details. Is it possible to see her death certificate to rule out a connection??
History. Militaria.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sunday 28 April 24 14:16 BST (UK) »
You'll need to view Maud's death certificate on GRONI's site (pay per view).

Belfast Telegraph, 13 Sept.1955: McCabe- September 12, 1955 (suddenly), Frederick McCabe, dearly-beloved husband of Mary McCabe, 23 French Park St. Deeply regretted by his son and daughter-in-law, Joseph and Rosin McCabe, also grandchildren. 81 Beechmount Bungalows.

Could the Mary McCabe in that plot be Frederick's wife Mary?

Added-
Belfast Telegraph, 12 Feb.1963: McCabe- February 11, 1963, at her son-in-law's residence, 36 Moltke Street, Mary, dearly beloved wife of the late Frederick McCabe.
Notice on 11 Feb. says Mary died at her residence so looks like she could have been living with her daughter.

1964 there's an In Memorium Notice for Frederick and Mary inserted by their daughter and son-in-law Mabel & Maurice Fitzsimmons and granddaughter Elizabeth of 36 Moltke St.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!