Author Topic: Mystery Match - Pointers Please  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Match - Pointers Please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
Excellent!  Thank you, that did the trick! 

Tbh, the Ancestry tree is bare bones only and kept appropriate for the particular lines that I need matches for.  I've kept both 'father' and 'son' because they are still relevant but I've moved 'son' across to join other older siblings who are known stepchildren.  Hopefully this tree will provide the Thrulines or provide info for someone to get in touch.

My working/main tree is on Family Historian and that has all the finer detail and nitty gritty.  It contains the family's dark secrets, not that anyone but me is interested  ;D ;D

Thank you.
Davison - London
South - London, Hampshire
Sharp(e) - Hertfordshire, Suffolk
Lee - Ireland
Summerfield - London, Buckinghamshire
Bickers - London, Norfolk, Suffolk
Guiver - London, Hertfordshire, Essex, Cambridgeshire
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 May 24 20:35 BST (UK) »
Nancy - Do you have any brothers or paternal uncles? Since your matches are showing up on your paternal side, it might be helpful to do a Y-dna test. I solved a seemingly unsolvable mystery using Y-dna. My paternal great-grandfather was born to a single mother in a poorhouse in Scotland. I was determined to discover who the father was, even though my genealogy friends nearly all discouraged me, saying I'd never find an individual using dna data. I had my Dad do a Y-dna on FamilyTreeDNA. Examining his list of matches, when this test came back, I saw that 13 out of 37 matches had the same surname. I checked their public trees and contacted the rest, asking about this family surname line. Turns out, they were all from the same county. That gave me a surname and a county to search with. I then went to my Dad's ancestry matches and plugged in the name and location. Eventually, I found five of my Dad's ancestry dna matches who all had the same man with this surname on their trees! Turned out, my mystery man was this man's brother. With corroborating records, I was able to prove definitively who my great-great-grandfather was. I never would have found him without the Y-dna. You could attempt the same process, if you have a male relative living who would do a Y-dna test for you. A brother would be good, since his Y-dna would give you your Dad's dna history, his father and his father, etc. A brother of your father would work, as long as they had the same father, of course. These mysteries CAN be solved!
Kat
Scotland: Reid

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 02:02 BST (UK) »
I bet sorting that out felt really satisfying ladyk  ;D  Have to admit I hadn't given a Y-dna test a thought but it is an option.  Thank you for mentioning it.
Davison - London
South - London, Hampshire
Sharp(e) - Hertfordshire, Suffolk
Lee - Ireland
Summerfield - London, Buckinghamshire
Bickers - London, Norfolk, Suffolk
Guiver - London, Hertfordshire, Essex, Cambridgeshire
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 10:49 BST (UK) »
Lady k impressed by your story and determination

I too know that that range of match is possible but have never followed with anyone

How much is it?
I might recommend my 3rd cousin does it . He didn't know his birth father and now we KNOW back 2 matches
Tho there is ananomoly where matches descend more from an uncle

I suspect inter family adoptions
In this line would paternal y test be able to confirm or disprove
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 29 May 24 03:19 BST (UK) »
The y-test could certainly tell you if one brother is more likely the father than another brother. That's what happened with my case. At first I thought my "mystery man" was a man named Daniel who was a common ancestor on 5 of my Dad's matches' trees. But the expected amount of dna match to these "cousins" of Dad's was a bit on the low side, according to the charts. However, when I looked at the shared dna with the assumption that Daniel's brother was the father, the numbers were perfectly within that range. So yes, you can tell between one brother or another who is the father with Y-dna data. As far as costs, I don't remember now what it was on FamilyTreeDNA - but I know I paid for the lowest number of "markers". I think it was a test out to 30 markers. If you pay more, you can get the test out to 60 markers or more. I figured if I didn't get the information I needed at 30 markers, I'd shell out the rest for more markers, which simply makes your results more accurate and eliminates some matches who are not actually in that line. For example, they may be the descendants of a brother or uncle as in your case. The more markers you pay for, the closer the matches will be to the subject. I'd recommend paying for the lower number of markers, because in order to upgrade, they use the same sample and everything, you just pay an additional fee and they send you the updated results. With the lowest markers used, I was able to see that McLaughlin was the surname that was showing up most in my Dad's matches' names. That was all I needed!
Scotland: Reid