Author Topic: Ullathorne  (Read 983 times)

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ullathorne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 24 23:02 BST (UK) »
So the marriage was at Elsecar!
I see a witness on the certificate is a Frank SMITH, and although a very common name I did notice when researching the family that a male member of an Ullenthorne family used 'Smith' as an alias for some reason. I'll need to backtrack on that.

Yes Monica, possibly she was a Pallister and therefore even her Christian names were changes since I can't find a Sarah Jane otherwise.

Wonder what she was doing in Elsecar and if her 'father' was there also. It doesn't make a lot of sence for a 19 year old female to move from Durhan to Elsecar.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 24 23:49 BST (UK) »
I think I saw that Elizabeth's father, John Ullathorne, also has the alias of Smith?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 24 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monika, I'll need to go there, just been looking again for a Joseph as father in that area. There's a Joseph Ullathorne 1850- 1915 who married Margaret Crawford in 1876 in Stanley Durham. Only daughter they had that I can see is Margaret Jane born and died 1876.

None of the Ullathorne's I find moved away from Durham. Surely Sarah Jane would have not moved to the Barnsley area alone.
Dunigan (Dunnigan) and Goughan of York and Ireland (somewhere). Langleys of stairfoot nr. Barnsley also of Belper. William Taylor who died 1906 in Ardsley nr. Barnsley and born Leicester about 1835...(anything on him) Holdstocks of York.
Barfoots of Hunslet and family of Wright Hadfield of Doncaster (or Rotherham) and Hoyland also Foulstones of Hoyland.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 24 07:13 BST (UK) »
Wonder what she was doing in Elsecar and if her 'father' was there also. It doesn't make a lot of sence for a 19 year old female to move from Durhan to Elsecar

Coal mining.  Some family member must have moved there.

https://www.elsecar-heritage.com/news/historic-engine-ready-to-mark-a-special-year-at-elsecar-colliery

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 May 24 07:24 BST (UK) »

KEVKEV

Did you see the title of this sub-forum?

How to Use RootsChat (Please don't post requests here).

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 May 24 08:23 BST (UK) »
Wonder what she was doing in Elsecar and if her 'father' was there also. It doesn't make a lot of sence for a 19 year old female to move from Durhan to Elsecar

Coal mining.  Some family member must have moved there.

https://www.elsecar-heritage.com/news/historic-engine-ready-to-mark-a-special-year-at-elsecar-colliery

Single mothers-to-be often traveled to other parts in order to give birth.
My grandfather got a young lady pregnant (they subsequently married). She traveled from Highworth, Wiltshire to Plymouth to give birth.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 May 24 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Molly and Monica, very much.
I appreciate the help.
I did look into the possibility of Sarah Jane being illegitimate, even discounting that her father was a Robert, also the Christian name changes for whatever reason. I did look on the Pallister family a little but it got too late and complicated last night.

Here's what I was going by:
    Detail Source
Name   Sarah Jane Ullathorne
Registration Year   1897
[1897]
Registration Quarter   Apr-May-Jun
Registration district   Barnsley
Inferred County   Yorkshire West Riding
Volume   9c
Page   333
Records on Page (Name)
Isabella Benson
Robert Daniel Jackson
Arthur Pape
Sarah Jane Ullathorne.
==================================
Although I can't take for 100% what another tree on ancestry has as her father (Robert) a marriage certificate would verify the father (hopefully) unless possibly no father due to illegitimacy.
      Pity she didn't live until after the 1939 register was taken.
                              Kevin.

Oh I just saw the marriage certificate you so kindly posted Comberton. Thank you!

I had meant to specify the father as Joseph all along and not ROBERT, my mistake.
So we have her age more or less correct and her fathers name and he's a miner.
    Thanks to all.

The source detail that you have quoted above can mislead if you do not understand that in the marriage registrations indices at this date, there are two marriages with the same volume and reference number per page.  So there will be two males and two females.  If there is one  missing from the index or if there is an additional one, then the original from which the transcription was made may be difficult to read or have been mis-transcribed. Then you have to work out who married whom.  It was only from 1912 onwards that the spouse's surname is specified.  In the early years of civil registration, there were four marriages which had the same reference so an even trickier task to work out who married whom.   ;)

The other two names in your example above married each other. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell, thank you for that explanation and clarity it's appreciated.

The link to the Elsecar steam engine and it's heritage was interesting to read. We live in Portland Oregon, originally from Stairfoot so more interesting still. Thankyou. 

Yes kgarrad with the Pape's in Wombwell being miners including my grandfather William born 1900-1980 and most of the males on that side of the family, then the Langleys, then it looks like the Ullathorne's, mining absolutely could have been a reason to move from Durham.

Thanks everyone for your help.
 If Sarah Jane moved with family members to the Yorkshire area I haven't located many deaths in Yorkshire that fit and none in the Barnsley area. Pity the witnesses on the marriage to Pape were not direct family members.

Offline KEVKEV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 May 24 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your time and research on my Ullathorne family.
It's strange that Sarah Jane is not to be found on the 1881 and 1891 censuses, at least not under Sarah Jane Ullathorne, I've even checked Sarah Jane Smith since one Ullathorne person in the past used 'SMITH' as an alias, but nothing fits.
    I have wondered if the name Pallister is part of the family yet can't find a Sarah Jane.         
                      Please keep me in mind if you find a hint.
                               Thank you again, Kevin.