Author Topic: 1841: DELAY Sonning, Wokingham  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Lou1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841: DELAY Sonning, Wokingham
« on: Monday 19 September 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the DELAY family (should be DEHAY) but I found them in SONNING, Wokingham:

James DELAY (sic) 60
Mary DELAY 50
Whamster DELAY 25 (lord only knows what his name should be!!)
David DELAY 20
Auslin DELAY 15
Addfinns DELAY 15 (again, I can only imagine what it really says!)
Benjamin DELAY 14

I would expect that James is a surgeon/ similar.   I would appreciate any help on this.  I don't know how difficult it would be to look through Sonning, but?   

Thank you for reading this far! 

Louise

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: 1841: DELAY Sonning, Wokingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
Louise,

In response to this post and your original for DEHAY.   I have been back over the images using the reference you have and still can't find them, although the images are pretty bad.   I think you need someone who can look at the originals at the BRO.

Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline mcrem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise
I concur with Harry - some of the images are very poor but I think I have found your Delay family.
The folio reference is H 107/28/14 page number is 12.
The address is Market Place, Wokingham as far as I can make out. Names are as follows:
James Delay age 60 Surgeon
Mary age 50
Lancelot age 20
Amelia age 15 or 16
next name unclear but my guess is Adolphus age 15
Benjamin age 10
can't make out the last boy but he was 10

Hope this helps

Mike
Northamptonshire:Priestley
Somerset/Wiltshire:Rodway-Kittlety
London:Eeles
All:Cremonini

Offline Lou1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
Harry: thank you for revisiting work I know you have already done on my behalf; it is appreciated.

Mike: Thank you so much for that.  The names I was expecting concur with those you give:
From my researches to date, there should be:
James (surgeon), Mary (wife), Thomas, Augustus (James Alexander), Launcelot, Amelia, Adolphus and Benjamin.  Some of these children would have been old enough to be 'elsewhere' in Berkshire, however. 

The ages you give fit with the expected ages, give or take a year or so (as expected with the 1841 census).   This is fantastic: the children were born in Market Street and in 1851 they were in Market Street, so I would say you probably right in saying it looks like Market Street. 
I will take Harry up on his advice to visit Berkshire RO at some point in the future but right now it is not possible with travel and work commitments.  December will be the earliest opportunity I get and knowing my luck, it'll be closed for the xmas break.

Thank you once again.  Louise

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 22:49 BST (UK) »
Louise,

I am confused but I hope you are not.  I live in Wokingham and while there is a Market Place in the town there is and as far as I know never has been a Market Street.  I have checked the history of all the likely streets and none of them had that name in the last 300 years.

Sonning is ten miles from Wokingham and I don't know whether it has a Market Street.  Today it is part of Wokingham District.  The wheel turns.  In the 17th century Wokingham was part of the Manor of Sonning but it does appear that some time after that Sonning was referred to as part of Wokingham.

Were your family in Wokingham or Sonning?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lou1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I have checked what I have and it is Market PLACE (not Street) Wokingham where the family were living in 1851.  In fact, I have James DEHAY surgeon in directories for Wokingham in 1830 onwards at Market Place.  He also practised elsewhere in Berkshire, including Yateley and Wallingford (Poor House surgeon for a number of years).  We know that James DEHAY held 2 properties at one time during some of this period, practising at one and living at another. 

Sonning?  Well, I know Sonning is not part of Wokingham as I checked on the map but included it on here 'as it was' on another website, hoping for some info.  I was lucky! 

Anyway, thank you for your kind response/ query: I had realised it was a strange request!   Since you live in Wokingham, would you know of any records the record office hold which may be useful in researching my James DEHAY surgeon?  He is mentioned on their website.  If you google "James DEHAY" and Wallingford, you will see mention of him in an article BRO hold. 

Cheers and any advice/ suggestions very welcome.   Louise

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Wokingham Historian up to number 11 and there is no mention of the family.  It reminded me that I must obtain the more recent issues.  I will check in the local history section of the library later in the week to see if there are any references.

regards

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Lou1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you, David: I would appreciate any help/ advice you can offer.

Cheers,
Louise

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise,

I went searching in the reference library this morning.

Piggotts Directory 1830 - Surgeons - Dehay, Market Place

I also looked at the 1841 census film, and it is not easy to read and so I will claim to be no more likely to be correct than Mike but my reading is slightly different.  A lot of what I wrote down was determined by previous knowledge.

James Dehay 60 Surgeon
Mary - 50 F
Lancelot 20
Amelia 15 F
Benjamin 14
Augustus 20 (The first letter could be anything)
Mary Lane 25(She is preceded by a single / which usually indicates another family in the same house)
Jane Baby 45 Servant
Emily Kitson 20 Servant
Rosa Kitson 15 Servant

I couldn't workout where in the Market Place, which is triangular, the house might have been.

In 1841 part of Wokingham was in the Hundred of Sonning and even part of the Market Place but not this part (Sorry i omitted to write down the name of the hundred).  Even more confusing if you walked the 200 yards from the Market Place along Rose Street as you came to All Saints Church you crossed into Wiltshire.

regards

David