Author Topic: Drury / Duncombe. Now completed  (Read 3624 times)

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Drury / Duncombe. Now completed
« on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out about Joseph Henry Drury. Who was the father of Eva Elizabeth Drury. She was born on the 1 st of March 1908. I have her birth cerificate. Her mother was Emma Drury nee Duncombe. I believe Joseph Drury was killed in the first world war. I can find lots of information about Emma, but nothing about Joseph. Like where was he born or any marraige details for him and Emma.HELP
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drury / Duncombe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
You've told us when Eva was born, but not where.  Is Emma the one aged 11 in 1901 in Bracebridge (or had she married by then)?

OK, this was their marriage so we have something to start from-

Marriages Dec 1907
**DRURY    Joseph Harry        Lincoln    7a   1161    Scan available - click to view
**DUNCOM__    Emma         Lincoln    7a   1161    Scan available - click to view
GADSBY    Adah         Lincoln    7a   1161    Scan available - click to view
THACKER    Edmund         Lincoln    7a   1161   

The marriage cert will of course give his parents' names.

Could he have come from Sussex?

DRURY, Joseph Harry   Christening
   Christening Date:   10 Jun 1883   Recorded in:   Ripe, Sussex, England
         Collection:   BTs
   Father:   James DRURY
   Mother:   Emma

What was Joe's occupation - could this have been him (1901 census)?

Joseph Drury  18 Sussex Eastbourne East Sussex Eastbourne Railway Parcel Porter

Ripe is about 10 miles from Eastbourne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
hi Geoff,
Many thanks for the quick reply. Eva Drury was born at Bracebridge. The problem is that the birth Certificate says that his name is Joseph Henry and not Harry. The Emma in Bracebridge is the right one. I dont think he came from Sussex. Most of what I know about my ancesters is that they all came from Lincolnshire or one of the counties close by.
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
I don't think there's any doubt that that is the marriage in 1907, is there?  Duncombe is an unusual name.  Henry and Harry are the same name, it's just that Henry is more formal.  What was his occupation in 1908?

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 05 14:06 BST (UK) »
hi Geoff, many thanks again for the info, all I have to do is find out when and where he was born?
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 05 14:11 BST (UK) »
Marriage cert would give his father's name. So would a parish record lookup.

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 05 14:18 BST (UK) »
cheers Geoff. will have to fork out some more money and get the cerificate. I think you are right about the marraige. Was a little unsure to begin with as there was a rumour that my grandma was born out of wedlock.Thanks for your help as I have been going round in circles for the past 2 months.
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 November 05 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Have purchased the marriage certificate,only problem now is that his father was also called Joseph Drury.and have been on Ancester.co.uk and there is no record of a Joseph Drury born about 1885 with a father called Joseph Drury. Any ideas would be very helpful.
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline katiebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 05 02:13 GMT (UK) »
I have two "Joseph Drewry's"[Drury] in my family tree but they were both born in 1809-Doncaster and Owston. have not been able to find anything on them except their births. Karin
Drewry, Leggott, Fowler, Sayles