Author Topic: Rookwood Cemetery  (Read 22038 times)

Offline Puggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rookwood Cemetery
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 16 July 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any Bloomfield buried in the Rookwoord Cemetery.  Two in particular.  Charles Spencer [AKA William Charles] Bloomfield, died 1837, who may have been transferred from the Old Devonshire Cemetery in Sydney.  The other is his wife Eliza Vittoria Bloomfield, or her second marriage, Eliza Vittoria Horsey.
Thanks for any help
Carol
Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank you.

Offline airwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
HI
I'm a newbee so I'm not sure if I should post here.
I'm looking for my great grandparents
Samuel Bates  died 17/05/1941 and his wife Martha Bates died 23/02/1930 and are buried in the Anglican section of Rookwood,  trouble is I have been told conflicting information at the office  as to where they are buried as there is reportedly (which surprised me) there is no headstone even though they were very well off and I can't find them online
If anyone is going to Rookwood can you help me  unravel this puzzle as I'm unable to travel.
thanks
Gail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 28 December 14 00:47 GMT (UK) »
The Anglican and General database at Rookwood hasn't been functional for ages.
http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/index.php/search-online

There is no headstone.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17765533
Sydney Morning Herald   20 May 1941
BATES —The Relatives and Friends of the late SAMUEL BATES, late member Soudan Contingent, are informed that his remains were privately interred YESTERDAY, May 19, 1941, at the Church of England Cemetery, Rookwood. 
T. J ANDREWS. A.F.D.A.,
214 Liverpool Road. Ashfield. Phones L2073 and UA4038

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 28 December 14 01:02 GMT (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16627896
Sydney Morning Herald 24 Feb 1930
BATES The Relatives and Friends of Mr S. BATES, Miss LILLY BATES, Mr. and Mrs. ALFRED BATES, Mr. and MRS. A. BUTLER are invited to attend the Funeral of his beloved WIFE and their MOTHER; to leave Killawera, 274 Homer-street, Earlwood, THIS DAY, at 2 p.m., for
Church of England Cemetery, Rookwood, by road, per motor service Friends travelling by Funeral Train, alight No 4 Cemetery Platform and proceed to Section 9.
T. J. Andrews,
Funeral Director
21-25 Enmore-road, Newtown.     Phones L2873 and 4

2092/1930 
23 Feb 1930
BATES Martha
Father Aaron  Mother Rebecca
District Marrickville

12953/1941
17 May 1941    
BATES Samuel
Father John  Mother Sarah Ann
District Burwood

You need to give as much possible information when seeking information from any cemetery.  It would appear that Martha was buried in Section 9.

I usually attach a copy of the death certificate to my enquiries.

I think you can only make an enquiry per phone.  I have always found the staff at Rookwood Anglican and General to be helpful. 

Cheers
Cando

Request on Beginners Board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=708477.0

Offline airwest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 28 December 14 01:32 GMT (UK) »
 Hi 
Thanks for all the  great information everyone  ! you have all been so helpful
I did give them all the information I had at the time dates etc
you said; :)  Cando ,there was no headstone ,does that mean there was never one ?
Im surprised as he was devoted to his wife and grieved badly for her as a man of means
and left a great deal of money to his daughters

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 28 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
You are missing the point of the information I have posted.  You mention there is confusion as to their burial locations and I posted that Martha was buried in Section 9. It may help locate her grave location.

Between 1981 and 1992 surviving headstones at Rookwood Cemetery were transcribed and neither name is on the index.  Not everyone believes in placing headstones on graves or posting death and in memoriam notices. 

If you are unable to visit, why not write a letter to the Rookwood Anglican and General office attaching their death certificates, newspaper funeral notices which give the funeral director's name.

Cando